How to : Fabtech Steering Stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
How to : Fabtech Steering Stabilizer

Part # FTS8019 with optional boot #FTS7000BK.

Tools Required :
Jack & Jackstands
Ratchet , 21mm, 24mm, 1/2", & 9/16" Sockets, & 9/16" Wrench.
Torque Wrench
Medium Strength Thread Locker
Tape Measure

First you need to jack the truck up and make sure it is securely on jackstands. Make sure to position the front tires so they are pointing straight ahead.

Open up your kit to be sure you have all the required parts & hardware. For some reason I got an extra set of U-bolts with my kit. You can see the optional boot I purchased with my kit.

Winter07196.jpg

If you purchased a boot, now is the time to put it on. Slide it on and secure with a wire tie.

Winter07197.jpg

Locate the factory idler arm on the passenger side of the frame. Remove the two bolts with the 21mm socket. You won't be re-using these bolts.

Winter07198.jpg

Prepare the two large bolts that came with the kit for installation by applying the Blue threadlocker.

Winter07201.jpg

With the two 16mm bolts & washers, install the bracket over the idler arm to the frame. The bracket will now be positioned on top of the factory idler arm. Torque those bolts to 120 ft lbs. with the 24mm socket.

This is the bracket, I didn't take a pic of it installed until later-
Winter07195.jpg

Now attach the center link bracket to the center link using the supplied U-bolts. Leave bracket loose.

Winter07205.jpg

Now you want to locate the center point of the stabilizer's travel. Measure it Extended, Compressed, find the difference, divide by 2 and move the shock that much.

Compressed-(14.5")
Winter07202.jpg

Extended-(20.5")
Winter07203.jpg

Center-(17.5")
Winter07204.jpg

Now attach the body end of the stabilizer to the frame bracket using the provided bushings, bolt, washers, & nut. Also attach the shaft end of the stabilizer to the loose centerlink bracket. Try not to compress or extend the shock, but re-measure before you tighten everything down.

Winter07208.jpg

Now you can tighten the centerlink bracket. Torque those nut to 20ft lbs with a 1/2" socket. Now tighten the stabilizer ends with the 9/16" wrench & socket until the rubber bushings begin to swell.

Installed -
Winter07210.jpg

I had to slightly bend my transmission cooler lines to provide clearance for the stabilizer. Not much, but it needed to be done. Have someone steer the wheel all the way to the left and then all the way to the right while you check the clearances. Be sure to pay attention to the tranny lines and power steering hose.

Wheels turned all the way to the left (Fully extended)-
Winter07211.jpg

Wheels turned all the way to the right (fully compressed)-
Winter07212.jpg

All done!

I'd like to thank Ian (Pitstain) For bringing this mod to our attention, Martin (I'd WIN) for supplying the Fabtech part #'s, and of course Travis (Sid297) for giving me a place to put this how to, and find out about the idea in the first place!

:rockon:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread