HOW-TO: Re-Finished my Chin Spoiler and Hood

imflyinbiya

Established Member
I tried to do this over the weekend, and noticed that when sanding the spoiler it basically turned into rubber mush. It is not hairy / textured as the rubber is coming off. Did anybody else encounter this?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Weird, what grit and how hard were you sanding? It's not like sanding metal. Might be that yours is just deteriorated. Mine is still holding up great btw.

imflyinbiya

Established Member
I used 120, then 300 then 2000 wet. The thing is all hairy and melted looking. Really annoyed, but I just installed a Mach1 style so I have the OEM one sitting in the garage for a rainy day when I feel like giving it another go. I don't understand why mine would be different. Its like sanding rubber.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
What was the exact paint you used?

gaugepaint.jpg

Knelly

Established Member
What kind of ducts are those in your hood? Did you make those or buy? @03cobra#694

Cobra84

Established Member
After deciding buying an OEM chin spoiler was too much of an expense i decided to follow this how-to on refinishing the chin spoiler. The hardest part of the project is definitely taking the rivets out that are used around the sides of the chin spoiler. I will include a photo; they are a type of aluminum it would seem. Drilled up through their center and then used pliers to bend the tongues inward to assist with the removal. I replaced the rivets with stainless screws, nuts, washers. All in all it was a fun project that left the chin spoiler looking better then it started but not "new" condition (which wasn't to be expected) After many years of driving the car it has seen some wear and tear on that part. I started out with putting car on lift (not required) and taking out the screws Ford had placed to hold up the middle and the rivets (8 total) around the sides. Removed spoiler and placed on work bench. Started sanding with 180 grit paper over entire surface and moved up to 320 to finish off. Then prepped surface and used paint thinner solvent and let dry. I then used a black plastic spray paint with 2 light coats and then a final heavier coat to end the project. Let dry over night. Came back next day and decided that was as good as it was going to get and re-installed back onto the bumper. Thanks again to 03cobra#694 for the how-to.image_1.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage_1.jpegimage_2.jpeg

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Looks good, and for sure saved you some coin. It would drive me insane buying a new one just to accidentally bump into a curb stop and tear it up.

Cobra84

Established Member
Just realized a pic or two were upside down!! That's what I get for not posting pics for the longest time on this site!! I will try to get some pics with the car out in the light to get a better view of the chin spoiler. Now onto the next project-to polish the stainless Bassani catback!!

Users who are viewing this thread