How to remove/install Halfshafts

josh2016

Established Member
I looked around for a how to thread on how to remove and install halfshafts but didnt find anything very good so i decided to make one myself.

Tools needed:
-Impact gun or large 1/2in breaker bar
-36mm deep socket
-hammer (might not need it but i did)
-3/8in socket wrench
-3/8in 18mm socket
-18mm box wrench or cresent wrench
-1/4in socket wrench
-1/4in 8mm deep socket
-1/4in extension (dont need it but it always makes things easier)
-pry bar
-pliers
-floor jack
-jack stands (I used 4 to lift the whole car)
22-1.jpg

2.jpg

step 1: once you have the wheel off use the 36mm deep socket to remove the axel nut

6.jpg

7.jpg

step 2: use your floor jack to lift up the wheel hub about 3-4 inches

3.jpg

step 3: locate the crown nut to the left of the rotor, pull the cotter pin out with the pliers, then use the 18mm socket to remove the bolt.

8.jpg

step 4: separate the rod (not sure what its actually called) from the wheel hub and push it aside. i had problems doing this, so i threaded the crown nut upside down until it was almost flush with the top of the threads to keep from messing up the threads, then i beat it out with a hammer. then took off the nut so i could pull it the rest of the way out

10.jpg

step 5: lower the jack and put it aside until you are ready to put that rod back in

step 6: remove the bolt holding the E-brake cable to the IRS using a 8mm socket. then put the bolt back in so u dont lose it

5.jpg

step 7: locate the nut and bolt on top that is holding the wheel hub and remove it using a 18mm socket on one side and 18mm wrench on the other side, once you get the nut off wiggle the bolt out. once you do this the hub will fall towards you about 2 inches.

11.jpg

step 8: locate the same nut and bolt at the bottom of the hub and remove them with the same tools. now the hub will drop down. move it to the side and set it down on the ground. your brake lines should be long enough to reach the ground depending on how high you jacked the car up. you do NOT have to remove the brake calipers.

13.jpg

15.jpg

note: half of my halfshaft came out with the hub because of how it broke as you can see in the picture above. if your halfshaft isnt broken and you are just upgrading, pull the hub towards you and the halfshaft should slide out of the hub. if it doesnt you can rent a wheel puller from Autozone the part number is 27037. it looks like this

pullerhub.jpg

step 9: locate the blot holding the bottom of the shock in. using a 18mm socket, loosen the bolt about an inch. the nut should still be on the back of the bolt

step 10: wiggle the shock over until its flush with the head of the bolt. this is to make enough room for the halfshaft to slide through.

18.jpg

17.jpg

19.jpg

step 11: get under the car, and pry the halfshaft out of the differential with the pry bar. it will kinda just pop out a little and you will be able to slide it the rest of the way out with your hands. (no you wont lose any differential fluid once the halfshaft comes out)

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

step 12: your halfshaft might just slide through the gap you made when you moved the shock over. if not you can loosen the bolt for the shock over a little more to make more room then wiggle it the rest of the way out

27.jpg

step 13: once your halfshaft is out, repeat steps 1-12 in reverse order to install your new halfshafts.

note: I had some difficulty getting the new halfshaft to slide into the hub, but it just took some playing around with and it slid in like butter. im not sure if there is a specific torque setting for the axle nut once you put it back on. i just used my impact gun on it until it stopped. I've driven around on it for a couple days now and it is a smooth ride and the halfshaft is still in good condition.

here are some better pictures of my broken halfshaft.

1.jpg

16.jpg

good luck. I hope this helps.:beer:

Terminator-Fox

Soon...
Established Member
Good write-up, you can also rent a tie-rod end puller tool from Autozone to pop out the tie-rod from the spindle rather than hitting it with a hammer.

josh2016

Established Member
lol i requested the how to then needed it the next day and didnt bother to check if someone posted one. so i said f**k it and did it. and i took pictures throughout the process so i could do the write up myself. at least there are more than one now

Parts-is-Parts

Established Member
Update Step 7:

You should take a paint pen and mark where the cam on the nut is positioned so when you re-install it, you dont screw up the alignment.

Back-N-Black

Established Member
Step 13 should be updated to say Torque the axle nut to 240 - 250 ft lbs.

Thanks for showing the wheel puller from Autozone and the part number. I was there today and they didn't seem to know about it. I'll check again tomorrow now that I know the part number.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Keep the updates coming as I want a good write-up on this...
Great work!
Doug has a vid?

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
Thanks for this write-up. I just finished replacing my passenger half-shaft (wheel bearing seal was trashed, and the axle nut was only on with around 90 lb-ft! :??:). Write-up & pics definitely helps, now I have a beautiful new axle. :banana: I Sharkhided everything, so it should stay looking brand new. Now my driver's half-shaft looks like shit, and I want to replace it! Why can't Ford paint some of this metal. Surface rust is not a good look! But thanks again!

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
Step 13 should be updated to say Torque the axle nut to 240 - 250 ft lbs.

Thanks for showing the wheel puller from Autozone and the part number. I was there today and they didn't seem to know about it. I'll check again tomorrow now that I know the part number.

yea i just replaced mine, with out that part number wouldnt have happened

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
If you marked camber bolt should be ok, but since you did mess with it, I would. It's your tires

98 bab Cobra

Jduane

Established Member
Any certain way the halfshaft splines need to line up when goin back together?? Im getting ready to replace my passenger side one due to torn boot an knuckle got run hot. Whats the purpose of the big sprocket/gear on end of halfshaft close to splines???

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
Any certain way the halfshaft splines need to line up when goin back together?? Im getting ready to replace my passenger side one due to torn boot an knuckle got run hot. Whats the purpose of the big sprocket/gear on end of halfshaft close to splines???

No just as long as it goes all the way back in, the large sprocket is part of the abs system for detecting the wheel speed, you would find the same thing on the front wheel hubs

Users who are viewing this thread