How to reach 500 HP N/A on the 5.0's

Turd Fergusen

Established Member
Just picked up a 14 GT auto and 450-500whp N/A is about where I'd like to be for the upcoming season. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for updates and ideas

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Doesn't all these mods eventually may result in increasing the chances of the #8 piston failure unless the engine is beefed up with forged internals?

I haven't seen a piston 8 fail for a long time. I wouldnt worry about it with the current tuning knowledge with NA mods.

Last edited:

Black5slow

Established Member
IMG_22466680911830.jpeg
A/R 1 7/8 longtubes catless x, MagnaFlow comp exhaust, cj with monoblade, Rev Auto Intake, comp stage 3, ported heads, 1 pc driveshaft, Rev Auto Tune.
491 is before ported heads
511 ported heads pump gas
522 ported heads e85

AKDMB

Established Member
For the people that are shooting for 500rwhp NA (still on stock internals) with CJ intake and cams, what rpm are you turning? 7500 RPM < ? Also anything else needed to upgrade to stage 3 comp cams? Boss 302 Valve springs? I think CJ + Monoblade + Comp Stage 3's + LT's + Pump Gas = Just barely under 500rwhp, that seems to be the proven formula.

Last edited:

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Boss valve springs or some sort of spring upgrade, good oil like Amsoil 10W-30/40, and probably oil cooling if you don't have an OEM cooler. Oil pump gears wouldn't be a bad idea either. I'd recommend E85 if it's available to help keep things cool.

With a Boss or CJ intake, you should be shifting just before 8K. I try to shift between the 7750 and 8000 lines on my tach.

With a stock short block:
--Catless LT headers
--Ported Boss IM+Accufab or ported CJ+SCJ intake and throttle body
--Comp S3s and valve springs
--Ported heads
--A good tune

That should get you at or very near 500whp on a Dynojet through an MT82.

If you build the short block, add:
--Bore to 3.700 to increase displacement to 5.2
--Increase compression to 12.5:1 if you're planning to run E85 or race gas

That should get you 550+whp through an MT82.

Good luck! I'll be subbed to see the results.

Last edited:

AKDMB

Established Member
I'm not currently doing an NA build, someday maybe, no time soon though. I was just trying to get a better idea of the rpm's everyone was safely turning.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Light weight flywheel, clutch, balancer, electric water pump, carbon fiber drive shaft, rem polished and lightened ring and pinion, girodisc rear rotors, lighter rear wheels, really can go as far as rem polishing transmission gears (reducing friction frees up quite a bit of power) lighter axles (pretty much any aftermarket ones remaining 31 spline will be lighter)

All little things like that add up to make hp. I think on a very efficient car, 500whp can be done on stock heads and cams. typical mods being cobra jet manifold big throttle body, longtubes, off road mid pipe etc

darreng505

Established Member
For the people that are shooting for 500rwhp NA (still on stock internals) with CJ intake and cams, what rpm are you turning? 7500 RPM < ? Also anything else needed to upgrade to stage 3 comp cams? Boss 302 Valve springs? I think CJ + Monoblade + Comp Stage 3's + LT's + Pump Gas = Just barely under 500rwhp, that seems to be the proven formula.

I have that setup. 505rwhp. Tuning for E85 tomorrow. I upgraded springs and oil gears. TuNed to 7950.

Black5slow

Established Member
I bought them off a guy from Rev Auto they were already ported by a machine shop in md. Not sure what stage the port is.

darreng505

Established Member
So Darren, you don't have ported heads? Who's the tuner? Did you ever run the car?

No I haven't ported the heads yet. Car runs fine and performs exceptional at the track. In fact last time i was there I was coming around this high speed turn (80mph) with the hammer down. Crested over 6500 rpms and felt the car pull harder suddenly. Pushed me back in my seat a little. Surprised me.

Adam @ rev auto tunes it.

Rios302

Established Member
I will be happy with my car making what a stock c6 z05 puts at the wheels so around 455 at the wheels. I am not sure how for how long I will be happy making those numbers though, the goal is having an 11 second car NA

Users who are viewing this thread