How to quiet your '03/'04 Cobra shifter (other Mustangs, too)

bleedingfordblu

Established Member
just ordered a set for my newely installed and rebuild t56 with pads and bronze shifter pocket. I noticed the trans is much louder than my old 3650 and hoping it helps.

Im assuming theres nothing for the shifter handle for a MGW?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You're correct. The MGW has a one-piece handle. You'll only use the base gasket.

Terminator Dave

Established Member
You're correct. The MGW has a one-piece handle. You'll only use the base gasket.
CobraBob Your gasket set is to lessen the trannie noise in general. OK. My problem is the handle rattles. No particular noise, just a rattle. I have a Pro50 tower, whatever it's called. The shifter works great, but I don't like their short shift handle. I bolted the original Cobra handle back on with some special bushings meant to replace the sloppy factory rubber bushings. It seems like the knob itself rattles(it's aftermarket Hurst) so I tried some silicone on the threads to no avail.Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my 2PS64 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
CobraBob Your gasket set is to lessen the trannie noise in general. OK. My problem is the handle rattles. No particular noise, just a rattle. I have a Pro50 tower, whatever it's called. The shifter works great, but I don't like their short shift handle. I bolted the original Cobra handle back on with some special bushings meant to replace the sloppy factory rubber bushings. It seems like the knob itself rattles(it's aftermarket Hurst) so I tried some silicone on the threads to no avail.Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you need a new shift knob.

Terminator Dave

Established Member
Sounds like you need a new shift knob.
It's relatively new. It may have 5-10k on it. The Factory shifter has a rubber bushing, looks like a rectangle with two holes, but like I said, it makes the shifts sort of vague. The think the steel bushings I have are from Steeda. The Factory knob, if I remember right, is kind of stiff going on, where as the Hurst ball is loose, and relies on the lockout under it to keep it tight. Well, I appreciate any and all help if you have any other suggestions. Thanks.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
It's relatively new. It may have 5-10k on it. The Factory shifter has a rubber bushing, looks like a rectangle with two holes, but like I said, it makes the shifts sort of vague. The think the steel bushings I have are from Steeda. The Factory knob, if I remember right, is kind of stiff going on, where as the Hurst ball is loose, and relies on the lockout under it to keep it tight. Well, I appreciate any and all help if you have any other suggestions. Thanks.

good. What you have and go with MGW when you can. All problems solved.

I will eventually have one of Bob's gaskets.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Terminator Dave

Established Member
good. What you have and go with MGW when you can. All problems solved.

I will eventually have one of Bob's gaskets.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Are you saying I should just change to an MGW? I like what I have, except for the rattle, and I'd swear that it's coming from the knob. I'll have to try the original Cobra knob, which is much tighter. Thanks for your input though.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It definitely make a lot of sense to try another knob to see it the issue is with the current knob.

Dave, I recommend you try one of my gasket kits. My handle gasket (replaces the thick rubber piece you're referring to) is thinner, so the feel will be more solid vs. the vagueness with the thicker rubber piece. And the base gasket will suppress most of the noise and vibration from the transmission.

Terminator Dave

Established Member
It definitely make a lot of sense to try another knob to see it the issue is with the current knob.

Dave, I recommend you try one of my gasket kits. My handle gasket (replaces the thick rubber piece you're referring to) is thinner, so the feel will be more solid vs. the vagueness with the thicker rubber piece. And the base gasket will suppress most of the noise and vibration from the transmission.
OK. Let me Finish the clutch, and see what happens. I don't mind the gear noise, after driving sticks all my life, but that rattle is irritating. Thanks for the help, and I'll get back to you.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
thumbs-up-sign_1f44d.png

Yugo

Established Member
Shifter Gasket Sets For 2003-2004 Cobra T-56 Shifters And Other Mustang Models.) - All sets are 1/16" (double thickness) material

Are you tired of increased gear noise after installing your favorite aftermarket billet shifter? I have a very simple and inexpensive solution. One of my shifter gasket sets. These gasket sets fit all aftermarket shifters and the stock shifter. They are made from high-temp silicone material chosen for this application. The handle gasket is thin enough to maintain the solid feel of your shifter while helping to insulate transmission noise.

These sets very easy to install! Installation instructions are included. I even have an installation video available on my website showing the installation on a 2001 Mustang Cobra.

T-56GasketSet-Scaled.jpg

Shipping by USPS Parcel First Class Mail is FREE to U.S. addresses. Average delivery time is 2-4 business days. Canada orders ship by International First Class Mail. Note that sets are also available for all 1982-2004 Mustangs (and '11-'14 MT-82), as well as for the 1982-1992 Camaro/Firebird T-5, 1992-2003 Camaro/Firebird T-56, and the 2004-2006 GTO T-56.

Mustang Shifter Gasket Kits
$15.99 - 2003-2004 Cobra T-56
$16.99 - TR-3650/T5/T45
$16.99 - TKO-600/500
$17.99 - TR-3550 TKO set
$15.99 - 2011-2014 Mustang MT-82
$10.00 - Extra shifter handle gaskets (2)

GM Shifter Gasket Kits
$16.99 - 1993-2002 Camaro/Firebird T-56
$16.99 - 2004-2006 GTO T-56
$10.00 - Extra shifter handle gaskets (2)

Click on the link below to go to my website to place your order (PayPal or personal check). I am really very happy to offer these low prices. My reward is not monetary but in the satisfaction of my thousands of customers who have told me how happy they are with their quieter shifters.

Facts About My Gasket Sets
* All shifter gasket sets use the thicker 1/16" material, and are more durable and easier to install
* Inexpensive
* Enjoy a quieter shifter
* No messy RTV/silicone sealer required
* No more scraping off old, hardened RTV sealer
* Faster & cleaner shifter install
* Better shifter-to-base seal

Each set includes one base gasket and one shifter handle gasket, plus instructions.

The shifter handle gaskets are thin enough (1/16") to provide noise insulation while not compromising a solid shifter feel. I have sold thousands of sets!

All of my gasket sets are made by hand using a special high temperature silicone material specially formulated for this application. They work with any aftermarket shifter such as the Pro 5.0, TriAx, MGW, as well as the stock shifter. The shifter handle gaskets work on all 2-piece handles.

Price includes First Class Parcel Mail shipping. Average delivery time is 2-4 business days. Canada orders ship by International First Class Mail.

Payment by PayPal or mail a check (payable to Stang Shifter Gaskets, LLC) to:
Stang Shifter Gaskets, LLC
390 Chestnut Street
Cheshire, CT 06410

The ordering process is very simple. Please go to my website -- Stang Shifter Gaskets

Thanks for looking!
You have no idea how happy I am that I found this! I just bought my second Cobra after 10 year and my god, I forgot how much noise there is in the car, at least I can lessen the noise from the shift knob. Now I have to find way to stop the freaking interior panels from vibrating so much...typical Ford quality lol.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Happy to help you quiet your shifter. Amazing how well this simple mod works.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Is the website offline?
If I don't end up selling my Cobra, I'd be very interested in this.
My Tri-Ax has always been super noisy LOL
No, it's back online. I re-designed my site to sell exclusively on eBay since my website sales have gradually diminished over the years. Simple to use. Just browse for the application on the home page, click the link, and you'll go directly to the appropriate eBay listing where you can complete your purchase.

Bob

Jogo

Established Member
No, it's back online. I re-designed my site to sell exclusively on eBay since my website sales have gradually diminished over the years. Simple to use. Just browse for the application on the home page, click the link, and you'll go directly to the appropriate eBay listing where you can complete your purchase.

Bob

Hello Bob,
Trying to find your website. Please advise.
Thanks !

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hi Joe. My website is https://stangshiftergaskets.com. Scroll down a bit and you'll see all of the applications. Choose yours and you'll be taken to my eBay marketplace page. I only sell on eBay now, and just use my website to direct buyers there.

Any questions, Joe, call me at 203.530.7599.
Bob

Users who are viewing this thread