How to lower your cobra - cut coils method

dezertcobra

Established Member
alright guys this is my first how to thread so here goes. I decided to cut my springs after reading about it here on SVT. I cut 1 coil out of the front and 3/4 coil out of rear with basic hand tools and a few air tools. It took about 4-5 hours by myself taking pictures along the way. It looks awesome but does scrape over speedbumps and sharp driveways as any lowered car should. all factory isos are still in car. make sure to check alignment after complete.
tools needed:
ramps, jack, jack stands, spring compressor (you can rent it from autozone), grinder or cutoff wheel, basic hand tools. it will save time if you have an air compressor and air tools such as an impact.
STOCK HEIGHT
DSCF00202.jpg

DSCF0021.jpg
DSCF0022.jpg

STOCK FRONT CLEARANCE
DSCF0024.jpg

STOCK REAR CLEARANCE
DSCF00252.jpg

STOCK FRONT RIDE HEIGHT
DSCF0026.jpg

STOCK REAR RIDE HEIGHT
DSCF0027.jpg

REMOVE FRONT WHEELS
DSCF0029.jpg

REMOVE FRONT CALIPER BY REMOVING E CLIP AND PIN ON LOWER PART OF CALIPER. HANG CALIPER IN CAVITY BEHIND SHOCK
DSCF0042.jpg

REMOVE SWAYBAR END LINK ON BOTH SIDES
DSCF0030.jpg

DSCF0038.jpg

REMOVE ABS LINE FROM BRACKET
DSCF0039.jpg

REMOVE NUT FROM TOP OF SHOCK BY HOLDING WITH ALLEN WRENCH IN CENTER AND TURNING OUTSIDE WITH BOX END WRENCH.
DSCF0041.jpg

LOWER JACK AND REMOVE COIL FROM AREA. THIS WAS NOT THAT HARD JUST PUSH DOWN ON CONTROL ARM AND SLIDE SHOCK OUT OF TOP. I WRAPPED A TIE DOWN ON BOTTOM OF COIL SPRING AND PULLED UP AND OUT. THIS IS SAFEST AS YOU DONT HAVE YOUR HEAD OR FINGERS DOWN THERE. NOTE HOW COIL CAME OUT AND WHERE IT WAS ALIGNED IN LOWER CONTROL ARM. NOTE WHICH IS TOP AND BOTTOM. TOP HAS FLATTED COIL AND BOTTOM HAS LAST COIL STILL ROUND. CUT BOTTOM COIL
DSCF0031.jpg

FLIP COIL UPSIDE DOWN
DSCF0032.jpg

SLIDE BOOT ONE COIL DOWN AND PROCEED TO CUT COILS WITH CUTOFF WHEEL
DSCF0033.jpg

DSCF0034.jpg

DSCF0035.jpg

MAKE SURE TO ALIGN END OF COIL WITH THIS SLOT WHEN INSTALLING OTHERWISE IT WILL THROW OFF RIDE HEIGHT. THEY ARE VERY EASY TO INSTALL ONCE CUT
DSCF0036.jpg

REINSTALL COIL, SHOCK, SWAYBAR, ABS LINE, CALIPER AND WHEEL. IT HELPS DO DO BOTH SIDES AT THE SAME TIME. MAKE A SET OF THESE WOODEN RAMPS FROM A 2X6 OR 2 X8 BECAUSE YOUR GOING TO NEED THEM TRUST ME

DSCF0044.jpg

FRONT IS LOWERED AND THE REAR IS UP NEXT
DSCF0045.jpg

REMOVE REAR WHEELS
DSCF0046.jpg

REMOVE LOWER SHOCK BOLT
DSCF0049.jpg

REMOVE UPPER SPINDLE MOUNT BOLT FROM UPPER CONTROL ARM. REMOVE E BRAKE CABLE RETAINER BOLT FROM LOWER CONTROL ARM
DSCF0051.jpg

THIS IS WHERE IT GOT TOUGH AND I HAD TO RENT A COIL SPRING COMPRESSOR FROM AUTOZONE BUT ONCE COMPRESSED JUST USE A TIEDOWN OR ROPE ATTACHED TO BOTTOM OF COIL AND PULL AND IT WILL COME OUT. NOTE WHICH WAY THEY ARE ALIGNED IN BOTTOM OF CONTROL ARM AND TOP/BOTTOM
DSCF0052.jpg

THIS IS THE TOP OF COIL DO NOT CUT
DSCF0053.jpg

THIS IS THE BOTTOM OF COIL WITH WIDER SPACING. CUT THIS SIDE
DSCF0054.jpg

MEASURE OUT 3/4 COIL FOR SLIGHT RAKE LOOKED TO CAR
DSCF0055.jpg

YOU SHOULD HAVE THIS LEFT OVER
DSCF0056.jpg

REINSTALL ISOS AND REINSTALL COILS, UPPER SPINDLE BOLT IN CONTROL ARM, SHOCK BOLT, E BRAKE CABLE RETAINER BOLT, AND REAR WHEELS
DSCF0057.jpg

REMOVE FROM GARAGE, TEST DRIVE AND ENJOY NEW STANCE
DSCF0058.jpg

DSCF0059.jpg

DSCF0060.jpg

FRONT RIDE HEIGHT AFTER LOWERING
DSCF0062.jpg

REAR RIDE HEIGHT AFTER LOWERING
DSCF0063.jpg

NO JOB WOULD NOT BE COMPLETE WITH OUT A WASH AND WAX.
DSCF0064.jpg

DSCF0065.jpg

DSCF0066.jpg

BEFORE
DSCF00202.jpg

AFTER
DSCF0064.jpg

BEFORE
DSCF0021.jpg

AFTER
DSCF0065.jpg

ALWAYS REMEMBER:nono:
a75e17b3199c1db375b7829e37dd18b2_im.gif

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
this is really a lot more complicated then it needs to be. All you need to do to get the spring out is disconnect the 2 bolts holding the brake disc housing to the A arm and get a pole with some leverage and push down as hard as possible and it will break the A arm free from the wheel housing, then you just push down the a arm (its a spring basically, so if you let go it will shoot back up) and remove the spring. So no need to take out the struts etc. I did it and it took me no less than 10 mins for each one.

Last edited:

romi

Established Member
Great write up, car looks great:beer: did mine 2 weeks ago and loving it.:banana::banana:

stang8762

Established Member
I just used this method yesterday and it worked out great, real easy ..The only thing is on the rear if you unbolt the upper control arm cam bolt make sure you mark it so your alignment wont be off ..Thanx again excellent write up.

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
Nice write up but you don't have to unbolt the upper control arms. This is how I removed the rear springs.

Rear Springs:
1. Jack car up put on jack stands place jack under the IRS frame for support I used two jacks because I did not drop the catback one is a sissor jack from any car.
2. Remove the brackets that hold the tailpipes up ( located by the rear bumper cut outs they are 10 mm. The Exhaust is bracketed to the IRS so it will lower with the IRS.
3. Remove the rear IRS bolts 18mm located behind the tire.
4. Remove the lower shock bolt 18mm.
5. The Sissor jack fits between the exhaust and supports the IRS. Slowly lower the jack if the IRS does not drop under its own weight then use a pry bar and gently pry the bushings loose. Be careful the IRS does not drop all at once lower it slowly.
6. The IRS will drop down and the springs will fall out lower just enough to remove the springs the exhaust has some pressure on it but I found it not to be enough to bend any pipes or damage them but I would not lower it any further than is necessary. If this makes you uncomfortable then just remove the Catback I really hate this being on my back so I elected not to do it I feel it is a PITA and not necessary.
7. Reverse the above instructions

dezertcobra

Established Member
UPDATE GUYS. I got really sick of scraping and found a stock set of used uncut coils at the mustang shop in rancho so I put it back to stock. The car ended up settling about 1.75 inches lower and it was just too low. With three people it would rub in the rear if you hit a bump on the freeway. Maybe if I had my stock width rear wheels on it wouldn't but it still scraped over every speed bump. I did change the way i did the rear installation like BIGV did and it was a little easier - didnt have to struggle with the springs as much. It took me by myself about 4 hours to put it back to stock. I got to say that looking at the car now just isn't the same but its a lot more functional. I love the lowered look just not the ride.
SALEENFIEND - my rear caps dont fit in those wheels-there too big:shrug:
STANG8762- Your right definately mark the cam bolts for alignment- my sharpie marks where still there today so i just aligned them up.

Users who are viewing this thread