how to remove smog pump

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
hey guys- never removed a smog pump and wanted to hear from the guys who had done it- any tips? also can anyone possibly give me a synopsis of the process please- don't want to miss anything, and can't seem to find a writeup for our cars. thanks

crazycarlo

Established Member
What kind of car do u have. 94-95 or a 96-98? I just took mine off my 98. I removed it from the fender. Took the hard metal like off my manifolds. Had the tuner turn the EGR system off in my tune and made a block off gasket for the EGR itself. Car runs fine. I havnt permanently cut any vacume line yet cause I want to be sure to get advice to where its going and all that good stuff.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
this is always asked but never a real good answer or write up with pictures, I too have been trying to figure it all out as well, i have the block off plate and the egr turned off waiting to do this mod

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
can you do it without deleting the EGR components?- I think they look kinda wierd blocked off- and they don't weigh near as much as the smog pump.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
You can remove the hard lines from the headers and cap the headers. Then just cap the vaccuum lines.

When I removed my smog pump I also removed the EGR at the same time. This allowed me to completely remove all of the vaccuum lines and cap them off at the back of the intake where it T's into the area with the little red vaccuum line and the lines that connect with the fuel-pressure regulator and the connection with the back of the intake.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
You can remove the hard lines from the headers and cap the headers. Then just cap the vaccuum lines.

When I removed my smog pump I also removed the EGR at the same time. This allowed me to completely remove all of the vaccuum lines and cap them off at the back of the intake where it T's into the area with the little red vaccuum line and the lines that connect with the fuel-pressure regulator and the connection with the back of the intake.

Waitttt a minute..

Do you have that capped off on the intake manifold? Or does it still connect to the intake manifold?

Right now...mine is connected to the back of the intake manifold, but I think something isn't hooked up right...but I'm not really sure...

switching intake manifolds while deleting smog/egr really made it confusing for me

if you have a picture, I'd appreciate it x923874

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Its still connected to the intake. I was just commenting that is the line that it T's in with.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures. I didn't take any when I removed it and now the motor is out of the car and in pieces all over the country.

xTomKx

Established Member
Does removing the smog pump throw a check engine light? Or is it only when the EGR is removed? On my other car I have the egr capped off but the egr valve is still there so it wouldn't throw codes.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
You will throw a code when you eliminate the SAI system. You can turn it off in your tune if you have one.

But all it does is add some air to the exhaust manifolds during initial open loop warmup, providing extra oxygen to get the cats up to operational temperature faster. The only real downside to keeping them is a little bit of weight. They do help to eliminate some start up air pollution.

xTomKx

Established Member
I read somewhere that the smog pump or egr helps with gas mileage. Eliminating it will drop the gas mileage 2-4mpg. Is that true?

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
It is true about EGR. It actually helps to cool combustion temps a bit when the PCM detects it is needed, with the added benefit of reducing NOx emissions. The PCM never turns on EGR at WOT, so there is no WOT benefit to delete it, other than a little reduced weight and a cleaner looking engine compartment.

SAI just heats up the cats faster at startup to reduce pollution.

xTomKx

Established Member
Does anybody know what size plug I need to use to cap off the SAI holes on the headers? I just realized that it's a completely separate system from the EGR . I definitely don't need it because I don't have cats.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread