How To: MMR Billet Oil Pump Gear's Install. **A FEW PICS**

WeaponX2K

Is the TTY Crankshaft bolt BR3Z-6A340-A the oem style of what MMR has as a Harmonic Balancer Bolt? $13.99+$54 shipping in the US is a bit pricey in my opinion for a bolt.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Is the TTY Crankshaft bolt BR3Z-6A340-A the oem style of what MMR has as a Harmonic Balancer Bolt? $13.99+$54 shipping in the US is a bit pricey in my opinion for a bolt.

Shipping for the bolt you have listed is just $2 , not $54 as you have listed??? Did you have other items in your shopping cart? and yes, to answer your question it is the genuine Ford Bolt, we have also lowered the price to just $5

You can order here: http://www.modularmotorsportsracing...ge=product_info&cPath=4_30_32&products_id=869

MMR

Last edited:

WeaponX2K

Ok so I just need one bolt for this swap correct? Not the BR3Z-6A340-A bolt and MMR bolt together? My Whipple kit shipped and I'm trying to make sure I have everything in order to do it all together. This S550 is my first Mustang and this will be my first time doing this. Great info here!

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Correct! Let us know if we can help with anything else, be sure while you are in there to also replace the lower crankshaft gear!

http://www.modularmotorsportsracing...page=product_info&cPath=28_29&products_id=580

467892_001.jpg

roki187

Established Member
Thank you so much for taking the time to get this done. Much appreciated.
Are those part numbers for 14 or 15 as well?

jchristena

Established Member
So, a couple of clarifications.

1. Once the plugs are out, can you just use the old crank bolt to spin the motor? Are you always spinning it clockwise? Just wondering if you need the '303-448' crank holding tool that the procedure recommends.

2. MMR sells a replacement crank bolt:
This one:
http://www.modularmotorsportsracing.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=869

and a harmonic balancer install bolt:
This one:
http://www.modularmotorsportsracing...page=product_info&cPath=26_27&products_id=289

I get the first one since its TTY. But is the second one simply a robust bolt used to suck the balancer back on to the crank?

BTW, heres the Ford timing procedure doc for anyone that might want it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/847884/15-16MustangTiming.pdf

tgranber

Established Member
62k miles on my car. About to install a Paxton and do my OPG at the same time. Is there anything else I should replace since I'm in there and it would be cheap to do at the same time?

tennis_pr0

Established Member
Gonna be doing this soon. Question. Why do you have to mark the chain and sprocket at all? Once you line the engine up and take the chain on, why does it matter how it goes back on? the crank and cams are lined up, so whats the point in marking the chain at that point?

Vert

Established Member
I believe its for when you put it back together and if the marks don't line up, then one of the cam gears moved and timing will be off. I think its more of a double check.

tennis_pr0

Established Member
Also, is it recommended to change the crank sprocket out and other timing components? If you do change the crank sprocket, would it be a good idea to change the chain as well?

hirting

Established Member
I just wanted to say thanks to Blazer and others on this forum for this awesome "How To" guide and pointers. I just completed the install of my Boundary Oil Pump gears and MMR timing chain sprocket yesterday. I would not have attempted this job without this how to guide. Having this invaluable guidance allowed me to develop the courage to get the job done with the help of a mechanically minded friend. This guide saved me big money on labor, gave me the satisfaction of completing the work myself, and helped me to become more familiar with the internal workings of my engine. Now onto installing the Paxton supercharger this weekend and then crossing my fingers that the car starts!

BTW, I am not sure why Ford did not put a belt tensioner on the A/C belt of the 2013's but taking off and putting on the belt was a PITA. We just rolled it on and off but there was a ton of tension which made it difficult. Thank goodness for an extra set of hands and mechanical know how.

Also, the back bolt on the oil pick up tube was a complete pain once it was close to coming off. The head of the bolt is further down in the pan. We simply wrapped a piece of string around the bolt 1.5 times and then unwound it a couple times and it spun right off. Just be sure you drain the oil and fill the pan with rags to catch the bolt. We used the string and screwdriver to put it back on and it only took a couple of minutes. Pretty nifty trick for those loose hard to get to bolts. I hope this helps someone else who may be thinking of doing this job.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
The two oil pump housing bolts and the two studs are reuseable? When your done torquing them how do you do the added degree turns? I thought that the bolts than needed to be turned to a certain degree were the torque to yield bolts.

vortecd

Established Member
Interesting thing we found with the timing marks. My engine is out of the car. We lined up the timing marks and turned the engine over 4 times and the timing marks to the dark link are off by one tooth on both cams and crank gear. 4 more times around and it is 2 links off, 4 more turns and 3 links off.

This may explain why in the write up the dark links are not on the timing marks.

dutchrower16

Established Member
I was one link off when put it back together. Took is apart again, lined up all the dark links, rotated and it was off 1 link. Rotated it 2 or 4 more times (can't remember) it was off 2 links. So then I pulled all the spark plugs, rotated I think 20ish times then all the dark links and timing marks lined back up. So at that point I knew I was good to go.

Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread