"How To:" Install Dzus Fasteners for the Radiator Shroud

Status
Not open for further replies.

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
For as long as I have owned my truck the OEM plastic retainers that secure the radiator have bothered me. Aesthetically they are cheap and often they are a headache to remove. I decided that Dzus fasteners (quarter-turn fasteners) were ideal for the task. For anyone unfamiliar with Dzus fasteners, they are used to quickly and easily fasten/release body panels, etc. and are common (but not limited) to use on aircraft, competition motorcycles and race cars. Install of the Dzus fastners is quite simple and can be done in only a couple of hours depending on your work pace and how meticulous you are. You will need:

TOOLS:

- Drill
- 1/2" drill bit
- 1/8" drill bit
- Flat head screw driver
- Rivet gun
- Exacto knife (required only if modifying the OEM retainers to be used with the Dzus fasteners)

SUPPLIES:

- .550" oval/button head Dzus fastners * The number of fasteners needed may vary depending on use of e-fans. My application required six Dzus fasteners. .500" Dzus fasteners may also be used but shims will not be necessary. The Dzus fasteners can be purchased in either aluminum or steel. *
- .325" fastener springs (1 3/8" length)
- (12) 1/8" x 1/2" rivets
- (12) 1/8" rivet washers
- Shims (only required if using .550" body Dzus fasteners) * I used 3/8" x 1 1/4" x 1/16" rubber washers to act as shims. 3/8" x 7/8" x 1/16" rubber washers or 1 x 13/32" x 1/16" nylon washers may also be used. *
- OEM retainers (* OPTIONAL * - require modification in order to slip over the Dzus fasteners)

P4230446.jpg

INSTALL:

1) Remove the radiator shroud. Depending on mods the IC reservoir may need to be removed as well.

2) Using the 1/2" bit re-drill the existing holes for the OEM retainers.
P4230444.jpg

3) Position the spring in order to determine where the mounting holes will be drilled. Mark the spots and drill using the 1/8" bit.

4) Rivet the spring into place from the bottom-side of the mounitng surface. Be sure to place a rivet washer onto the shaft of the rivet before tightening the rivet.
P4230447.jpg

Repeat steps 1-4 for the remaining fasteners. The two upper holes on the radiator shroud will need to be drilled using the 1/2" bit in order to allow the Dzus fastener to pass through easily.

5) Re-install the radiator shroud.

6) Secure using the new Dzus fasteners.

If I have forgot any information I will edit the thread as necessary.

After Pics:

P4240455.jpg

* Picture using the modified OEM retainer *
P4260479.jpg

P4240456.jpg

P4240464.jpg

P4240454.jpg

* Picture using the modified OEM retainer *
P4260482.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread