How to Speed Shift MT-82:

Shaun@AED

Figured I'd post a video of how to properly speed shift the MT-82.
This is NOT power shifting (I let off the throttle when shifting),but simply pulling/pushing on the shifter to quicken the gear changes.
This particular car is running the STOCK MT-82 with the STOCK Clutch and Tilton TSR-1 brake/clutch fluid and a factory clutch line with drilled out ends. Shift points are between 6700 and 6900.

[video=youtube;hXQIWL-CF6I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXQIWL-CF6I[/video]

Kyle55

Established Member
Do u take ur foot off gas pedal or just depress it and let of the throttle. Also how far away to you keep your left foot from the clutch. Do u keep it close by or leave some space and kick the clutch pedal.

Last edited:

Nuar

Established Member
Figured I'd post a video of how to properly speed shift the MT-82.
This is NOT power shifting (I let off the throttle when shifting),but simply pulling/pushing on the shifter to quicken the gear changes.
This particular car is running the STOCK MT-82 with the STOCK Clutch and Tilton TSR-1 brake/clutch fluid and a factory clutch line with drilled out ends. Shift points are between 6700 and 6900.

;)

Shaun@AED

I let off the throttle, but data logs show I'm still around 1/4 throttle, so I'm not 100% off the throttle.

My left foot normally hovers over the clutch pedal and I bang the pedal as fast as possible, hoping my right hand is fast enough to nail the gear change...which is why I'm always pushing or pulling on the shifter. (pull back when in 1st, push forward when in 2nd, etc)

evil281

Established Member
Is this the factory noodle shifter? I have been able to get similar results but I have the MGW Race Spec. I can't imagine shifting this fast with the factory piece of garbage.

Shaun@AED

I had no issues with the factory shifter.
The MGW needed some "love" from a bench vice and a mallet to get the handle in the position I needed in order to shift as fast as the stock piece. Having both shifters, I preferred the stock unit for drag racing/street driving.

Heuristic

Established Member
I thought pushing/pulling while it was in gear was hard on the synchros? I've done this before and stopped because I read that somewhere

Well ya, but racing/shifting fast is hard on the synchros and a lot of of other things in general. Nature of the business

Users who are viewing this thread