• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

~ How To Polish Your Exhaust~

Discussion in 'How-To' started by 04sleeper, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Phil'scobra

Phil'scobra Member Established Member

Need ideas for SLP exhaust, The tips and mufflers look good, but the pipes look like crap, I read not to polish then up due to not being the right material. Any suggestions? I could get them powder coated but Chromed would look real good.

2. JustaGT5408

JustaGT5408 Active Member Established Member

Thanks for the write-up Kevin, I just got around to getting mine shined back up. Thankfully, Brandon already did the hard work with the coarse grit sandpapers since he polished it in the past :banana:

I started at 1000 to get the discoloration off and worked on up to 3000 and polished from there. What a huge difference it makes!

photo12_zps7b303100.jpg
    photo22_zpsdc235312.jpg

Kind of a crappy pic, but didnt have much light to work with

photo3_zps6937ce89.jpg

3. cj428mach

cj428mach Well-Known Member Established Member

My magnaflow looks terrible as it has about 75k miles from being on my old car and at one time it had a rear end leak. I powerwashed it when I swapped it but it still looked terrible.

The 100 grit is getting it cleaned up but I have some deep scrapes on the bottom that aren't probably going to come out and I hope they won't be seen. What I'd really like to know is how you guys with heavily used exhausts are getting them clean around the hangars. I think I'll have to buy a flapper wheel and sand the weld down almost flush to get the black out of all the crevices.

4. jblood37

jblood37 Well-Known Member Established Member

I contemplated buying a stainless system, but just polished my aluminized instead. I think it has a good enough shine.

IMAG0879_zpspiuqonus.jpg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  5. Rob_Stylez

Rob_Stylez Member Established Member

I want to try this on a Bassani cat that will be going up for sell soon, can you post moar pics :-D

6. Go Down South

Go Down South Member Established Member

This is going to be my first project for mine. I have a bassani catback so hopefully it will come out well.

7. maltz87

maltz87 New Member Established Member

Well after several hours throughout the week, it is finally done. It came out flawless and can not wait to put them (bassani xpipe and bola stingers catback) on sometime in the next few months when the snow melts.........

IMG_0057.JPG

IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  8. quad

quad Well-Known Member Established Member

You're not kidding. That came out amazing!

9. 04sleeper

04sleeper Runs On "Liquid Gold" Staff Member Super Moderator

Nice Job!

10. 03cobra#694

03cobra#694 Want to play a game? Staff Member Super Moderator

Those turned out great. How long did it take you?

11. TERMINATED97

TERMINATED97 Active Member Established Member

I just finished polishing my borla stinger catback. Came out just like others (flawless). I spent about 2 hours on each side.

12. TERMINATED97

TERMINATED97 Active Member Established Member

IMG_0479_zps7ef6d2f5.jpg

13. maltz87

maltz87 New Member Established Member

well drinking several beers in the process, the total time was about 4 hrs per tube (100, 320, 400, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 grit). Your arms get sore after stroking it for so long........:beer:

14. johncm

johncm SLOW Established Member

After quite a bit of patience and hard work I have finished one side, will finish the other tomorrow and post pictures hopefully.
    Definitely a good idea to wear gloves, my hands are not stained from the polishing/sanding.

15. 03cobra#694

03cobra#694 Want to play a game? Staff Member Super Moderator

Hahahaha, I had about 10 hrs in mine.

16. stangfreak

stangfreak Well-Known Member Established Member

thats a lot of stroking

17. wreckit

wreckit Member Established Member

I gotta say, after talking with you.... you were right 04Sleeper! I took my time and put lots of emphasis on the first stages and the results were AMAZING. IMG_2301.JPG IMG_2302.JPG IMG_2288.JPG

I started out with a 120 grit flapper wheel, this is by far the best option compared to doing it by hand on the first step, with a corded power drill. I used a battery operated drill at first, but it didn't sand the pipe down nearly as well as the corded drill.
    but i not only sanded down the "bends marks," I sanded down the entire effin pipe!! it made the next steps a breeze!!! it took me between 2-3 hours per pipe and came out flawless!
    The mothers mag aluminum shine and polish really brought the mirror finish at the end. IF i did not use that polish, it would still look hazy and brushed with very little shine.

Your the man for making this write up.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  18. 04sleeper

04sleeper Runs On "Liquid Gold" Staff Member Super Moderator

Glad I could help! Came out fantastic!

It's all what your willing to put into it.

Now that it's done, it's much easier to maintain and will look great for years to come!

19. Reflex2dr

Reflex2dr New Member

Did the exhaust on my Volkswagen GTI with this. My advice to anyone who hasn't done this would be to not use the 150 grit or anything less than 220 unless you need it. Just a lot more work to get installed scratches out and I don't personally think its worth the effort to chase scratches that require that low of a grit because you're not even going to see them anyways. The exhaust will still shine up like a mirror. I used a Porter Cable 7424 random orbital on some of the higher grits and it seemed to do more harm than good with small circular scratches. It always shined up better when i did it by hand in one direction. Other than that just make sure you spend adequate time sanding at each step to minimize scratches getting left over from earlier grits.

I included 2000, 2500, and 3000 grit with 3M trizact; it brought out a lot of shine. Finished with Simichrome on a drill. If you look close you can see some light scratching(pretty sure everyones is the same - I can even see marks in my stainless muffler that was polished from the manufacturer) but overall it turned out pretty well. Did it over the course of a few days. I used to have a Bullitt so I knew of guys doing this with other mustangs. Don't know how to post pictures here but I just wanted to comment. Thanks for the write up.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  20. choate

choate Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand Established Member

6 hours and 50k miles of road removal. Started w 80 grit

20161112_174942_zpsdh0djdrr.gif

20161112_113134_zps4f3q8d4u.gif