How to electronically dump boost with bypass/blowoff valve?

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I have an AEM wideband failsafe gauge I've been using for a few months now. It has a neat feature that lets you control a timing retard, wastegate, or anything else you can think of to protect the engine if the AFR gets outside of a safe level that's been programmed in the software.

Without a MSD two step ignition, I have no way of pulling timing. I have a Procharger, not a turbo, so there's no wastegate, much less an electronic boost controller. Without a turbo and electronic boost controller, I have no way of dumping boost using a turbo wastegate.

Does anyone know how to electronically trigger the bypass/blowoff valve to open during an alarm condition to dump boost? Are there any electronically controlled vacuum solenoids that exist?

I was thinking of using some sort of solenoid or combination of solenoids that will cut off the boost signal to the BOV and open up the signal line to the atmosphere or a stored vacuum source using check valves or something.

I could attach a "y" vacuum fitting to the blowoff valve, and use 2 solenoids. One solenoid would close, blocking off the boost signal and the other solenoid would open to the BOV vacuum reference line to the atmosphere. This would open the BOV and dump boost during an alarm condition and dump boost when the AFR exceeds the upper or lower parameters set in the software.

This is really the only way I can think of dumping boost. I was also thinking of maybe using an electric exhaust cutout, but those are kinda slow.

I've read of centri people running a small pulley and using an electronic boost controller to dump extra boost at higher RPM to have more boost at lower RPM so they can have a boost curve that's more like a PD blower or Turbo. I don't want to get an electronic boost controller for my BOV. I just want to hook up a couple simple vacuum solenoids.

Any ideas?

Homer

Wildcard

Established Member
well I read this post and the articles or the people who are talking about an electronic boost controller that is regulating their boost is due to a wastegate that they have installed into their intercooler system. Everything that you are talking about doing should be done with a wastegate and not the bov. I run this on my car—a wastegate on a Novi 2000 car.

the only other alternative I can think of if you just want it as a saftey measure is this ....

928 Motorsports - Porsche® 928 Performance Parts - Universal Adjustable Boost Limiter Valve (BLV) - Porsche® 928 World record Holder 216.63537 mph

Last edited:

coposrv

Established Member
Looks like the wastegate on the intercooler piping would benefit you in two ways. You can set it up to dump boost and you could set it up to pulley blower so boost comes in a little faster and blow off the excess. That's probably the route I would go.

CPRsm

You could use a 3 port solenoid and trigger it with your AEM. AFR goes out of wack the solenoid could dump the signal to the bov and it would open. Probably get one for 30-50 bucks

Users who are viewing this thread