HOW TO: Dodge Dakota Fogs on a SN95 Cobra

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDC2335

Established Member
Well we all know that the aftermarket fogs for the cobra are crap, and im not a huge fan of the envoy lights so i set out on a hunt for a fog light that was clear and the right size. I ended up buying 2 brand new fog lights for the 97-00 Dodge Dakota off ebay for about $70. They have the same size bulb and are alot brighter, also they are made by Eagle eyes, who makes the headlights i just bought, along with the LED taillights i have on my jeep commander. So ive had good luck with the company so far.

I knew that i wanted to use the stock bracket and just fab up a way for them to work. I had no idea it would be this easy. Here goes. I will explain how to do one side, they are both the same.

here is a side by side with brackets still attached
P1040129.jpg

P1040131.jpg

Tools/parts needed: Long piece of aluminum, black paint, 10mm socket, pliers, dremel, drill, 2 ea 3/8 bolts/nuts, and some patience.

1/2: Obviously remove factory fogs and bracket 10mm deep socket will do.

1: remove adjustment screw on the stock and new fog lights, then use a flat head to pry the housings off. here is the new fog held up to cobra bracket.
P1040135.jpg

2:drill out the bracket holes that hold the fog light on to about a 3/8" to fit the new fogs. Next bend the bracket arms to look like picture below. I used two pair of pliers, one to hold and one to bend.
P1040136.jpg

You can see in this pic that the arms are to squarish and will prevent the new light from going up and down, use a dremel to round off arms shown in photos later.
P1040137.jpg

3: I bought two left hand dakota fogs because i was under the impression that they were identical to the right, and i still dont know. either way if you buy rights instead, the making of the new adjustment piece may differ.

Find a piece of metal like the one shown in the pic below, availible from lowes etc. this one is aluminum and easier to bend than the steel. bend like shown in the pics below, if you find a longer screw, you can just bend it at a right angle, i used the stock screw, so i had to bend it up because it wouldnt reach.

After you bend and test fit, mark where you need to srill your holes. i believe i used a 3/8" or 1/4" bit. Really it depends on the bolts you use. Attach homemade adjustment piece to the stock bracket.

use the clip and adjustment screw from the stock light, but use the longer spring from the new fogs and attach like pics below.
P1040139.jpg

P1040145.jpg

P1040147.jpg

4: paint all silver parts black so they aren't noticeable from the front.

P1040148.jpg

5. drill a new adjustment hole about two inches over and slightly forward in your bumper.

P1040155.jpg

Now reattach fogs to car, aim them and your done. Yes My car is dirty...Full detail/wax tomarrow

P1040167.jpg

P1040162.jpg

Last edited:

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
props! I haven't decided what I want to do with my fogs yet, and if those envoy ones are too big or not.. but these look great too!

LDC2335

Established Member
oops, i made a discussion thread as well because i thought this one would get closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread