How to help an acquaintance who's home burnt down

bumplime

Established Member
I received an email today from my sons preschool teacher whom is also a personal friend, that one of the families who attend the preschool had a fire at their house that burnt it to the point it's a complete loss. These people were renters with no insurance...don't need to hear about how dumb this is. they're on a one person income from Tmobile, so not exactly well to do.

What i am trying to figure out is how much to help. I only know them from passing and the occasional hello. Ive seen the pictures and they lost everything they had. Its just the parents and one 5yr old boy.
By no means do I feel obligated to help but I want to. I'm just not sure how much I should. I'm not wealthy to the point of no worries about money but I am blessed and I can afford to help.
I suggested to my wife that we maybe help get them into a new place. Just paying the deposit and maybe the first months rent. I've had thoughts of going and getting gift cards so they can shop for themselves as I've had thoughts of just going shopping and buying for them.
Any suggestions. Has anyone here had personal experience suffering a loss due to a fire? What do you think your family needed most?

I am not asking anyone here for donations!! Only suggestions.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Post up on Craigslist.

It wouldn't be worth the shipping costs to send some clothing their way, but if it was someone local, I could find a couple things in my closet I don't really need/wear.

I was thinking of reddit. You're city looks damn small via google and salem doesn't have much on reddit. You could try posting here: Portland, Oregon - The Subreddit I know that would be a drive for you, but if multiple people have some items, one trip would be worth it.

Last edited:

TorchMach

Established Member
I would say one of those VISA gift cards they can use anywhere. However if you don't want to just "hand" them money. I would say maybe a hotel for two weeks or something? If you want to do the deposit thing I'm sure that will help out too..

Your a good man for doing this, don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
A hotel is a great idea. It allows them to focus on getting their life together while having somewhere to stay for a bit however a hotel for 2 weeks @ 70 a night is almost $1000 and that is a months rent in some places.

BlackOutUT

Established Member
I received an email today from my sons preschool teacher whom is also a personal friend, that one of the families who attend the preschool had a fire at their house that burnt it to the point it's a complete loss. These people were renters with no insurance...don't need to hear about how dumb this is. they're on a one person income from Tmobile, so not exactly well to do.

What i am trying to figure out is how much to help. I only know them from passing and the occasional hello. Ive seen the pictures and they lost everything they had. Its just the parents and one 5yr old boy.
By no means do I feel obligated to help but I want to. I'm just not sure how much I should. I'm not wealthy to the point of no worries about money but I am blessed and I can afford to help.
I suggested to my wife that we maybe help get them into a new place. Just paying the deposit and maybe the first months rent. I've had thoughts of going and getting gift cards so they can shop for themselves as I've had thoughts of just going shopping and buying for them.
Any suggestions. Has anyone here had personal experience suffering a loss due to a fire? What do you think your family needed most?

I am not asking anyone here for donations!! Only suggestions.

My first thought would be to organize a fundraiser of some sort? Being this is SVTP a car show comes to mind. I'm sure if you got the word out and others realized it was for a good cause, you would have a great turnout. Also something at the school might work.

I also think helping them get into a place would be a good idea. Paying the deposit and 1st months rent.

Honestly anything you give them or help them out with I'm sure they will greatly appreciate it.

I would say one of those VISA gift cards they can use anywhere. However if you don't want to just "hand" them money. I would say maybe a hotel for two weeks or something? If you want to do the deposit thing I'm sure that will help out too..

x2 :beer:

BlackOutUT

Established Member
A hotel is a great idea. It allows them to focus on getting their life together while having somewhere to stay for a bit however a hotel for 2 weeks @ 70 a night is almost $1000 and that is a months rent in some places.

There are hotels (I think they're actually called something else) that specialize in these types of situations. Fire, moving to knew home but time in the middle, flood, you name it. They usually rent by the week. Might be worth checking out.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
There are hotels (I think they're actually called something else) that specialize in these types of situations. Fire, moving to knew home but time in the middle, flood, you name it. They usually rent by the week. Might be worth checking out.

"Extended stay" is the term. Google doesn't show any in his small town.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Another thought is to organize a clothing drive for them either in your neighborhood, or theirs. Doing it in their neighborhood might cause neighbors who know the family personally to step out and help in other ways. You could be the initiator. Find out what sizes are needed, solicit a few volunteers, and start knocking on doors. I know there are non-profit organizations that help provide clothing for situations like this, but getting neighborhood families involved makes it a lot more personal and would probably mean more to all parties. Other than that, they are probably already talking to the Red Cross for temporary housing assistance. Your offer to pay their first month's rent and deposit is generous and would be greatly appreciated by them. Would be nice if donations were also solicited from neighbors (you'll need to provide some evidence of what you're doing and where the money is going for donors to feel comfortable to give) as that would go even further to help them get back to "normal" living as soon as possible.

Just some thoughts. Local people helping local people is where it's at IMO. Showing beyond words that they care.

verbal

Established Member
I had an apartment fire about five years ago that was a total loss. Luckily the apartment management company relocated people to their other properties and I had renters insurance.

First thing that came to mind of basic needs was clothing and items to get started on a new apartment. I would say your best bet is gift cards to stores like Target and Bed, Bath, and Beyond. It is an incredibly stressful situation to be dealing with the loss while trying to find a new place to live and manage daily life. I am sure they will really appreciate anything you can offer whether it is money or time to help them with something.

In terms of raising money, you should probably start something up at the school for other families to get involved.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member

This!! I don't really have any other suggestions beside whats already been suggested. If something like this ever happens to me (although I have insurance) I can only hope there are people like you around me :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread