How-To Seat Wear Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

00SVTStrike

Established Member
As the years go by, more and more L owners will probably find this issue. There is a bar inside the seat that will over time, begin to wear through the foam padding, and eventually wear your seat material. Mine had started. Here is what it looks like, and what I did about it. Step One Remove the plastic seat trim on the side of the seat, where the seat adjust buttons are. You must remove the Lumbar adjustment knob, it is on very tight and will have to be pulled straight off..pull hard and steady, it will come off. At this point this is what you will have:
parts014.gif

00SVTStrike

Established Member
Step Two Remove the seat cover by slipping off the clips holding it to the seat frame. You only need to remove the clip at the front and side to get the job done. You can then carefull pull the seat cover back off the foam. Be careful to work it off slowly. Now you will be able to see where the foam padding has be split from the bar inside the seat.
parts016.gif

00SVTStrike

Established Member
Step Four Here is where you will have to make your own choice. Some people remove this bar all together, others will cover the bar in a padding of some kind, such as pipe insulation, or in my case, wadding like you would use to stuff a pillow. I chose to cover the bar rather than remove it. Simply wrap the bar, and secure the padding material. Keep in mind, too much material can cause you trouble here. You dont want there to be a buldge in the seat when you are done. Just cover the bar enough to make it less likely to break through again.
parts019.gif
And..Step 5 Use an upholstery glue to glue the foam padding back together, let it dry thoroughly, and replace the cover in reverse of removal. Be sure to work the cover back into place carefully and get the seat to form how you like before securing the cover to the frame. Replace the trim and knob, and you should have a seat that will last longer. I just did this myself, so I cant say how long it lasts. If it happens again I might remove the bar. Hope this helps guys.
parts015.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread