How To: Front Bump stops

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZ ERIK

22's & a Whipple 4 shizzl
Established Member
Well guys it really can't get any easier than this to eliminate the pogo-stick ride from lowering your L:

Tools required:
1. Jack (any jack really, I used my stock bottle jack)
2. Ratchet
3. mid-well 13mm socket (I say mid well because a standard is too short and a deep well is too long) I used a 13mm 1/4 inch drive socket with a 1/4 to 3/8th adapter, perfect length.
4. 7.5 minutes of your time

Parts: Energy Suspension 'dot' bump stops (or the likes there of) I used:
Prothane Motion Control (picked up at the local 4x4 shop) #19-1316
1 1/16th tall by 2 inches round

Energy Suspension part #9.9121 or 9.9116
DSCF1783_Custom.sized.jpg

1. Turn your wheels all the way to one side
2. Jack up your truck a bit (does not need the tire off the ground just up enough to get the ratchet in and out)
DSCF1786_Custom.sized.jpg

3. Remove 13mm bolt in the bottom of the bump stop (Ignore the brake line braket being removed it doesn't have to come off)
4. Catch the bump stop and remove it
5. Pull the new one out of the package and screw it directly in to the same bolt hole. No nut required but if you wanted it extra tight you culd use Channel locks to get it that extra bit
DSCF1787_Custom.sized.jpg

DSCF1788_Custom.sized.jpg

6. Lower the truck and remove tools
7. Start the truck (unless you really want to work your arms tonight) turn the wheels all the way the other way
8. Again jack the truck up a bit
9. Remove the old bump stop
10. Screw in new one
11. Remove tools and lower truck
12. Take it for a quick test drive just to feel good about the 7.5 minutes you spent 'modding it'
13. Crack open a cold one and let your tailbone thank you.

This is the before shot with my stock bumpstop and Eibach springs. Note the spring really wasn't doing anything, it rode on the bump stop.
DSCF1785_Custom.sized.jpg

This is the after shot.
DSCF1791_Custom.sized.jpg

The difference in the bump stops:
DSCF1790_Custom.sized.jpg

The brown part is how much of the bump stop was against the a-arm from about 75 miles of driving.

To say it rides 100 times nicer is an understatement. Enjoy and look for the rear write up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread