HOW-TO: QA1 Front Shocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
I just got done installing the QA1 front shocks on my L. It was a pretty painless process. The shocks I installed are for stock front suspension Lightnings. The part # is TC1540P. Here's how I installed them...

First thing is to remove the wheel/tire for the side you're going to work on. I jacked up the side I was working on with the stock jack in the stock jacking location. I used jack-stands on either side of the lower control arms also. This proved to be useful and will be discussed later...

FrontQA1Install5.jpg

FrontQA1Install.jpg

Then locate the mounting location for the top of the stock shock...
FrontQA1Install1.jpg

Then un-clip this plastic clamp and pull out the line. Then unscrew the clamp until it comes off and set it aside...
FrontQA1Install2.jpg

FrontQA1Install3.jpg

Next you want to use a 13/16" open ended wrench for the bottom nut and a 13/16" deep socket on the top nut. I started off with the tools in the pic, but I switched to using a crecent wrench on the bottom nut and a deep socket on the top because I don't have a 13/16" open ended wrench...
FrontQA1Install7.jpg

FrontQA1Install6.jpg

Once you have removed the top nut/washer/bushing assembly, go ahead and use a 1/2" socket and remove the two nuts from the lower mounting location. These nuts are on studs that stay attached to the lower control arm...
FrontQA1Install5.jpg

Then the stock shock will slide right out the hole in the bottom of the lower control arm. Next you want to set-up the QA1 to be installed through the hole in the bottom of the lower control arm. Install one of the supplied large washers and one of the supplied bushings (with the nipple facing up). Looks like this...
FrontQA1Install8.jpg

Then go ahead and slide the QA1 up through the hole in the bottom of the lower control arm. Ensure you have the nuts handy and install the bar on the bottom of the shock onto the two studs on the lower control arm. These are the same two studs that the stock shocks were attached to. Make sure that you install the QA1 with the adjustment knob facing the engine. I had to raise and lower the jack a little until I got the lower control arm in the right position to allow the shock bar to go on the studs. That's where the jack stands proved to be useful. Once the bar slides onto the studs, immediately install the nuts to hold the shock in place...
FrontQA1Install10.jpg

FrontQA1Install14.jpg

Once you have the nuts installed in the studs, move to the top. Install the other supplied bushing with the nipple facing down and follow it with the other washer. Then install the larger of the two nuts that come with the shock. Ensure that the nipples of the two bushings are facing each other and are in the hole in the upper shock mount where the shaft goes through. Then tighten down the nut until the bushing bulges out a little bit past flush with the washer. Then install the smaller nut on top of the larger nut to lock the nuts in place (double nutting). It should look like this...
FrontQA1Install12.jpg

The plastic line clamp will not screw back onto the top of the shock because it's smaller than the stock one. I just placed it on top and tie-wrapped it nice and tight...
FrontQA1Install15.jpg

Repeat the same procedures for the other side and you're done. I decided to start with three clicks on the shocks to see how that feels and adjust from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread