how to make 350+ hp n/a 4.6L

Status
Not open for further replies.

coxk

Established Member
hey guys i was just wanting someone else's thoughts on how they would achieve 350 maybe more upwards towards 400 hp naturally aspirated on a 4.6L and what kinda $$$ it would cost and best place to buy the parts to do it! thanks.

2004gt604

38FCKER
Established Member
i saw a thread where somebody did make 350 i cant find it thought but going to need a 150 shot thats all i can remember

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Is it a 4v or 2v? full exhaust,intake,cams and a tune would get you close.

Edit: This must be the 2v section right? In that case its going to be much harder.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
In a 2v your going to need very aggressive heads, cams, and intake manifold to even get close. Even then your still going to be hoping your cars a freak. Nitrous is not N/A, it's a power adder so that takes that out of the equation. Now if we're talking rebuilding the 2v, you could always raise the compression that would be the best way to make more N/A power. There's also the option of going to E85 so you could run a lot more timing which would help, but at this point your just spending the money stupidly. The reason you don't see N/A 2v's making this kind of power is because for the same price you could have a blower. Is your goal 350 to the wheels N/A?

2004gt604

38FCKER
Established Member
In a 2v your going to need very aggressive heads, cams, and intake manifold to even get close. Even then your still going to be hoping your cars a freak. Nitrous is not N/A, it's a power adder so that takes that out of the equation. Now if we're talking rebuilding the 2v, you could always raise the compression that would be the best way to make more N/A power. There's also the option of going to E85 so you could run a lot more timing which would help, but at this point your just spending the money stupidly. The reason you don't see N/A 2v's making this kind of power is because for the same price you could have a blower. Is your goal 350 to the wheels N/A?

oh my bad i was just thing turbo or supercharger

coxk

Established Member
hey guys thanks for the reply's yes my goal was 350+ to the wheels i'm unfamiliar with the mod motors, always delt with push rod motors which getting that kind of power is a breeze. and my motor is a 4.6L 2v stock with a cai i've had the car for 2 years now as a daily driver and i want more power now figured if i could get 350+ for cheap i would do it but it looks like i'm going to supercharge it, now for the next question, what all do i need to supercharge it? where can i get a forge kit for a good price and it be quality? and do i have to change the computer or just tune it? like i said im unfamiliar with modular motors.
thanks.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Stock internals are said to be able to handle >450. So for your goal stock internals are fine. As far as for a blower your going to be spending between 3-4.5k I'd guess and there is many many options of what you could get. A positive displacement blower like an eaton (Tork tech) or a kenne bell are my personal preference but people will argue centrifiguals as well. And you wouldn't have to change the computer just get a dunk tune to get your setup dialed in!

Rudders331cobra

Established Member
I talked to MMR I am going with for my bullitt MMR 750S.E 4.75 with boss block trick flow heads and cam. Basically doing a 324ci. But I seen people running Trickflow 44cc heads comp 272 cam, long tubes, TB and Trickflow intake with full exhaust running 341 to tire. Hope that helps

coxk

Established Member
well to be safe im gonna forge the motor and i plan on getting a stock eaton at first (cheaper) then save for a kenne bell so what about injectors and everything else is there any thing i need to change on the motor? or just get the forge kit and the eaton setup?

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
I'd google some of this, there's more information out there than we possibly have time to type out. But you can't put an eaton on a 2v without the Tork tech kit. So it's not really that much cheaper.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
just somethin else to check out

Recipe for a 350 RWHP N/A 2V

For the price of that you could be blown with the ability to spend 100 dollars and swap a pulley to make more power, can't do that N/A. This is just my opinion, which everyone is entitled to. But if your going to spend that kind of money don't you want the possibility for potential power at a fairly cheap price?

coxk

Established Member
alright lol i didn't know that about the eaton, thanks alot im just gonna take the dive and build a separate motor so i can take my time and save up to buy piece by piece with a kenne bell. thanks a lot for the help!

Stanger00

Established Member
If you do a big bore with stock stroke and 10.5:1 compression and TFS heads with cams in the 240* range on intake and exhaust and eldebrock vic jr intake maniold you can come close to 400hp at the tire. You will have to spin the motor to about 7k rpms but it will make a lot of horsepower.

But that is a complete motor build with everything new...Probably would be cheaper to buy a good used supercharger set up.

SCalla1384

Established Member
I know this is alittle older, guy on ModdedMustangs made 393rwhp and 398rwtq NA. Had a 5.3L Stroker (324ci), 11.3 compression, MHS stage 4 cams, TFS 38cc Heads, and Kooks LTs. His car is a Bullitt, so it has the Bullitt intake, which I believe hurt his power numbers up top. I think a Eddy intake, or just a high revving intake would have made more power, maybe like 410-415rwhp seeing as how those cams like RPMs. He would have lost alittle torque down low.

DSCF1099.jpg

2001 bullitt 393 hp 398 tq n/a 2 valve - YouTube

1MeanNonPI2v

Established Member
I just built a 2v engine that should make around 450 horsepower N/A at the crank. It shouldn't be tough to make 350 N/A on a stock 4.6 short block. Heads, cams, intake and a compression ration of 10.0:1 or higher should get you there. There are a lot of choices out there, most importantly, don't over cam your engine.

Check out my build, I am planning on doing a lot of street driving and some auto cross and road racing events. it will get a healthy shot of squeeze when it goes to the drag strip. I built it to take at least a 250HP shot of giggle gas.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/sn-95-new-edge-mustangs-62/855758-my-2v-4-6l-engine-build.html

nellyp

That is my bullitt being talked about in the previous post, and yes, I need a new intake, but I am kinda have a hard time deciding, this car is a daily driver, and I don't want to kill the low end. Seems like every intake I look at will kill it down low. Also, we had a gt leave our shop with 355 to the wheels with a stock 01 cobra aluminum shortblock, tfs heads and vt stage 2 cams through an auto.

SCalla1384

Established Member
That is my bullitt being talked about in the previous post, and yes, I need a new intake, but I am kinda have a hard time deciding, this car is a daily driver, and I don't want to kill the low end. Seems like every intake I look at will kill it down low. Also, we had a gt leave our shop with 355 to the wheels with a stock 01 cobra aluminum shortblock, tfs heads and vt stage 2 cams through an auto.

Nice man, your car is badass. Definitley one of my favorite builds. So close to 400rwhp NA through a 2V is badass.

I really think you should go with an eddy intake. You may lose alittle downlow, but think about it, when are you at 2000-3000rpm racing? If your making power til 7000rpm, youll see 2000-3000rpm in 1st gear and thats it. Plus once you start going like 70-80mph, its that horsepower getting you through the air, not the torque anymore.

Who knows, you may not even lose any low end.

Any other videos of that car? Flybys or anything? Any track numbers? I really want to hear those Kooks on the 2V

nellyp

Thanks man,, I was looking at the eddy, also at the new tfs street burner, that one seems like the way to go, and no track times or anything, I work in afghanistan, and had to leave right after it was tuned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread