How to make regular shoes "non slip"

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
New Balance Women's Slip-Resistant Shoes - Shoes For Crews

Yes, they do work. For whatever reason, Penske Automoive Group LOVED slick industrial ceramic tile in their shops. OSHA hazard of there ever was one. Shoes For Crews and Suregrip were the only non slip brand of shoes that could grip the floor when there was water, oil or coolant on the tile. They literally kept me from slipping more times than I can count.

SFC bought out Suregrip. Suregrip started the idea of producing shoes from name brands and finishing the build with Suregrip soles. I had a pair of their Suregrip equipped DC's and literally wore them for 2 years nearly every day. Only reason I had to dump them was because I wore right through the insert past the top layer into the sole structure.

The New balance line is likely just as well made s the DC's were. They are New Balance shows finished off by SFC with their soles. Absolute lifesavers.
I assume with 2 years of wear you didn't have any comfort or uneven wear issues?

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
None of the above, I just call it like I see it. I don't understand why shit posters like you need to stick your nose where it doesn't belong.

Why so sensitive broseph? The leopard print protective gear was just meant as a bit of humor.

Everyone is so quick to get defensive nowadays..... tsk tsk tsk.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
Why so sensitive broseph? The leopard print protective gear was just meant as a bit of humor.

Everyone is so quick to get defensive nowadays..... tsk tsk tsk.
I suppose the issue is it's not productive for what I started the thread for and it definitely came off as blatant shit talk. If that wasn't the intention then the fault is on me for misinterpreting.

buffalosoldier

Established Member
Sperry Topsiders have a pretty good nonslip sole, They were developed for the navy back in the 1930a for good footing on wet ship decks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I suppose the issue is it's not productive for what I started the thread for and it definitely came off as blatant shit talk. If that wasn't the intention then the fault is on me for misinterpreting.

I understand that this was a legitimate query, just figured a quick quip would provide some humor to an otherwise monotonous topic. Definitely, no offense meant, my man.

I think you just saw the knee pads and then saw red... lol.

Anyways, no harm done and back to the topic at hand....

You might try taking the Nikes and some same size non-slip soled shoes to a shoe repair shop and have them put together a custom piece.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Sperry Topsiders have a pretty good nonslip sole, They were developed for the navy back in the 1930a for good footing on wet ship decks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Not for the Navy. Sperry was a boater and just converted leasure mocs by adding the sipes so he didn't fall off the wet teak decking.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Just buy some legit work shoes with built in nonslip.

Any hack job BS is going to cost about the same.

You should be cycling incerts and shoes regularly. People neglect orthopedic health and it leads to all sorts of issues later on.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
I buy Walmart work boots and then put inserts in them.

Waterproof, oil resistant, electrical rated, slip resistant, steel toe.

$36 bucks.

Surely you can find something similar and go the insert route.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Just buy some legit work shoes with built in nonslip.

Any hack job BS is going to cost about the same.

You should be cycling incerts and shoes regularly. People neglect orthopedic health and it leads to all sorts of issues later on.

definitely, I have separate shoes for running (several pairs) and then my daily drivers. I never put my running shoes into the daily driver rotation when I am still running them. Once they are retired they will got to daily, or yard/garage duty depending on their condition. I keep several dress shoes in the rotation as well. I also use a large wooden dowel to roll on lower leg muscles and a foot roller. I have been a runner for years and these practices have kept me in the game fairly injury free.

MG0h3

Established Member
This. Most materials used for soles are thermosets, not thermoplastic elastomers. Nothing is going to want to bond properly enough to make it a long-lasting solution, and you can't rely on heat.

The problem with "slip resistant" is the "pick two" dilemma. Softer materials are tacky, softer materials also wear faster...

I’d go with the MT ET Street SS soles for max grip on the street.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
If you find something that is slip resistant on grease and oil I will be impressed.

Sent from my [toilet] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I agree. I’ve only been around a few commercial kitchens and couldn’t believe how slippery it was. Worse than a damn ice rink! Don’t think a nonslip shoe will fix it.

Maybe the owner/manager could put down some sort of rubber matting. Not permanent, just in the travel area where they could pick it up and rinse it outside when they do any floor cleaning. I’ve seen some that is kind of a mesh so it basically eliminates the smooth surface issue.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
definitely, I have separate shoes for running (several pairs) and then my daily drivers. I never put my running shoes into the daily driver rotation when I am still running them. Once they are retired they will got to daily, or yard/garage duty depending on their condition. I keep several dress shoes in the rotation as well. I also use a large wooden dowel to roll on lower leg muscles and a foot roller. I have been a runner for years and these practices have kept me in the game fairly injury free.
I wear cowboy boots or flip flops. If you see me running, try to keep up. Something big is after me, and I am out of ammo.

Sent from my [toilet] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
...I keep several dress shoes in the rotation as well...
i-also-have-several-dress-shoes-wanna-spoon.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread