How to lower your clutch pedal for quicker, firmer, shifts and performance driving.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
There are a few problems that can occur when you lower your clutch pedal and use the OEM cable.

This is a rundown of the parts you will need, and the changes in the install you will need to make to make it all work.

Parts List:
MM clutch pedal height adjustment kit $20

Firewall adjuster of your choice - You will want one that uses at least 2 screws to bolt to the firewall. I recommend Fiore, but I used a UPR Extreme Double lock, which works, but is a pain to install. $30-$50

Steeda quick release quadrant (these used to be red like the one pictured but are now silver and NOT anodized.) This is absolutely necessary. Use other quadrants at your own risk, as they may not work. $35

LDC clutch free play correction kit. $15

Plastic washers in varying thicknesses with 1\2 ID (OD doesn’t matter). I went to Lowe's for these. $3-$5

If you already have an aftermarket quadrant and adjuster installed and are just trying to lower the pedal, you will also need a NEW OEM clutch cable unless you miraculously saved the parts.

Quadrant install -

Remove all the OEM plastic crap as in the instructions. Once that is removed you will need to shim the back of the quadrant with plastic washers as shown in these pictures. If you do not do this the quadrant will bind on the rear shaft and cause noise and extra wear. You will need to trim some of the washers in a D shape, and\or make their OD smaller to get them to fit flat. A dremel or bench grinder will work, or you can trim them with some snips. As you can see I used a combination of spacers to get the quadrant fit so it rotates smoothly and does not float on the rear shaft.

The aluminum spacer and thin plastic washer in the foreground come with the quadrant. If you are unsure as to what plastic spacers to get, you can use the one in the Steeda quadrant for reference.

000_0090.jpg

MM pedal height adjustment kit installs normally. I adjusted the clutch pedal 1\8 inch or so above the brake pedal.

Firewall adjuster installs normally.

Clutch cable modification -

This is critical to get this to work correctly. If you modify the cable per the instructions, the valve cover can hit the cable and firewall adjuster and throw off your clutch adjustment under high loads. Here is a picture of WRONG way.

000_0091.jpg

That was my OLD setup, and OLD firewall adjuster. It was very inconsistent because the valve cover would hit the cable and the adjuster, loosening the adjuster from the firewall, and hitting the cable, not allowing me to get into 3rd gear under hard acceleration.

Here is the modification to get it to work CORRECTLY.
clutch011.jpg

clutch010.jpg

Here is how to do it.

Take a small, flathead screwdriver and gently start prying up the barbs on the locking washer. Once you do 4 or 5 is should come off easily. Do this carefully, as you don't want to break the center flange on the cable. Remove the large metal washer behind the lock washer.

Now you have to take a dremel or shears and cut off the plastic pins. Be careful as this will be the surface that touches the firewall adjuster so you want to keep the surface flat after you remove the pins. I used a cutoff wheel on a dremel for this.

Once you are done, with the clutch cable sitting squarely against the firewall adjuster, you may want to modify the clutch cable for more room around the valve cover by putting a flat spotting the round flange. I have not yet done this in the pictures.

From here you can continue as normal, and install the LDC free play correction kit.

You can button everything up and this is what you get.
000_0085.jpg

Adjustment - You will now have very little free play. I have maybe 1\4 inch of free travel before I can feel tension. The clutch starts to grab about an inch off the floor. It is critical that the clutch is adjusted properly. The total clutch travel is now about 50% of stock, so you have very little room for error. If it is too loose, you won't be able to get into gears when the clutch gets hot, and if it is too tight, you will kill the TOB and the clutch could start slipping with you foot off the pedal.

Ashley

Last edited:

YoungJim

Established Member
Nice! Consider this one bookmarked, it'll give me a day's work over the winter. :beer:

Charles236

Established Member
I lowered my clutch pedal yesterday. I used a Steeda pedal height adjuster (I had one on hand), but the MM one would be less work to install. The Steeda adjuster rotates the shaft and quadrant, which causes problems with the cruise control release switch. I got around this by relocating the release switch to work with the revised pedal position, but this would not have been necessary with the MM adjuster.

Last edited by a moderator:

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
I just had this done by the shop that installed my clutch. So far, so good. My Steeda Quick Release quandrant is not Red, it is silver, but it was labeled as a quick release version.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
427Windsorman said:
I just had this done by the shop that installed my clutch. So far, so good. My Steeda Quick Release quandrant is not Red, it is silver, but it was labeled as a quick release version.

Yes, They are no longer red anodized, but are the same quadrant.

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
Yes, They are no longer red anodized, but are the same quadrant.

Thanks for doing this write up. It helped my installer get it all set up quckly, and correctly. :beer:

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
So, are you saying if I have all Fiore components and have the clutch cable installed on the adjuster like in your "OLD" set up, I will not benefit from the pedal adjuster?

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
427Windsorman said:
Thanks for doing this write up. It helped my installer get it all set up quckly, and correctly. :beer:

No problem. This mod made the car so much easier and more fun to drive. I hope you find the same result.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
utfan98 said:
So, are you saying if I have all Fiore components and have the clutch cable installed on the adjuster like in your "OLD" set up, I will not benefit from the pedal adjuster?

You will benefit, but you MAY not have enough pedal travel to prevent clutch wear with a stock ramp Fiore quadrant. With all the parts I listed, it should work with every clutch, on every car. The quick release quadrant is key to getting back as much pedal travel as possible to prevent component wear.

Also, having the firewall adjuster contacting the valve cover is bad news. It could result in inconsistencies when shifting, and damage to the adjuster or firewall.

A new cable is only $40 shipped from Steve@Tousley, or you can make a spacer to take up the extra slack.

Ashley

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
No problem. This mod mad the car so much easier and more fun to drive. I hope you find the same result.

Yes, it is more fun, but seems almost too easy to shift now, lol. The clutch engages down low, and smooth as butter. This mod, and the MGW shifter have made shifting pure pleasure :)

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
You will benefit, but you MAY not have enough pedal travel to prevent clutch wear with a stock ramp Fiore quadrant. With all the parts I listed, it should work with every clutch, on every car. The quick release quadrant is key to getting back as much pedal travel as possible to prevent component wear.

Also, having the firewall adjuster contacting the valve cover is bad news. It could result in inconsistencies when shifting, and damage to the adjuster or firewall.

A new cable is only $40 shipped from Steve@Tousley, or you can make a spacer to take up the extra slack.

Ashley

Thanks, I just installed the FWA and quad, I noticed the clutch pedal is way too high. I would like to get it a tad bit higher or the same height has the brake pedal.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
utfan98 said:
Thanks, I just installed the FWA and quad, I noticed the clutch pedal is way too high. I would like to get it a tad bit higher or the same height has the brake pedal.

Get the MM height adjuster. you may have to raise the pedal a bit more than I did to get the travel you need but it will be lower than stock.

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
"Once you are done, with the clutch cable sitting squarely against the firewall adjuster, you may want to modify the clutch cable for more room around the valve cover by putting a flat spotting the round flange. I have not yet done this in the pictures".

Do you have a pic of this modification?

Users who are viewing this thread