how to get 8k home tax credit?

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
ok so I recently closed on my 1st house and I was curious if anyone has claimed their tax credit and how? I googled it a lot and downloaded the 5405 form but it doesnt say where to mail it to and if thats the only form I need to fill out or what.:shrug:

so if anyone has doen this I would appriciate some help. just dont feel like going to h&r block or whoever and spending $200+ just to have 2 pieces of paper filled out. :bs:

p.s. yes I did a search here to.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I was told you get mailed something from the IRS by my mortgage broker. Not sure how much I trust that though, since our realtor told us it would be available at closing. I haven't really looked into it yet, we closed last Tuesday.

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
I was told you get mailed something from the IRS by my mortgage broker. Not sure how much I trust that though, since our realtor told us it would be available at closing. I haven't really looked into it yet, we closed last Tuesday.

see mine said I had to go online and get the forms or go to my tax office. well I did my own taxes using turbo tax last year so I dont have a tax office.

IH8GM

Not so New SVT Poster
Established Member
i think the 540s is just to figure out how much yu are getting back, since its up to $8000. all you would need to do is apply it to your 1040 when you do your taxes. the line number is high 60's low 70's. thats it.
thats assuming you eligible to claim the tax credit make under $70k single $140k married.

talk to your cpa /tax person to be sure , you can fill out the papers yourself.

Last edited:

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
It's just a different form you have to file with. I got mine from my mortgage lender at tax time this past year. It was super easy...

Koncept

Established Member
All you have to do, is file an amended 1040. I took my closing papers to my tax lady and she filed my stuff and about 8 weeks later my 8k was in my mailbox. You'll even earn a small amount of interest off it as well. The actual amount of the check was $8055.42 I believe.

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
crud guess I am going to have to find a tax place. was hoping someone did it themselves at home and just mailed it in.

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
I did it myself at home and am mailing it in tomorrow. I will get you the address. It was very simple and I was right on the edge of not getting it.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I did it myself at home and am mailing it in tomorrow. I will get you the address. It was very simple and I was right on the edge of not getting it.

I'd like that info too...So...you don't have to wait till next year's tax return? That's what the closing lady told me. I've gotten so many conflicting stories I don't know what's up with this, all I know is my realtor sucks and I want my free money lol

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
I'd like that info too...So...you don't have to wait till next year's tax return? That's what the closing lady told me. I've gotten so many conflicting stories I don't know what's up with this, all I know is my realtor sucks and I want my free money lol

That is correct Kat. My father is a loan officer and I filled out this form the day I closed on my loan. Due to my lethargy however, I never sent it in. Many of his other customers have already received theirs. You will need your 2008 tax return form to look up your gross taxable income I believe. You fill it out and send it in.

I had a superb realtor, got in incredible interest rate and the entire process was smooth as butter.

Edit: It is the 5405 and you can send it in as soon as it's filled out.

Last edited:

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Like others have said, its just a simple form to ammend your 2008 taxes that you mail in. If you used Turbo Tax they should have an option to ammend the taxes and print it off. I've used Tax Slayer for the last couple of years and just went back and printed the form off their site and ammended my 08 return. Had the check by the end of the month.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I had a superb realtor, got in incredible interest rate and the entire process was smooth as butter.

Yep, I had all that except the realtor. Went with a highly regarded builder and all their preferred contacts (lender, insurance, etc), couldn't complain about the process, with the exception of our retarded realtor feeding us bogus info and earning way more than I even want to think about.

I filed with H&R Block's free service, I'll see what I have to do to amend that.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Last edited:

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
Kat you really couldn't wait for me to get the central address could you.......

I'd call you an over achiever, except I probably would have done the same thing.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Kat you really couldn't wait for me to get the central address could you.......

I'd call you an over achiever, except I probably would have done the same thing.

Having to wait for the refund was one of Will's excuses for making me wait even longer to get that all-important ring. I'm all about removing excuses.

We have a two degrees, a house, five cars, three cats, and I ordered curtains this morning. He's running out of things to make me wait on!

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
Having to wait for the refund was one of Will's excuses for making me wait even longer to get that all-important ring. I'm all about removing excuses.

We have a two degrees, a house, five cars, three cats, and I ordered curtains this morning. He's running out of things to make me wait on!

You are still doing better than I am. House, degree, 2 cars (I've already hung curtains) and a Tacori in my dresser. That's right...... in the dresser

Sapperstang

Established Member
We just did it when we filed our taxes back in Jan. We did the taxes online and filled out something there.

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread