How To: smoother shifting

Mayhem

Established Member
It is a self adjusting clutch; Ford has been using them for about 30 years if not longer. Even my 1978 Ford Fiesta had one of these. The play in the linkage happens when the clutch disk and or pressure plate wears down. The only reason why they use these in the first place is so that you don't have to climb under the car to adjust the linkage. (Been there) My Fiesta Started slipping, talk about scary, push in the clutch to stop and the thing slammed back into gear. I didn't have the money back then to buy another one so I used the corner of a flat file to straighten the teeth out again; it worked fine after that until I sold the car. Once the teeth get rounded, it is all over.

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
This adjustment helped. My 04 COBRA is a 4K garage queen & I didn't think this was worth doing to mine. But I tried it out tonight. On step 2 where you pull up the clutch pedal arm I felt a little slack. It was not tons of movement but even a small adjustment like this can do a great wonder on the pedal feel. Thngs seem better.

Thanks SVT bro's... :beer:

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
Easy said:
Step 5
now release the clutch and it should feel a little wobbly or loose (atleast mine did) now start the car and magic! shift through the gears and notice how much smoother it feels. can move my MGW with 1 finger into every gear :banana:

comments :pop:

Why do you say it should feel a little wobbly or loose. Mine did not feel really loose... Just curious!

todd4566

Man Of Steel
Established Member
vipergts281 said:
Those two pieces touch each other as you can see in the second picture.
DSC04773.jpg

Only thing wrong with your pic is that your showing the quadrant upside down against the retaining tab piece. :-D

mustang john

Established Member
Anything is better than the stock junk, i thought i was just a crappy gear banger and after i installed my steeda kit i was able to power shift!

Easy

Live Fast Die Fun
Established Member
Kevin the Clean 1 said:
Why do you say it should feel a little wobbly or loose. Mine did not feel really loose... Just curious!

should of said "may" my mistake. editing now.

huben94

Established Member
Don't miss the fact that you have to in first (gear)when you pull up on the clutch pedal!

Last edited:

BelvedereGTX

Banned
You guys have to be kidding me that you did not know about the clutch adjuster. Oh my. I guess i just assumed everyone knew about those scheap POS's they put standard on all mustangs. Anyway ditch that crap and put in a steeda quadrant and firewall adjuster

Glfbaluhwakrguy

03 SB Cobra
Established Member
vipergts281 said:
Here is the stock quadrant. Those two pieces touch each other as you can see in the second picture. Over time the bigger piece moves along the other piece....does that make any sense? When you pull up on the clucth pedal you are essentially moving the bigger piece back to where it used to be, which is best for the clutch and shifting.

DSC04773.jpg

DSC04776.jpg

Damn, still a shi*ty explanation, lol. Hopefully you know what I am talking about though.

Man that's awesome, thanks for the explaination and the pics. Sorry I didn't respond until now, but yea i really do appreciate that helps a lot!

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i just got my UPR triple hook quantrant, still need to order the firewall adjuster. is the quandrant a PITA to install? did you guys have to remove your driver's seat to do this? my buddy is a backyard mechanic and said we should probably do this but i hate pulling seats out since there is always the risk of scratching sh*t up. :bash:

Red Shift

2.6 + 4.6=GAWDAMN!!
Established Member
svt4stv said:
i just got my UPR triple hook quantrant, still need to order the firewall adjuster. is the quandrant a PITA to install? did you guys have to remove your driver's seat to do this? my buddy is a backyard mechanic and said we should probably do this but i hate pulling seats out since there is always the risk of scratching sh*t up. :bash:

Good idea

Dior55

Established Member
vipergts281 said:
Here is the stock quadrant. Those two pieces touch each other as you can see in the second picture. Over time the bigger piece moves along the other piece....does that make any sense? When you pull up on the clucth pedal you are essentially moving the bigger piece back to where it used to be, which is best for the clutch and shifting.

DSC04773.jpg

DSC04776.jpg

Damn, still a shi*ty explanation, lol. Hopefully you know what I am talking about though.

Nice try, but you're not entirely accurate. The bigger piece does NOT "move along" the other piece over time. Over time, the clutch cable stretches. The big "wheel" is where the cable attaches to, and it's spring loaded to take up all the slack in the cable, BUT the little "cog" holds the big wheel from being moved by the spring (so that the whole assembly will work when you press on the pedal).

When you pull backwards on the clutch pedal, that little cog moves away from the teeth, the spring on the big wheel is allowed to "do its job" and it winds the big wheel so that it takes up the slack on the cable. When you release the pedal, the cog goes back into place and meshes with the big wheel -- but now it's on new teeth because the wheel has rolled to take up the slack. It does not "roll back to where it used to be" as you suggest -- quite the opposite occurs.

It's actually an ingenious invention by Ford, and has been on Fox body cars since the 80s. The only problems Ford has is that it should have been made out of a better material than plastic.

Users who are viewing this thread