How to repair jacking damage to pinch welds?

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
The pinch welds under the driver's door have been bent over from a poorly placed floor jack (yes, I'm guilty). This has been bugging me for a long time and I'm thinking about taking it to a body shop to have them repaired. Has anyone done this? Is this a good idea? Any comments would help me decide what to do.

Fang

Established Member
Better yet, how about some ideas on how to prevent that from happening. Just lowered the car and this seems to be the only way to jack it up.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
straighten them out with a BFH then maybe add an additional jacking rail similar to that on the HANS (only thing I really like about them)

HANS-FORCE-scf.jpg

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
The first time I changed the oil on my Cobra I had it up on a lift and noticed that some ass clown had done this to my car. It was new so I don't know if it happened at the dealer or if it had happened after I got the car. Probably some flesh rocket trying to steal my rims. Either way it pisses me off pretty good. Definately going to fix it one day. Also does anyone else notice that the doors on these cars don't quite line up right.

PhillyCobra

Established Member

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
Now that I have FLsub frame connectors, jacking is easy. But I need to fix the smooshed pinch welded parts and fix the dented in piece that's under the door. This looks like plastic so it might straighten out when the pinch welds are bent back. I'm just curious if anyone has done this and how successful it was.

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
KB sells jacking rails that is welded onto the pinch seam, perfect alternative for jacking. They are pretty heavy duty, have a pair in my basement.

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
I've got the KB Extreme Matrix SF's with the Jacking Rail and I can't be more pleased. I can lift 3 wheels of the car off the ground by jacking it up in one spot.

2kbill

Established Member
Back on topic, the question was " How to repair jacking damage to pinch welds?"

Does anybody have any tips?

Thanks.

RickSvt

Its Fast
Established Member
Yeah, you know those Vise Grips that have the flat ends that are wide? Get a set of those and try to work it all back together, but no matter what, its going to be weaker than before

rick

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
RickSvt said:
Yeah, you know those Vise Grips that have the flat ends that are wide? Get a set of those and try to work it all back together, but no matter what, its going to be weaker than before

rick
I thought about that but I think it would look like crap after bending it back. And you're probably right, it would be weaker. It really needs to be repaired professionally, I think.

RickSvt

Its Fast
Established Member
You can repair it by getting subframes.....

Either that or have them weld in some square tubing after you bend it back, they can weld in some 6" 1x1 tubing along side of it.....

rick

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
RickSvt said:
You can repair it by getting subframes.....

Either that or have them weld in some square tubing after you bend it back, they can weld in some 6" 1x1 tubing along side of it.....

rick
That's a good idea, except, I already have subframes. However, I could weld some 1"x1" tubing along the straightened seam. That might look OK after painting.

Easy

Live Fast Die Fun
Established Member
use a hockey puck ontop of the jack, or if your picky cut into it.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Add on to your partial subframes... with something similar to to extreme matrix jacking rail component...

Then while preparing to weld them up ... just tack them ... and then pound them flat against the jacking rail...

I used Global West competition ready full length... stout.. to say the least...

superstoutSFCs.jpg

Jimmy :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread