HOW TO : Install a backup camera

Bert400

Established Member
Only found one write up on how to install a back up camera on the cobras and it seemed to get bashed quite a bit. People act like its a big deal to have one. I dont see the big deal, almost all new vehicles come with them now and I personally like them to glance at when backing up. It was a cheap add and im happy with how it turned out. I already had a double din unit (pioneer VHX1600) so the camera and wiring was all I needed.

I bought this camera off Wal-Mart's website I believe and it sold for around 20 bucks. The camera is a Pyle PLCM12. It included the camera, 17ft video cable, and a power cable.

First I located the reverse light positive+ wire in the passenger side kick panel. It is a black/pink wire. To check for it, turn the key on and use a volt meter on the plug, when the car is put into reverse your volt meter should show around 12v give or take. This is the wire you want to use. My head unit had a wire coming out of it that was for a backup camera (trigger the unit to go to the camera screen when put into reverse). I spliced that wire to the factory black and pink wire in the pass. side kick panel.

Next plug in the supplied yellow video cable into the back of the head unit (mime was a "video in camera" plug) and run the cord down the passenger side kick panel and through the passenger side door sill and back into the trunk. This cable will send the video from the camera to the head unit.

Next, with this camera, it comes with a supplied power cable. You need to get power to the camera when the car is put into reverse. I went ahead and found the same black/pink wire back at the tail light and spliced in to it for the camera 12v source. Then fine a good spot to ground and connect the black wire from the camera to ground the camera.

This is all that is needed to get the camera working. Next is how to mount it.

I wanted it to be as hidden as possible so I used the existing trunk key hole. For starters you will need to get rid of the key mechanism.

Removing the key mechanism is pretty simple. First there will be a cable that runs from the key mechanism to the latch. It is a black plastic piece and pops off pretty easy. Next you will need to drill out the one rivet holding the lock in place. Once it is drilled out the lock should fall into your lap.

Next remove the rubber seal on the trunk key hole and you can then slide the new camera in the hole. I was unsure on how the fit was going to be. The camera kit comes with a 18.5mm hole saw but I didn't need to use it. The hole is the perfect size and the camera slides in very snug and snaps into place with some metal clips that come on the camera. The fitment was perfect. Just make sure you have the head unit on when you push the camera in to make sure it is upright and turned how you want it.

Overall it was a pretty easy install and works great! Haven't used the camera at night yet but I'm sure it will work fine. Now, this camera is nothing I NEEDED, but for only 20 bucks it makes for a nice aid when backing up. I have also thought of wiring the camera to a 12v wire that comes on when the key is on. So driving down the highway I could switch to the camera and see behind me. Kinda overkill but could be nice a time or two.

20180414_143423.jpg
20180414_133348.jpg
20180413_165653.jpg
20180414_142511.jpg
20180414_140950.jpg
20180414_130744.jpg
20180414_133224.jpg
20180414_133428.jpg
20180414_141418.jpg
20180414_142720.jpg
20180414_142756.jpg
C360_2018-04-14-15-13-29-261.jpg

Sent from my thumbs using the svtperformance.com mobile app

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
That is exactly what I tried to do with my GT500 a few years ago (trunk lock cam) but the 2 cameras I bought to try it were a hair too big.

I’m going to have to run down one of these cams now. Great job.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Great job with the install, and thanks for posting your how-to. I could never live without a back-up camera.

Bert400

Established Member
It's a overkill but I like it and it's nice for my wife to use when backing It into the garage. Our other vehicles have one so it's a habit to look on the dash at the screen when backing up.

Sent from my thumbs using the svtperformance.com mobile app

blwn03sonic

venomous motorsports
Established Member
Thanks for the write up. Just did this tonight. Hardest part was adjusting the camera. Each little movement was too much

b0f0ee5ac053ea7919fc2be0313b3711.jpg
6f3a4076f91058880ae2d3149802f3a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GodStang

Established Member
Great job!! I just did this to my 2010 Explorer but just did front and rear license plate mounts.

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
Great Write up!! Its good to know we can access the reverse wire too from inside the passenger compartment!

I kind of like the Nostalgic feeling.... (almost even now days of feeling it being vintage) with out one when I drive my cobra.

If it was my daily I would do this for sure though!

Thanks and Awesome!

JC-RH

Established Member
I already have a Pioneer DD installed and I just received the actual camera in the mail.

i need to run a cable from the emergency pull handle in the trunk lid to under the rear seat. So if the latch actuator fails, I can easily get in there until I can get things fixed. I have a vert.

Also, how easy is this to put back to stock? Even though I plan to drill the lock cylinder rivets out, can I somehow reboot the original lock cylinder back into place?

Thanks!

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Am I correct in assuming the lines on the screen are purely for depth perception and don't move with steering?

Great install and writeup

"Nothing makes me question ALL of my life decisions like SVTP."

Posts and likes are not mine.

JC-RH

Established Member
Finally got around to installing mine this week. I added a rubber grommet to bring the camera out a bit further. Doing so got me a full view instead of the tunnel vision effect.

Here is my write-up:

Users who are viewing this thread