How to remove rear caliper on cobra

ID3Racing

SVT FTW!
Established Member
How do i remove the rear caliper on my o1 cobra. i got the pads all replaced up front, now im just dumbfounded on the rears and ive already came close to stripping a bolt to the way i think it should coe off..., please help before i go insain. thnks

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
there are 2 bolts on the back side; take them out. There are two larger bolts on the bracket, you can leave them in if you don't need to take off the rotor also. Find the wire for the parking brake and slip it off. Do not take off the parking brake spring (bing pita). Also do not have the parking brake on. The caliper can come off now but may be tight. Take a large screw driver for leverage and gently pry the caliper off.

ID3Racing

SVT FTW!
Established Member
anyone?
please i need help like right now. im mid way through the project that i started around 9 this morning

ID3Racing

SVT FTW!
Established Member
kxt said:
there are 2 bolts on the back side; take them out. There are two larger bolts on the bracket, you can leave them in if you don't need to take off the rotor also. Find the wire for the parking brake and slip it off. Do not take off the parking brake spring (bing pita). Also do not have the parking brake on. The caliper can come off now but may be tight. Take a large screw driver for leverage and gently pry the caliper off.
are you refuring to the 2 bolts on the top with the boot like thing they srew into?

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
Boot? are you refering to the rubber axle boot? Just look on the back of the caliper there will be two small maybe 10mm bolts.

EDIT: look at the next post. Yea the boot is the slider for the floating caliper and its bolt.

Last edited:

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
M-2320-Cstd.jpg

look at the spring in the lower section of the above pic. Just to the left you can see the very top of one bolt

calip07.jpg

This is gt/v6 brakes but you can see the ratchet.

Last edited:

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
Also you'll need to twist the piston back, you can't just push it in like a normal piston. There is a speciallity tool but I just use channellocks.

edswhite99

Established Member
I took a look and decided to take mine to a shop. But then I'm not the most mechanically inclined and I don't have a ton of tools either. Trying to get to the bolt on the left side (looking at the caliper from front) was a pita. I quit before I really even started.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
He might also be refering to the c-clip that holds the e-brake cable into the housing that's made into the back of the caliper. I got hung up on that myself.

For those that don't know, there is a c-clip on the sheath near where the cable runs into the housing on the back of the calipre. Take that c-clip off w/ a pair of bottle nose pliers and then you can grab the end of the e-brake cabble w/ some vice grips or channle lock pliers and pull it up and out of the spring actuator. Like KXT said, don't take that spring off, it's not necessary and it's a total pita to get back in place!

One last thing to consider, once you've turned the caliper piston back in and put the pads in it can be a little tricky to get the clipre back on the rotor becuase the pads have these little springs on the back of them to force them into place. You can bend those springs a little bit and once you get one bolt in place and started the other one should be a little easier.

Good luck!

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
edswhite99 said:
I took a look and decided to take mine to a shop. But then I'm not the most mechanically inclined and I don't have a ton of tools either. Trying to get to the bolt on the left side (looking at the caliper from front) was a pita. I quit before I really even started.

Dude - Brakes are a breeze. Seriously, I was reluctant to do mine for YEARS even though I have zero problem doing any other maintained on my car. I even helped my former brother in law swap out my AODE for a T-5 in my old 95GT - So, it's not like I'm mechanically retarded. I would just think "hey, these have to work for me to stop. If I screw these up - I'm in trouble." Now that I realize they're no big deal to do - pthththth. I feel stupid for putting off learning how to do them for so long.

Find a buddy who knows how to do em. Order a pizza and have him sit with you while you do the work. It's really not that bad.

Well, I'll say this - the backs are a pain in the butt with that piston having to be turned (and just buy the tool needed to rotate the piston - it's only like $11)

Last edited:

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Bizarro said:
. I would just think "hey, these have to work for me to stop. If I screw these up - I'm in trouble."

That was what held me up for a long time becuase as my g/f put it, "Stop is actually more important than go! You'll learn this at the first traffic light!"

But after I did it I'd agree it wasn't really that bad. I'd say give it full day if you're doing all four and it's your first time.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
REX-RACER said:
That was what held me up for a long time becuase as my g/f put it, "Stop is actually more important than go! You'll learn this at the first traffic light!"

But after I did it I'd agree it wasn't really that bad. I'd say give it full day if you're doing all four and it's your first time.

And that's with the right tools. If you go ahead and get that cube tool for the rear pistons, that will save you some time...I hated those pistons once I was done...

Oh, and you g/f's comment reminded me...
A buddy of mine's dad had drag raced in the NHRA, IHRA, has held land speed records, is in the HotRod Hall of fame book (Let's just say, the man has gone fast). My buddy was telling me one time at a drag event, the brakes weren't working the way they should and they were talking about what to do. Well, his dad made the comment "well, we aren't going to win the race by stopping". Needless to say even with the parachute he ended up deep in the field at the end of the track when he finally stopped... :lol:

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
Brakes are almost as easy as putting gas in the car .... You should never have to pay anyone to put new shoes on ...

Give it a whirl .... you will be pleasantly surprised .... and you save a shitload of cash ..

1999WhiteSVT

STLMustangs.com
Established Member
i havnt done the cobra brakes yet, but i did new rotos and pads on my old crown vic in about 2.5 hours. of course pneumatic ratchets help a bit lol

edswhite99

Established Member
SnkBtn99 said:
Brakes are almost as easy as putting gas in the car .... You should never have to pay anyone to put new shoes on ...

Give it a whirl .... you will be pleasantly surprised .... and you save a shitload of cash ..

Come on now. They might be easy for you, but no way is it as easy as pumping gas. I can do that with 1 hand. Don't be facetious.

Users who are viewing this thread