How To: T-56 removal & FRPP TOB install

efnfast

Established Member
Thanks for the write-up; made it very eaasy to do.

I agree with the above though on the clutch fork - if you pull it down (i.e., like you're going through the cover) it pops right off. Prying it like you did can snap those clips.

agreed that one actually works better with no swivels, strange as it may seem. i think it helps if you drop the rear of the tranny as much as possible too

but i have always found that reinstalling that bolt WITH the tab for the breather tube is where i do the most cussing lol

With the tranny attached to the frame i found it impossible to get to that bolt. However, drop the crossmemer, causes the tranny to sag, which then gives you PLENTY of room. about 2-3ft of straight extension coming along the transmission and you're golden. No need for swivels.

But yea, f*k that retaining tab, lol!

dirtydave289

Established Member
Going to be using this real soon. Great write up!

How long is it taking you guys to get the trans out, replace TOB, trans back in ready to roll?

The C4 in my 66 is a good 6 bolts and it just falls out:banana: but I'm new to the whole T56 thing!

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
Your 1st time might take you a good while, but i've had mine in and out a few times and can have it done in an afternoon. Just take your time and have an extra set of hands. It's HEAVY!

djervin

Established Member
To Wicked46: T H A N K Y O U! You have no idea how much this thread/ write up helped me over the weekend. I had a FUBR'd TOB and broken retainer sleeve, with the new TOB and Lethal Performance TOB retainer sleeve, it is all smooth now. Thanks again.

Maverick281SVT

Write up is on point love the details and pics... is there a specific torque the front case of the tranny calls out for on the bolts i went ahead and ordered the Lethal Performance retainer sleeve and was wanting to know before the instal

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
To Wicked46: T H A N K Y O U! You have no idea how much this thread/ write up helped me over the weekend. I had a FUBR'd TOB and broken retainer sleeve, with the new TOB and Lethal Performance TOB retainer sleeve, it is all smooth now. Thanks again.

Write up is on point love the details and pics... is there a specific torque the front case of the tranny calls out for on the bolts i went ahead and ordered the Lethal Performance retainer sleeve and was wanting to know before the instal

No problem fellas... Glad to see my write-up is still helpful :beer: ... Not sure on the tourqe specs on the case. Maybe someone will chime in on your question...

gargstang

Established Member

Did mine yesterday and the torque spec is 55 lb/ft on those. You won't believe how easy the tranny part of this is.

five 0 ninja

Established Member
Wanted to say this thread helped me out also. Just started the removal process on my 02 saleen extreme. It has the 6 speed but apparently it's not identical as the cobra model. Although it looks the same from the outside. But the top 2 bolts were not much trouble at all with a few feet of extensions and no swivel. I probably would have been under there for a while cursing trying to get them with swivels. We will see how it goes back.

My question is it sounds like the after market tob is not a good oPtion? Are they all junk or just a couple brands? And does anybody know the part number for the ford one you all use? Is it just the stock replacement for the 03 04 cobras? Hopefully that works on my tranny also. And what fluid do you guys run? I was thinking of the red line synthetic D4 ATF. I've used that in my t5's. And how many quarts do they use? Thanks for all the help.

five 0 ninja

Established Member
One other thing. Does anybody know or have there's apart now so you can measure the length of the pivot stud? I'm having clutch issues but don't think it's the clutch. Think I have the wrong lenght stud. Fork bottoms out on the bell and doesn't let the clutch fully engage and there isn't a lot of clutch dust. Waiting for a friend to come help lower the trans so I can check the stud and the clutch. Thanks again guys.

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
Does the pressure plate/clutch need to be aligned to the flywheel other than the dowel pins? I am reusing my flywheel which has a friction insert that has already been changed earlier today.

Last edited:

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
Thanks!! That video made reference to a mark on the flywheel and pressure plate and since I am reusing mine I became concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread