How To: Passenger Door Handle Without Lock Cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

fullboogie

Established Member
For those of you who've had the unfortunate pleasure of having someone attempt to break into your Lightning by popping one of the locks, this is for you. In recent weeks both of my door locks/handles have been ruined by some jackleg trying to break into my truck. Having to install new handles on both sides, I decided to use one on the passenger side with no key cylinder - one less point of entry.

You will need to order part no. 5L1Z*7826604*AAPTM, which is a right rear door handle from a 2002 Expedition. I got mine from Tousley Ford for $71.90 shipped. It comes unpainted, so figure another $40 or so for paint.

I don't have pics, but this is a very straightforward install. Remove inner door panel and remove the two nuts holding the handle to the door. Pop the handle out of the door about an inch, and remove the "E" clip holding the lock rod to the back of the lock cylinder. Remove the lock rod completely.

The only "tricky" part is removing the door latch rod. If you follow it down from the handle to the latch mechanism, you will see a yellow plastic latch-type thingy that holds the rod to the latch mechanism. There's actually a little clip on that thing that you need to pop in order to remove the rod, but it's hard to get to because it's facing the outboard part of the door. Take a small box end wrench, slip the box end over the front of the plastic rod latch holder, and pull towards the front of the door. That will pop it open and allow the rod and handle to be removed from the outside of the door.

Unlike what I've read from others, the door handle part # above does not require any grinding, clearancing, or other mods to work. It fits in place perfectly and clears the window guide. Just take the latch rod off the old handle, put it on the new handle, and feed it into the door from the outside. Put the rod in place, close the plastic latch on the rod, and install the two nuts that secure the handle.

You now have a new door handle without a keyhole. One less thing to worry about! This handle worked on my 2004 L - I can only assume it will work on other year L's - but I don't know for sure.

Thanks to Rob (203Cree) for his help in getting on the right track with this project.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread