How to f*ck up a Cobra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
SLP Stang I have one very important statement for you to remember next time you leave your car there....Exposed wires in a gas tank. Think about the repercusions two wires arcing in a gas tank could have and then get back to me.

Sleeper 362

Sleepy?
Established Member
Whitten said:
SLP Stang I have one very important statement for you to remember next time you leave your car there....Exposed wires in a gas tank. Think about the repercusions two wires arcing in a gas tank could have and then get back to me.
Your car has exposed wires in its gas tank. All gas tanks with internal pumps do. Current doesn't start a fire spark starts a fire. The only way it will spark is if the positive wire comes in contact with a ground source. Which it wont due to the fact pump wires are so short and as long as they are crimped they will be fine. Again not defending anybody just stating a fact in retort to a false and repetative statement.

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
Your opinion means NOTHING.

For all we know you're part of the family of the accused, trying to put in a false "good" word to try and sway the prosecution.

Screw off. :bash: :bash: :bash:

SLPstangs00 said:
I hate to make this my first post, but I also feel I should express my self.

Now racerat, Im sorry whatever that has happened with your car, happened. Whether or not who's fualt it is.

Don and the guys at modular madness have done nothing but good with us. They have stayed late, waiting for us to get parts. They give us good deals and are very nice and will help with anything we ask about. We were in the middle of doing cams in my sisters 99 gt when we ran into problems with the comp cams, luckly Don had a set of crower's there. Thats where it really started with him. He was very nice and helped us out with the cams and the install when we had questions. He tuned the car off the dyno just to get buy until he could dyno it. We didnt wait and went to Carolina Performance Racing in charlotte. they tuned the car and it made 280-290 hp on motor, and low 400 on a 150 The car ran fine. Don later told us he could get more power and he did. Dons tune put out 305/327 on a very hot day and 440/490 on the same day with the 150. Some told us he upped the timing and the car wouldnt last long, but its still running strong. You cant always believe what people say. Theres bad out ther about everyone, and thats usually what you hear first. Thats the main reasen im posting this. Not everyone will run and post when they have a good dealing with a shop, but every jackass with a computer that gets pissed at a shop, or feels he got done wrong will spread the word fast. The bottom line here is you cant listen to everyone, if you havent personally had problems with don, or the guys. You have no reasen to be talking shit. Take this how you want to. Don has done nothing but good with us.

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
Sleeper 362 said:
Your car has exposed wires in its gas tank. All gas tanks with internal pumps do. Current doesn't start a fire spark starts a fire. The only way it will spark is if the positive wire comes in contact with a ground source. Which it wont due to the fact pump wires are so short and as long as they are crimped they will be fine. Again not defending anybody just stating a fact in retort to a false and repetative statement.

If you would go back and read what I wrote you would see that I said specificly if they arc...meaning that the positive crossed current with the negative. Yes you can run electrical cables in open fuel, but that is only if submerged. If the wires are exposed and also right next to each other then you have problems especially when the wires come out of that fuel. Three components to fire/ explosion 1 a fuel source, 2 Oxygen, 3 something that acts as a catylist to start the burn..i.e. an electrical arc.

You are dead wrong if you think that the above picture of installing a fuel pump is the right way to do things. The right way is to take the time and use heat shrink to cover the exposed wires. You can't begin to tell me that those wires aren't close enough not to arc. They are and they did a half ass job installing it.

Sleeper 362

Sleepy?
Established Member
I never took a close look at those wires. They are close enough to arc. With no insulation either. I take back my above statements. When I did mine I used wire connectors but the exposed part was in the actual connector so I had no fear. I'm glad it got taken care of. Looks like someone rushed to get the job done. Why did they rush?

RixSikcobra04

I cannot believe that I've never read this thread before.

Racerat, I don't know you, but my heart goes out to ya. We have to trust other people from time to time with out cars and regretfully this is a nightmare come true. Thankfully, there are some really cool and knowledgable people here trying to protect ya with only the motivation of helpin' you out and preventing this travisty from happening to another one of us. Everything that needs to be said HAS been said so I'll just leave it at that. I pray justice is served swiftly.

rick

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
Sleeper 362 said:
I never took a close look at those wires. They are close enough to arc. With no insulation either. I take back my above statements. When I did mine I used wire connectors but the exposed part was in the actual connector so I had no fear. I'm glad it got taken care of. Looks like someone rushed to get the job done. Why did they rush?

See I figured you were a more than senseible guy. Anyone can look at that and say "wow that was not only a poor job but also a rushed one."

You are right though, if you have got conectors like what you mentioned then there is really no way for you to completely seal the wire. Further more alot of times it isn't feasable to strip all the existing wire out for new, so that is going to leave some areas where the wires will be bare.

I guess I am just to much of a perfectionist when it comes to stuff like this. I like for any area that a wire has been spliced to have a good conector, as well as shrink wrap over the top just to seal it up an make it look clean...I guess I get it from my other hobby, Salt Water Aquariums.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
But Sleeper is correct Whitten...all the factory pumps I've pulled from several manufacturers have exposed wires. It gives you the willies to see that and reinstall them that way...but if done correctly, there is no chance of shorting....I guess. But you are right Whitten...this particular case looks like a horrible and an unsafe job.

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
Hey Tracy - I saw your sweet car when I went to HPP for the first time today. Next to my DSG 'vert, Sonic Blue is pretty awesome. Hope you get that baby home in one piece in the near future. Ozzie seemed to think things were coming along. It was up on the lift both times I was there so I'm guessing theres good progress. Good luck to you.

hmwave

Established Member
Sleeper 362 said:

Possibly. But what happens when the +ve joint fatigues or is otherwise shaken loose and the tank's near empty?

Instant rocket car.

Wires should be insulated. Always. No exceptions. You know it makes sense.

Last edited:

1CobraM

Established Member
This is total horses#@t! If you paid the bill for this crappy work with a credit card, then contact your credit card company and contest it so that they get charged back. Contact a lawyer and sue their ass. It certainly sounds like they had a bad employee work on the car, but hey, they're still liable. Time to nuke 'em.

:fm:

Terry

--Doug

SLPstangs00 said:
I hate to make this my first post, but I also feel I should express my self.

Now racerat, Im sorry whatever that has happened with your car, happened. Whether or not who's fualt it is.

Don and the guys at modular madness have done nothing but good with us. They have stayed late, waiting for us to get parts. They give us good deals and are very nice and will help with anything we ask about. We were in the middle of doing cams in my sisters 99 gt when we ran into problems with the comp cams, luckly Don had a set of crower's there. Thats where it really started with him. He was very nice and helped us out with the cams and the install when we had questions. He tuned the car off the dyno just to get buy until he could dyno it. We didnt wait and went to Carolina Performance Racing in charlotte. they tuned the car and it made 280-290 hp on motor, and low 400 on a 150 The car ran fine. Don later told us he could get more power and he did. Dons tune put out 305/327 on a very hot day and 440/490 on the same day with the 150. Some told us he upped the timing and the car wouldnt last long, but its still running strong. You cant always believe what people say. Theres bad out ther about everyone, and thats usually what you hear first. Thats the main reasen im posting this. Not everyone will run and post when they have a good dealing with a shop, but every jackass with a computer that gets pissed at a shop, or feels he got done wrong will spread the word fast. The bottom line here is you cant listen to everyone, if you havent personally had problems with don, or the guys. You have no reasen to be talking shit. Take this how you want to. Don has done nothing but good with us.

The point is NOT that Modular Madness/DSE Speed & Tuning (Mooresville NC) "has done nothing but good with" you or maybe even the majority of their customers.
The point is that when Modular Madness/DSE Speed & Tuning became aware that they had a very unhappy customer, they did not take the right actions with that customer.
Next time it may be you.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
Just read 11 pages.

Wow! Being one of the original DTA victims, I can certainly understand your situation Tracey. Good luck getting things back to normal.

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
I've read this entire thread and come to the following conclusion:

Doug needs to get his butt back in the kitchen and cook me up a throttle-body. Nobody esle makes a completely driveable TB and I'm tired of waiting!!! :poke: :-D

Oh, and Tracy, I'm sorry to hear about this. I remember when we used to all post on his forum (you were a mod in fact) and seemed like a happy little family. I guess that was a while ago. :nonono:

mustangmaniac4l

Grand Poobah SVT Poster
Established Member
Man that takes bigger than BRASS F**KING B**LS to do something like that. I mean you could've at least made it look like it was functional. I would have been livid! I'm sure you were! I'd take their sorry asses to court. Then make them pay a REPUTABLE SHOP w/ COMPETENCE to fix what THEY F**KED up! Man! I'm pissed just reading all this. I hope you get it worked out. Good luck!

Last edited:

1nostycobra

Spitting Cobra Club
Established Member
Tracy I am deeply sorry for your distress...the fact that your husbands in iraq is enough but then this? I will be on the look out for these guys in the tampa area, when you know the shop name let me know, location and number...We are a very large car club in the tampa area and we will get the word out on this situation...I am customer service oriented and i feel that this treatment is absolutely awful! Keep me updated on his relo and opening of his shop,,,here is another website to post this issue since its tampas number 1 site for racing stuff www.tamparacing.com put this link on so the people down here know the truth..i wish you much luck tracy again very sorry!

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
1nostycobra said:
I will be on the look out for these guys in the tampa area, when you know the shop name let me know, location and number...We are a very large car club in the tampa area and we will get the word out on this situation.

Modular Madness
Opening Sept 1
2220 Whitfield Park Ave
Sarasota , Fla

Thanks to everyone again for the support. There are so many good people involved in our hobby! :beer:

Zero260..it's stickied for awareness and to keep others from making the same mistakes I have.

Update on the car. It's back from HPP Racing in Lewisville and running better than it ever has!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread