HOW-TO: Re-Finished my Chin Spoiler and Hood

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Ok,after years of looking at my nasty chewed up chin spoiler I decided to redo it.Note to self,back the car in from now on to avoid hitting the curb stop :bash:. First I took it off the car,5 screws and 6 rivots (why they could not use screws here :shrug:).Next was some sanding,started out with some 150 grit,then some 320 pretty much got it as close as it needed to be.Got my spray gun out and filled it up with some SEM flexible paint,shot 4 real light coats,and one heavier final coat.Let it dry for a bit,then screwed it back on using the 5 factory screws and 6 new stainless screws and nuts.
Next little project shown is the repainting of my hood.This wasn`t a planned project,it was done out of neccessity.Some dummy (me) was trying to fill some paint chips that have been bugging me.Normally I hit the chip with some touch up,let it dry and wet sand them to smooth them out.Well,I sanded right throught the clear and color coat:bash::bash:.I don`t have any pictures of the damage,but do have pics of the end result.I sanded the hood down,then hit it with some basecoat (side note here,5 color variations for Mineral Grey,and none matched my car.So we scanned it and mixed the paint from the scan code) and then 3 coats of clear.Next was to wet sand the crap out of it with some 2000 wet/dry paper,then buff with some 3M ultra polish.I give the hood a 85% rating due some variations that i`m the only one who has noticed w/o pointing the flaw out.On to the pics.
Chewed up spoiler
001-3.jpg

002-3.jpg

Sanded and ready to be wiped down and painted.
005-3.jpg

Painted and drying
003-1.jpg

Back on the car.I know my grill emblem is missing in a few of the pics.The bracket had a bit of rust so I sanded and hit it w/a rattle can.
004-2.jpg

005-2.jpg

Back on the ground and happy.
008-2.jpg

009-2.jpg

Hood pics
001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

mooch91

Established Member
Nicely done. I sanded and painted my chin spoiler but the paint started cracking on re-installation. Either too much paint or a cheap brand did me in.

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
looks good bud, I had my hood redone when I got my car. THe previous owner had a clear bra installed and it killed my paint.

stangaholic280

Established Member
Man that looks great!! I know mine is all scraped to hell...was considering buying a new one but might have to give this a try first! :rockon:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Perfect, no peeling, cracking, etc. It also helps to back into parking spots with curb stops to avoid hitting them with the spoiler.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Looks nice! These chin spoilers are such a pain.

The babe in your avatar should have been in the pics helping out!!

black 10th vert

Established Member
Perfect, no peeling, cracking, etc. It also helps to back into parking spots with curb stops to avoid hitting them with the spoiler.

Brad, everything looks fantastic! Backing in, isn't always the solution, though... next, you will be needing to restore that black section of the back bumper, or worse, yet, munch an exhaust tip!:eek: Guess that could be a great excuse to install one of those keyhole backup cameras, though.;-)

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
Looks good! When I painted my 03 hood, there were also 5 variations of MG with none of them being a 100% match.

Mineral Gray in a spray can? I wonder if I can get enough to do my entire car....

Nice work!!

I bought some MG in a spray can and re did both of my mirrors. They had a couple chips in them and I wasn't happy with them. I sanded, primed, painted, and cleared them and they look as good as factory.

Users who are viewing this thread