How to properly jack up rear

Live Wire

Established Member
So, to clarify….

I’m looking to replace my factory catback exhaust this summer. I’m no mechanic, so what takes everyone 2 hours (per manufacturer), will take me a weekend to do. I want to get the rear end as high into the air as I can, so I’d like to get the rear tires onto my rhino ramps. Here’s the prob: my garage is not very deep. Even putting the ramps directly behind the tire and backing it up onto them will prevent me from being able to close the garage door because it will not clear the bumper. I can’t back into the garage and onto the ramps because to clear the garage door will cause me to not have the rear clearance I need.

Question: is it safe to jack up this car high enough to slide rhino ramps under the tires? If yes, how is it done safely? Chock the front and jack on each side, raising at the torque boxes a little at a time?

If not safe to raise it that high to slide ramps under the tires, I will use jack stands. Where is the safest place to place the stands if I am jacking at the torque box? Would it be to place them under the rear portion of the (factory) subframe connector?

Thanks for any feedback.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
I jack up the rear from the diff, always have. I'll use a small rectangular 2x4 to disperse the load across the diff (don't jack it up from the seam). If u can't get a jack under the rear just drive the rear tires onto some 2x12's. As far as jack stands I put them directly onto the subframe connectors.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I jack on lower control arm

If only a cat back.

You may just drive up on your ramps

These are the easiest exhaust to swap piece around
It all in the open.

4 rubber bands and 4 bolts.

The rear of tail will slide out of mount. No need to remove mount.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
To jack up the rear and slide ramps under all you have to do is place the Jack under the beefy IRS front arm where it curves. You can reach it from in front of the tire and it will lift the whole back end even without subframe connectors.

Sent from my SM-G973U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Find a way to back onto the ramps. Do the project on your driveway if needed. It won’t take long. When I’ve back onto my ramps, I pull into the garage, leave the door open, use the lip of my garage floor to hold the ramps and then back onto them leaving the ass hanging out of the garage. If your wheels aren’t blocking the sensor, make sure everyone knows not to close the garage door on your car.

bigmoose

Established Member
If you plan to change your catback you want these:

Lisle 38350 Exhaust Hanger Removal Pliers

They are cheap on Amazon. Without them you'll shoot yourself.

Live Wire

Established Member
Alright, thanks guys. Guess I'll just plan on a weekend project in the driveway. I wasn't all that geeked about trying to jack it up that high to get the ramps under it anyway.

Is there any value to 38k mile OEM exhaust on craigslist? Should I keep them in one piece to sell with the car if I ever do? If they have no real value, I will plan to cut them out with a reciprocating saw... I can't see myself going back to the original sound.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Alright, thanks guys. Guess I'll just plan on a weekend project in the driveway. I wasn't all that geeked about trying to jack it up that high to get the ramps under it anyway.

Is there any value to 38k mile OEM exhaust on craigslist? Should I keep them in one piece to sell with the car if I ever do? If they have no real value, I will plan to cut them out with a reciprocating saw... I can't see myself going back to the original sound.

i never thought i might ever need it either and threw it in the dumpster when i first brought the car home from the dealer. but then 15 years later, i did.

yes, there is a value.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I use subframe connectors for jack stands. If those are not an option, I put jacks under the black curvy control arm things. Not sure what they are called. Then I place ramps under the wheels for added safety.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Live Wire

Established Member
i never thought i might ever need it either and threw it in the dumpster when i first brought the car home from the dealer. but then 15 years later, i did.

yes, there is a value.

Interesting. I've been listening to the stock sound for 8 years and have never been all that enamored with it. Probably because I came from my 08 GT with no mufflers; just SLP resonators which sounded great. But I get what you're saying; I'll try and keep them in one piece.

Live Wire

Established Member
I use subframe connectors for jack stands. If those are not an option, I put jacks under the black curvy control arm things. Not sure what they are called. Then I place ramps under the wheels for added safety.

Yea, this is my intention. Get it up on ramps, and then crank it up a couple more inches and throw jack stands under the stock (convertible) subframe connectors.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
No need to cut anything. They'll come out easy enough in one piece. I'd store them somewhere. Never know what the future holds.

Live Wire

Established Member
An hour to change the catback and then 8 hours to get the tailpipes perfect lol.

Funny you mention this... it's the first thing I thought of looking at the various catback systems. Some systems like the Borla Atak don't have but a couple clamp positions on either side of the muffler. Others like SLP have four clamps throughout the system. Lots of positions for perfect alignment mean lots of places to come unaligned I guess.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Funny you mention this... it's the first thing I thought of looking at the various catback systems. Some systems like the Borla Atak don't have but a couple clamp positions on either side of the muffler. Others like SLP have four clamps throughout the system. Lots of positions for perfect alignment mean lots of places to come unaligned I guess.

It can be a pita but when you have a nice set of polished pipes perfectly parallel under the car it's one of those little elements that has a huge impact.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Yea, this is my intention. Get it up on ramps, and then crank it up a couple more inches and throw jack stands under the stock (convertible) subframe connectors.
get rid of those things .. pretty worthless and they are bolt in. get yourself a set of full length weld on and put a matrix brace on with some jacking rails
bassanifront.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread