HOW TO: IMRC Delete without welding

boost88

Established Member
The purpose of this is to show you how to make your own IMRC delete plates without a tig welder.

Supplies:
Phillips Screw Driver(1/4 hex impact with Philips bit preferred)
7mm socket and ratchet
Flat head screw driver
High temp epoxy(high temp is optional)
Syringe to dispense epoxy(optional if you like less mess)
Tape(i used duct tape)
Brake Cleaner
Scotch brite pads
Old tooth brush

1: Remove intake manifold and IMRC plates from the car

2: Using the phillips driver remove all of the butterfly plates from the IMRC rods. They're on there very tight which is why I recommend the hex impact to jar them loose. Heat works also
butterfly screws in2.jpg

butterflyout.jpg

3: Once the butterfly plates are off remove the 7mm screws on the end of the plates and pull the rod out. Might take some wiggling but it comes out fairly easy.
rodbolts.jpg

rodremoval.jpg

4(optional): Take the flathead screw driver and pry out the rod retaining clips. You can leave them in there if you want but I chose to take them out. You will now be left with bare IMRC plates.

5(optional): remove the bearings at each end with a hammer and punch or screwdriver. I did not do this. epoxy will stick just fine.

6: CLEAN.... CLEAN....CLEAN.............. (mine went in a high temp washer a day later so i could test the epoxy bonding so I didn't clean mine thoroughly)

7: Tape off the holes on the sides of the plate where you removed the rod retainers and on the bottom side of the plate as well.
tapedholes.jpg

8: Mix your epoxy and fill each retainer hole enough to cover the holes where the rod was. All the way to the top isn't necessary and if you over fill it you can have issues remounting them. Using a syringe makes this a pretty mess free process but it isn't necessary. A tip when removing the tape is to have a razor blade to slice the still jelly like epoxy flat and smooth.

epoxyfilled.jpg

epoxyfilled2.jpg

9: Now its time to epoxy the ends. Place the tape just like you did on the other holes and fill from the outside. I recommend standing them up on end like i did in a trash can to fill them. Do one side/ flip over and repeat.
bearing end.jpg

10: You're all done!
IMRCfinal.jpg

11: This is an extra craftsmanship tip for those who like to take a little pride. Use the left over epoxy and fill the holes from the inside on the ends as well. Once it hardens you can sand it down and have a nice smooth plugged looking finish you'll never see and forget is there a week from now.
craftsmanship.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread