How To: Swap a Mach 460 6-Disc into an SN95

Status
Not open for further replies.

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
I've had a few questions about this swap and since I've got some free time I figured I'd get around to posting some more detailed information that should help people out. This is my first write-up and unfortunately I didn't take many pictures while making my harness so if there is anything that is unclear please let me know. I would also like give credit where credit is due and thank user reivaxtorres for his previous write-ups and information as I have combined a lot of his information with mine to make one comprehensive piece of information.

***Disclaimer***
In order to use this method you WILL have to be comfortable with doing some splicing and re-wiring of the factory radio harness. I know a lot of people aren't thrilled about modifying factory harnesses (as was I at first) but in the end the route I ended up taking was pretty easy and was just as clean as a factory wiring harness. If this doesn't settle with you then I suggest not using this method.

There are conceivably ways of doing this in a plug and play fashion by stripping the necessary wiring and connectors off of a car factory equipped with the 6-Disc, but I felt this would be too much work when compared to simply splicing.

Alright let's get started with the basics...

What you will need:
-Wire strippers
-Electrical tape
-A double DIN HVAC/Radio bezel from a newer 6-disc equipped vehicle.
-A newer style 2001-03 or 04+ Mach 460 6-disc headunit
-The appropriate wiring pigtails for your specific 6-disc headunit:
----For the older style 01-03 unit with square black plugs use:
METRA Part # 71-5700
METRA 71-5700 The 71-series harnesses are designed to plug <B>into the factory radio</B> 98 Ford Premium Sound into OEM Radio HARNESS;

----For the newer style 04+ unit with gray rectangular plugs use:
METRA Part # 71-5520-1
METRA 71-5520-1 The 71-series harnesses are designed to plug <B>into the factory radio</B> 2003-Up Ford/Lincoln/Mercury Into OEM Radio Power and 4-Speaker Fully pinned One 24-pin plug, one 16-pin plug and one 8-pin plu HARNESS;

(shop around for the best prices because I about shat when I saw how much they wanted for just a radio pigtail.)
-Wiring Diagrams: These are an ABSOLUTE MUST for several reasons. You can not simply use what the printed functions on each wire of the METRA harnesses say they are because a lot of them are just flat-out wrong. Also, Ford opts to use non-standard wiring colors, making deciphering what wire does what without a diagram extremely difficult. I suggest having the radio wiring diagrams for both your vehicle and the vehicle from which your new 6-Disc unit was removed.

Here, reivaxtorres explains the differences between the new and old units, and also how to prepare the dash for the new 6-disc.

"for all you guys who are wanting to do this, GET THE 04 UNIT!!!!! worth the little extra $$$ you will spend as you can hook up so many different things to this from xm to ipod (and be able to control the ipod from your radio!!! you will need the kit tho)

this is the front of the 01-03 unit, notice the "am/fm" and "CD" buttons are on the bottom, and "Shuff" is on the top left corner....
2001-2003CD6front.jpg

this is the back of the 01/03 unit, notice the black, almost square ports:
2001-2003CD6rear.jpg

and this is the 04 unit, notice the new location of the "CD" button on the left top corner, as well as the "SAT" button next to the "am/fm" button:
2004CD6Front.jpg

and the back of the unit, notice the gray rectangular ports:
2004CD6Rear.jpg

ok, now time to remove the bezel, which is easy. first, remove the cd player and the radio with the ford radio removal tools ($5 at autozone), they come with instructions on how to use them. then simply remove the screws located here...
Mach460Sound-screwremoval.jpg

and follow the "guide" of the bezel to the very back, there is a screw there as well (the guide is where the radio and the CD player attach to, a rail)

next just pop it off with force, it will come out.

now you should have something that looks like this:
RadioandBezelremoved.jpg

now here is where the fun part begins. you will need to modify part of the dash to allow for the new radio size, which means you need to cut some stuff off. circled in red are what you need to cut off:
Whatneedstobecutoff.jpg

i didnt have a dremel at the time, so i actually used a kitchen knife. turned out ok i thought:

before:
leftmountingtabforoldradio.jpg

after:
Leftmountingtabremoved-closeup.jpg

and after all the cuts:
Lowersupportremovedfornewswitches.jpg

and now a test fitting of the new bezel:
Newbezeltestfit-modified.jpg
"

Alright, thanks reivaxtorres.

Since we've got the dash all cleared out let's go ahead and disconnect and remove the factory dash amplifier and all of the wiring in between it, the radio and the cd player. The amplifier is secured with three small bolts and the wires should all simply unplug, DO NOT CUT OR DAMAGE ANY OF THIS WIRING as we will be using some of it to make our new harness for the 6-disc.

I almost forgot, there is one exception to all the wires just unplugging in this step. The dash amplifier and rear amplifiers are powered by a separate source than the rest of the radio system, so when you're unplugging everything from the dash amp there will be one yellow wire that runs by itself back towards the gauge cluster. This yellow wire goes into a T-splice at another yellow wire before going up into the dash so cut it off at the T and patch up the power wire. Do not cut or disconnect the remaining wire as this sends power to the rear amps. Done.

Unfortunately, I did not take pictures of this process but I can show you what you should end up with when you're done.
IMG00213.jpg

While you're removing the wires, take special note of the upper right side of the radio cavity. Here, you will notice two rectangular plugs clipped to the metal bracing of the dash, one will be black and the other will be gray.(Here is what they look like unplugged near their stock location)
DSCN1130.jpg

These are the plugs connected to their female counterparts (which should have come out with all of amplifier and radio wiring you removed)
DSCN1136.jpg

This is the gray plug which carries the five wires to the radio for basic radio functions.
DSCN1129.jpg

This is the black plug which carries the eight tweeter signal +/- wires.
DSCN1128.jpg

Here is the pinout for the function of each plug. The gray plug is C257 and the black plug is C258. (Ignore where it says C257 (black) and C258 (gray), Ford had a typo here and switched the colors around)
002.jpg

Now, let's start making the new harness. We do this by wiring the female counterparts of C257 and C258 to the new rectangular METRA pigtail that plugs into the back of the new radio.

**NOTE** The radio I am using is the older 01-03 style so if you're using the 04+ style some of these diagrams and pinout will not apply to you. However if you obtained the wiring diagram for your radio as I have suggested it should be somewhat easy for you to follow along and change your pinouts accordingly.

This is the plug we will be working with. It handles the tweeter signal and the basic functions of the radio. Everything but the subwoofer signals.
DSCN1151.jpg

This is the pinout diagram for the new plug C290a
004.jpg

Now before we start matching up wires to the new pigtail, find the female C257 and C258 and clean up the harness that they are connected to. We don't need any wires or connectors other than the female black and gray plugs and a length of straight through wires connected to each. Essentially what you want are two seperate black and gray pigtails with 8" or so of wire length. Again, I don't have any pictures of this step so if I'm not making sense let me know. Here is a picture of what is removed from the harness that C257 and C258 are a part of.
DSCN1152.jpg

Here is a list of which pin corresponds to which. Splice the corresponding wires on each pin to the corresponding wire on the pin of the other pigtail.

Plug C257 -----------------> C290a
Pin # 8 -----------------> # 9
Pin # 7 -----------------> # 2
Pin # 6 -----------------> # 10
Pin # 5 -----------------> # 1
Pin # 4 Not used
Pin # 3 -----------------> # 11 & 16 (both are grounded to one wire)
Pin # 2 Not used
Pin # 1 Not used

Plug C258 -----------------> C290a
Pin # 8 -------------------> # 14
Pin # 7 -------------------> # 15
Pin # 6 -------------------> # 13
Pin # 5 -------------------> # 12
Pin # 4 -------------------> # 7
Pin # 3 -------------------> # 8
Pin # 2 -------------------> # 5
Pin # 1 -------------------> # 6

C290a Pin #'s 3 and 4 are not used.

After you match up the wires on C257 and C258 to pigtail C290a you should end up with a harness that looks something like this.
IMG00214.jpg

Now that you've got that harness all made up this is what it should look like when you get it into the car.
DSCN1135.jpg

DSCN1138.jpg

At this point you can test the radio and make sure that everything appears to be working as it should. We haven't hooked up the subwoofer signal yet so there will be only tweeter sound, but make sure functions like illumination and dimming are working properly, and that all the tweeters are producing sound.

In the next post I'll be showing how to wire up the subwoofer audio.

Last edited:

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
Alright, let's get some signal going to the rear amps (which power your "subwoofer" speakers).

Remember taking the dash amp out? Yeah, that was pretty much all to do this. Think back to when you unplugged everything from the amp. The plug on the back of the amp furthest towards the drivers side of the car is the low audio signal out from the amp. It is a black plug with gray shielded wiring that runs from the back left of the radio cavity up into the dash, then to the drivers side kick panel, and then back to the rear amps. Here is a picture and the pinout of this connector C274.

(Cut off, but here's a picture for reference.)
DSCN1154.jpg

Pinout for C274
001.jpg

The goal now is to splice the wires of C274 on to their corresponding pins in the new low audio signal harness, C290b.

Say hi to C290b and it's pinout.
005.jpg

As you can see in the above scan I've already matched up the wires with their partners on the new pigtail. However, I was unable to match the shields with their partners so I opted not to wire them at all as they are not critical to the proper functioning of the subwoofers.

Here's the match-up:

Plug C274 -----------------------> C290b
Pin# 1 = shield (I did not wire this)
Pin #2 -----------------------> #5
Pin #3 = shield (I did not wire this)
Pin #4 -----------------------> #1
Pin #5 Not used
Pin #6 Not used
Pin #7 ------------------------> #8
Pin #8 ------------------------> #6
Pin #9 ------------------------> #4
Pin #10 ------------------------> # 2
Pin #11 Not used
Pin #12 Not used

This is C290b already spliced on to the C274 wires and pulled out into the drivers footwell for better visibility.
DSCN1132.jpg

C290b spliced onto factory wires and plugged into the radio in the drivers footwell.
DSCN1141.jpg

After you've got C290b wired up plug everything in and see if you've got all your speakers back!

Here's a picture of everything routed through the radio cavity and plugged in.
DSCN1144.jpg

Now that everything is working it's up to you to be creative on figuring out how to mount the 6-disc into the radio cavity and make it look right in the radio bezel.

I'll show you my temporary set-up which works great. It's not the finished product by any means but it serves the purpose of supporting the radio and aligning the face in the bezel.

Here you can see I had some aluminum 90 degree brackets laying around so I checked to see if they were about the right height to support the radio and keep it lined up in the bezel. I got lucky because everything seemed to actually fit really well and the radio was snug on all sides so I wrapped the brackets in electrical tape to prevent vibrations and noise, bolted them into the metal bracket that runs along the bottom of the cavity, and I use them to support the radio.

DSCN1134.jpg

DSCN1127.jpg

DSCN1145.jpg

DSCN1146.jpg

And here are some pictures of (pretty much) everything installed. I don't have any pictures of it actually working because I've got the battery out while working on some other electrical stuff on the car but I can guarantee it all works like a charm. I also haven't painted the bezel to match the interior yet, obviously.

Just a biiiit crooked in this pic because I didn't realize the radio was sitting on a wire.
DSCN1147.jpg

Level as can be!
DSCN1148.jpg

DSCN1149.jpg

Thanks for reading and I hope this helped anyone who needed it. My next little project will probably be wiring up the bezel buttons but I don't have a projected date for that.

Last edited:

Mark185

Established Member
I just got my 04 6disc in the mail today. This should be great help. Thanks

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
untill this detailed write up i never would have considered doing htis, now I am way more game if i get a chance to pick up the new radio.

GREAT WRITE UP!

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
Thanks guys. I've got a friend that works at a Ford dealership so I'll have him get me the radio pinout of the 04+ unit and I'll add that and a match-up key for it to this as well some time in the near future.

96svtdriver

Established Member
I can't wait to see the supplemental on the 04 6CD player. I am curious to see what kind of mounting setup you will use when you replace the temporary one.

Mark185

Established Member
Trying to get my 04 unit in today, I have everything working except for the subwoofer channels. The 8-pin connector looks the same so I wired it how you have it, but my rear amps aren't turning on :shrug:

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
Trying to get my 04 unit in today, I have everything working except for the subwoofer channels. The 8-pin connector looks the same so I wired it how you have it, but my rear amps aren't turning on :shrug:

I would really have to get the wiring diagram for the 04+ unit to see what the subwoofer pinouts look like before I can give you an answer, like I said I can't guarantee that all the wiring will be the same even for something as basic as the subwoofer pigtail. The pigtails may look similar but the pinouts from the radio could be different because it's a new plug style. Have you got a wiring diagram to work with?

Last edited:

Mark185

Established Member
I would really have to get the wiring diagram for the 04+ unit to see what the subwoofer pinouts look like before I can give you an answer, like I said I can't guarantee that all the wiring will be the same even for something as basic as the subwoofer pigtail. The pigtails may look similar but the pinouts from the radio could be different. Have you got a wiring diagram to work with?

I was able to decipher between metra's instructions and yours to get power/ground and tweeter signals (fairly easily), but i'm in the dark with that 8-pin connector because metra's instructions are worthless for that. And I haven't been able to find a diagram online yet.

Thanks for the writeup though it definitely made life easier.

Mark185

Established Member
OK I figured it out. The '04 8-pin connector pinout goes like this

top row Left to Right (looking at back of headunit)
pin 1 - subwoofer signal +
pin 2- subwoofer signal -
pin 3 - amplifier shield
pin 4- subwoofer enable

The bottom row of pins are not used.

So in order to make this work you have to take the wires from connector c274

twist together:
High and Low audio +......... connect to subwoofer signal +
High and Low audio -.......... connect to subwoofer signal -
High and Low mute..............connect to subwoofer enable

MY SECOND PROBLEM:
Instead of cutting that single yellow wire from the old dash amp, I noticed there was a black connector there so I had just disconnected that instead of cutting it. What I didn't realize is that the other side of the T-splice there gives the rear amps their POWER, and you can't disconnect that!

that gave me the biggest headache!

My system now works great and sounds FAR better than the 94-00 mach units. :beer:

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
I'm glad you got it working, Mark. Thanks for posting your 04+ info as well.

I had assumed that the yellow wire went to the rear amps but I didn't trace it, I suppose I should have posted that info. You definitely will NOT get power to the rears when you disconnect that snap plug on the yellow wire.

I feel dumb for not mentioning that...

lrall

Established Member
I started in on this again last night but am a little confused. Did you cut the factory harness apart to get these wires? I have come of the connectors but many of mine look different. I didnt see the wider black connector. Is it a 'must' to cut the wiring out? I'm a bit lost finding the connectors to splice into. There was a separate harness that ran from the cd player to radio deck, is that what im looking for or have i not dug deep enough? I cant find the speaker wires you speak of

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
Like I said if you look on the right side of the radio cavity there should be both a black and gray set of connections clipped to the steel bracing of the dash. You'll want the female connectors from that set. If you're still having trouble trace the wires from the gray connector that plugs into the back of the radio and they run right into the connectors on the right side of the cavity.

Nothing from the CD player is used at all.

lrall

Established Member
DSC00903.gif

that is the plug that i 'run into' when i trace back the wires, is my wiring different or do i have the wrong plug? This one is 8 pin, i find the grey connector but not the black one. Any ideas?

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
That's definitely the wrong plug. That should run right back to the amp.

Go back and read the write-up again, when you see the picture with the tangled mess of wires in my hand, start paying close attention. Or, you can take a picture of the right side of your radio cavity and I will circle the plugs you need.

Last edited:

Mark185

Established Member
The block off buttons for the 01-04 bezel were stupid expensive so I opted to put this emblem over the button holes.

f7eb69e68c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread