How to switch from SCT flip chip to handheld???

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I've got several issues that I've read are caused by the SCT flip chip. The tach resets/ bounces under wot and the car has started shutting off randomly under wot acceleration.

I also need to adjust parameters in the tune to eliminate the shift fuel cutout issue. I'd also like to have the handheld to do cel diagnostics at the track. So what better time to move from the flip chip to a handheld. I'm planning on taking the car to be dynod just haven't decided where yet.

What's all involved with going from a SCT flip chip to a SCT xcal programmer?

Also anyone know of a reputable SCT tuner in Kansas Nebraska or Oklahoma?

Thank you,
Anthony

gmcconn1

Established Member
Just need the SCT handheld and tune file if you can get it. Remove the chip, and flash the tune with the handheld.

Can't help with a good tuner in your area but there are a lot of mail order guys that do really good work.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Since you're doing all the other work you might as well tune it yourself. Then you can adjust for any changes you make. Like porting the intake.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Yeah the tuner is out of business so I cant get the tune file.

What worries me is the tuner told me he uploaded a cobra baseline to the flip chip?? If I remove the flip chip then the car will think its a GT again correct? Or will this matter?

Car needs to have a dyno sheet to be class legal so a trip to the dyno isn't a waste of time.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Unless he reflashed the ECU itself then yes, once you remove the chip it'll go back to the GT program.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
He said he had flashed the ECU to cobra specs. My question is can you do that with SCT programming? That's something I would think only a dealer could do.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
AFAIK it's not something that can be done with SCT. Unless he has a set up that he can plug directly into the ECU.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Possibly just loaded a n/a cobra baseline tune??? That would make more sense wouldn't it?

Armageddon

Established Member
Easy button: When you get your SCT programmer plug it in and turn the key to the on position.
-With the programmer plugged in go to the "Vehicle Info" menu and select "Read Strategy". Write this down.
-Turn key off, unplug programmer and then disconnect battery.
-Remove your chip from the ecu
-Reconnect battery, turn key back to "on" and repeat the first step.

If the strategy retrieved the second time matches the first then the calibration on your chip was setup around your ecu (possibly with Cobra values, but a good starting point for your new tuner).

If you can't get the tune file from your original tuner then you will need a new tune (either mail order or custom dyno tune).

Chris @ Wichita Dyno tunes with SCT (also a dealer) and can get this squared away for you as well.
1851 S Hoover Rd, Wichita, KS 67209
(316) 295-4285

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Thank you for the info. I may have to head down his way he's closer than anyone else, would go there for sure but to be class legal I need to have the car dynod on a dyno jet. That's the only thing holding me back from going there.

03Steve

Established Member
I should be able to help recover the file off the chip. Sending a PM..

Last edited by a moderator:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Pm replied to.

I called the dyno and I'm just gonna retune the car. Xcal 4 is on order and I'm gonna start at square 1. Not like the tune is that good anyways the damn thing has the fuel cutout between shifts. So a new tune should fix that.

Users who are viewing this thread