how to install focus fuel pumps

tonythetiger

Established Member
this is compliments of juiced46

It would help to have a second set of hands to help.

To drop the tank.

There are 2 straps holding it on. I believe they are 15mm or 13mm i cant remember off the top of my head. You have to unbolt those and the tank will come down, the fill neck is going to want to hold the tank up on one end. i suggest using a jack to lower it down. The fuel line coming off the tank going to the fuel filter, you need a special fuel line tool to release it. You can disconnect it @ the filter that is the easiest way.

On the passenger side of the tank where there fill neck comes down in the fender there is an 8mm bolt that has to be removed, it holds a small bracket to the tank and the filler. There is also another vacuum line with a small black clip (kinda triangle shaped) in that area that has to be popped out and then you can pull that line off.

To the driver side. There is a vacuum line with a yellow clip holding that on. You need to pop that clip off and pull that vacuum line off. There will be another line right next to it which is just a rubber hose which gets pulled off as well.

The last line you need to disconnect is on the backside above the gas tank kind of near the rear end. It has a white end on it, you just squeeze it and that comes apart. Some of these lines are still attached to the tank that will all come down when you drop the tank.

There is a wiring harness right in front of the tank looking @ it form the back of the car closest to the rear bumper that has to be unplugged.

Now you can lower the tank down. The driver side is going to want to fall while the passenger side wants to stay up because the filler is sticking in it. This is where 2 hands helps. While lowering it have one person push on the tank towards the driver side while pulling the filler out and lowering it.

Once the tank is out you can then remove the bolts that hold the cover for the pumps off of the tank. I believe there are 8 8mm bolts. Remove those. Now you can remove the pumps and the brackets they are clamped to.

remove the pumps and unplugs the harnesses from each. Remove the fuel line that is slipped onto the pump, you will reuse that for the focus pumps.

now onto the wiring the focus pumps.

The harness that clips into the 03 Pumps is different from the Focus. So you have to cut off each harness on the 03 harness that goes to the pump there are 1 for each pump. Now on your focus pump setup cut off that same harness. Cut it far up so you have some wire to work with.

Now just wire those 2 wires into the 2 wires that were cut from the 03 Harness. Solder them and use heat shrink wrap. DO NOT USE ELECTRICAL TAPE. Gasoline will eat away electrical tape.
(when putting fuel line back on use injector clamps):rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread