How to fill / burp coolant with ON3 bypass hose kit?

01vert

Established Member
Q Going procharger and I have an ON3 coolant crossover kit. I have not figured out how to fill the system and to burp the system as there is no crossover fitting to burp it.

Any real life experience would be appreciated?

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Good question, I was looking at that kit if I couldn’t figure out my o-ring problems on the stock crossover, I got my issues figured out. Does it stay low enough to burp into the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Pick up one of those vacuum filler kits. Makes it totally painless.

Last edited:

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
I had to look at it, and it is not an ideal setup for a fill/deaeration setup. You need a way to vent the air from the top of the engine while you fill. You might be able to achieve that a few ways- like undoing the braided lines until the coolant is up that high.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Put the front of the car up on Jack stands, and burp at the reservoir. Should be the highest point.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
Put the front of the car up on Jack stands, and burp at the reservoir. Should be the highest point.

Probably wouldn't work that well- believe me I've tried. It may be physically the highest point, but it's also just connected to the lowest point, and there's little to no flow through it. The exception being the vent line from the radiator. If you could get the nose high enough for that to be the highest point, it can vent the air that would move up to the radiator. But that would have to be way up in the air to be higher than the crossover.

The most critical part is getting a good initial fill. The less air there is in the system to begin with, the less important the deaeration (burping) process is, and these cooling systems are terrible for it.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I had to look at it, and it is not an ideal setup for a fill/deaeration setup. You need a way to vent the air from the top of the engine while you fill. You might be able to achieve that a few ways- like undoing the braided lines until the coolant is up that high.
If you get the vacuum set up it does all that for you. I can fill my cooling system at the reservoir and there's no air left when I'm done.

I also used it to fill my cousins S6, which is even more of a pain to fill than the Cobras.

It takes me about 10 minutes start to finish.

01vert

Established Member
Sound a like I get another tool. Any input on. Fac fill kits on amazon? They run from $45 to hundreds.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I have the On3 Kit on my Mach and have never had an issue burping. I drilled a 1/8" hole in the stat and put it as close to the top of housing as I could. I fill from the res and just top it off from there, if I remember correctly I think I just added coolant to the res once. I didnt jack up the car or anything else

Users who are viewing this thread