how to make 500whp without porter blower?

Victor933

Established Member
i have a 2004 cobra and i was wondering if these parts i’m going to get will make it 500whp without having to port the blower i’m planning to get 2.7 pulley,Kennebell BAP,60lb injectors,90mm sct maf,bassani x pipe,car already has borla exhaust and jlt intake will be switch out plugs for some ngk tr6 also do you guys recommend changing the throttle body to a acufab single blade ?

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Horsepower numbers are subject to a lot of factors. I think we'll all agree that it's better to set your expectations low so it's harder to be disappointed. However, I know that it's a lot more fun to be able to say it makes 500 versus 496. lol

What fuel do you plan to run? I don't see it happening on anything less than 93oct and it's still going to be a close call. The BAP, injectors, and MAF are a good idea if you're sticking with pump gas. A fuel system and E85 might seal the deal, however. I guess it depends on your future plans for the car.

You're going to need all the airflow help you can get so yeah, do the single blade with the improved plenum/elbow.

Take a look at the blower + crank pulley combos. I never pushed the Eaton very hard when I had it on the car, but I know there's a sweet spot with pulley combos. Something like 2.83 upper and a 4lb lower. For reference, on 93, mine made 457rwhp with a 2.76 blower pulley, K&N intake (filter, heat shield, stock intake tube), and Magnaflow catted x + cat-back.

Victor933

Established Member
Horsepower numbers are subject to a lot of factors. I think we'll all agree that it's better to set your expectations low so it's harder to be disappointed. However, I know that it's a lot more fun to be able to say it makes 500 versus 496. lol

What fuel do you plan to run? I don't see it happening on anything less than 93oct and it's still going to be a close call. The BAP, injectors, and MAF are a good idea if you're sticking with pump gas. A fuel system and E85 might seal the deal, however. I guess it depends on your future plans for the car.

You're going to need all the airflow help you can get so yeah, do the single blade with the improved plenum/elbow.

Take a look at the blower + crank pulley combos. I never pushed the Eaton very hard when I had it on the car, but I know there's a sweet spot with pulley combos. Something like 2.83 upper and a 4lb lower. For reference, on 93, mine made 457rwhp with a 2.76 blower pulley, K&N intake (filter, heat shield, stock intake tube), and Magnaflow catted x + cat-back.

Victor933

Established Member

i’m planning to run 91 octane on the car my plans with the car is just make 500whp your right it will be nice to say that instead of 490 lol not trying to go crazy on the car yet i’ll ask my tuner what are the best pulley combos to see what i can go for

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I don't see it happening on 91 unless your tuner is a magician. lol 460ish feels about right

patc84

Established Member
You also dont want your tuner to tune our drivability and reliability of the car.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Generally speaking and briefly stated, you want the highest octane you can reasonably get. Like patc84 said, you don't want the motor operating on the hairy edge of reliability in order to squeeze out every last ounce of power. Higher octane fuel will help raise that edge. Again, speaking in broad strokes here.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Spray nitrous.

I don't think I've seen a 500hp set up with a stock blower. Maybe with E85, but at that point most are running a bigger blower. Out here I think the highest I've seen was 470ish. And that was on a cool day.

Victor933

Established Member
yep i will be happy with anything over
Generally speaking and briefly stated, you want the highest octane you can reasonably get. Like patc84 said, you don't want the motor operating on the hairy edge of reliability in order to squeeze out every last ounce of power. Higher octane fuel will help raise that edge. Again, speaking in broad strokes here.
yep i will take that in consideration like patch said i want it reliable anything over 470 i will be satisfied i don’t want to push the eaton to it’s limits thanks guys

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
you recommend 93?
If 93 is available, why would you want to even consider 91? To even get into the 470-480rwhp range with an unported Eaton, you're definitely going to want 93. Overwise, as already pointed out, you'll probably get a best of around 460 with 91. IMO anything in the 455-475rwhp range is going to be enough fun until you start hungering for more, and then you'll be probably looking at a twin-screw, fuel mods, and maybe headers to breeze past the 550 mark. How high you go from there depends on your twin-screw (or VMP TVS blower), boost, your tune and supporting mods. Just don't put away your wallet, LOL, because these cars can quickly rob you blind. But they reward you with brutish power and torque with the right mods. For the record, my old 2003 Cobra with unported Eaton, Accufab TB, 2.90 pulley, Steeda catback with X-pipe (and cats), ported MAF, dual Focus fuel pumps and stock injectors made 457rwhp and 480rwtq (SAE). I still remember the first drive after getting the above engine mods done.
Fun! Fun! Fun!
upload_2020-10-26_20-32-37.png

stangfreak

Established Member
You need a ported eaton. Anybody on here who knows jimmy vaccaro, we had a dyno day at mustang magic back when the ported eaton came out. A certain cobra from shop x, claimed his non ported eaton was making 500+rwhp. uncle jimmy told the guy he would pay for his dyno pulls if it made that. Guy said, but but, the shop dynoed my car and it made over 500rwho. Cool. car ended up making 460rwhp. I wont say who tuned the car lol. He got mad and didnt like the car anymore. we told him, dude, why are you mad, this is what they are supposed to make lol. damn im getting old lol

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Find a happy dyno, plenty out there. To a point, they can make the readout whatever you want it to be..

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
You need a ported eaton. Anybody on here who knows jimmy vaccaro, we had a dyno day at mustang magic back when the ported eaton came out. A certain cobra from shop x, claimed his non ported eaton was making 500+rwhp. uncle jimmy told the guy he would pay for his dyno pulls if it made that. Guy said, but but, the shop dynoed my car and it made over 500rwho. Cool. car ended up making 460rwhp. I wont say who tuned the car lol. He got mad and didnt like the car anymore. we told him, dude, why are you mad, this is what they are supposed to make lol. damn im getting old lol

Curious to know the shop. Only other one I know around has a heart breaking Mustang Dyno. If he said he made more on their dyno he's REALLY full of shit.

CustomX

Established Member
You don't have enough mods to realistically make 500whp. Depending on what kind of dyno you dyno on you are probably a solid 450-460whp car. My ported eaton car made 540/570 on e85 with a 2.8 upper and 4lb lower.

stangfreak

Established Member
Curious to know the shop. Only other one I know around has a heart breaking Mustang Dyno. If he said he made more on their dyno he's REALLY full of shit.

yea there are no stock eaton cobras making over 500rwhp with basic bolt ons. I don't remember if the guy wanted to see his air fuel but, I remember he wanted to sell his car after he ran it on the dyno at mustang magic. and we told him, dude, this is what they make. you will not see 505rwhp without a ported blower on 93 octane.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I know Jimmy, but haven't seen him since around 2006, at Atco. Great guy. How's he doing, if you know? How about Dom?

That's a funny story. I remember back then the many claims of 500rwhp with a non-ported Eaton. Pretty much all of them were from happy dynos. In some cases the owners were surprised when they hit the track and found their slips didn't match the claimed power. .

Oh, and I'm not GETTING old. I AM old! LOL.

stangfreak

Established Member
I know Jimmy, but haven't seen him since around 2006, at Atco. Great guy. How's he doing, if you know? How about Dom?

That's a funny story. I remember back then the many claims of 500rwhp with a non-ported Eaton. Pretty much all of them were from happy dynos. In some cases the owners were surprised when they hit the track and found their slips didn't match the claimed power. .

Oh, and I'm not GETTING old. I AM old! LOL.

Haha. You also were part of the good ol days when the cobra came out. How awesome was that!! You remember how jimmys character was right, imagine him telling the guy he would pay for the runs lol. This was when the very first port came out for the cobra. Brian from APTEN. That shows you how long this was. Jimmy was just the best. Anytime you saw a group of people in a circle laughing and getting along, yep, jimmy was in the center. The last time I saw jimmy was when big joe still was the owner of mustang magic. Nobody has seen him since. I really hope he is doing well. I tried calling him a few times but no answer. even venomous john, we all tried calling him and no answer. That group that formed in 2003 when the cobra came out, here in new york, new jersey and ct, its gone. The best people I have met. They were all pioneers and I was glad to have met them. But as far as the happy dyno's, I have seen a lot of drama. I won't even get into it. I know a lot of shit haha. But bob, as long as your healthy and still going, that is what matters!!

And you nailed it on the head when you said the owners were mad when the slips didn't match the power they were making. I have seen certain mustangs that claimed they had 900rwhp, 950rwhp. 800rwhp 03 cobras. They showed up at our dyno day, made less power, made a few calls, yelling, went to a track rental and the cars didn't even come close to the "950" rwhp sheet. and these cars had the best of the best parts and amazing drivers. so. You have seen it yourself!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yep, reading your comments about Jimmy brought a smile and a laugh. You had to know him to understand his humor. LOL. I remember Brian from Apten, too. My Eaton was done by Apten and Brian had mine polished. It was the first Apten port that got a polished case. Sad the group is gone. It was a good one. And a great time in the early Terminator days.

Users who are viewing this thread