How to do the Envoy Fog Light Mod on you SN-95 Cobra w/ stock brackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
How to do the Envoy Fog Light Mod on you SN-95 Cobra w/ stock brackets
By: Cookieman00x of SVTPerformance.com

This write up will show you how to install the fog lights from a GMC Envoy into your sn-95 mustang, using the stock fog light brackets.

The cool part about these lights is that they completely fill the circular holes in the bumper and use the exact same bulbs as the cobra fog lights.

I did this mod because my Blue Oval Industries fog lights melted with the stock bulb and both lenses fell off.

1) Begin by getting yourself a set of fog lights from a 2002 to 2007 GMC Envoy. Its important that they come with the mounting bracket and your not just getting the light itself. I picked mine up off eBay..

They will look like this. (Note bracket on the rear of light).

1.jpg

2.jpg

2) Now its time to take out the stock fog light brackets. (I forgot to take pics of this part, if anyone has them PM me please)

Jack up the car and put it on jack stands. This will make life easier because you will actually be able to see what you’re working on. I was able to do it with just one side of the car up.

Unclip the wire on each fog light, from under the car.

Next there are two 10mm bolts that hold the fog light bracket to the bumper support. Remove them and the bracket and light will come out as one piece.

Once the brackets are out of the car, remove the fog light by loosening the adjustment screw at the bottom of the light and using a flat head screwdriver to pry the housing out.

Now, here comes the only hard part here. (This part is optional but it will make it easier to replace/ plug in your fog light without removing the bracket from the car. I tried not cutting the bracket and I couldn’t get the wire back into the fog light bulb with the bracket mounted. If you plug it in before you mount the bracket it would work fine. I just don’t want to take off the bracket to change bulbs.)

3) So, you’re going to want to cut the bottom of the bracket off right at the bottom of the circle.

100_0999.jpg

100_1004.jpg

100_1005.jpg

4) Next you want to grind the sharp edges down so you don’t slit your wrists if you try and change your fog light bulbs. (That would be embarrassing, and I would tell you I told you so.)

Now repeat steps 3 and 4 to the other fog light bracket.

100_1006.jpg

5) After they are smooth, I wiped them down with a little gas (to clean them) and sprayed them with some black rustoleum spray paint and a little clear coat. I put on two coats of black and 2 coats of clear.

100_1007.jpg

100_1009.jpg

6) Grab a beer and smell the paint fumes. This may put you in a better mood if you broke 2 hacksaw blades in the process and the passenger side bracket was a pain in the ass to get out because of intercooler piping. I prefer Yuengling Lager, but anything will do the trick.

ynglager.jpg

7) Your going to need 4 screws and 4 speed clips. This is how you are going to attach the Envoy brackets to the Cobra brackets. They look like this...

100_1000.jpg

8) Take the Envoy light and remove the pin and the pin holder from each side.
100_1015.jpg

9) Take a speed clips and put it on the inside bracket. ( The one that is a part of the light not the bracket)

100_1001.jpg

Repeat for the other side

100_1003.jpg

10) Now do steps 8 and 9 to the other light

11) Take the brackets that are now dry and using the holes already in the bracket, put the screw through the factor bracket into the speed clips you just mounted. (Like this)

100_1010.jpg

12) Tighten each side a little bit at a time. This helps to make sure the bracket bends the same amount on each side. (That will help keeping the light center)

100_1011.jpg

13) You want to make sure that the Bracket of the envoy light is level with the cobra bracket. The Envoy fog light has an adjustment screw on it. That will help up and down movement of the light once they are installed. The beauty of this, is that once the light is in the car, you can still adjust it using the exact same hole in the bumper that you used with the stock lights. Now that’s fancy…

100_1019.jpg

14) Next install the bulb in the lens and reinstall the bracket into the car. Be careful about plugging in the wires if you didn’t grind them down. After both sides are on the car, turn them on and turn the adjusting screw till the are adjusted correctly. Refer to picture under the last section to see the adjustment screw. I believe I used an 8mm to turn the screw. Also make sure you are very careful turning them so you don’t crack them.

That’s all folks; I know that you are thinking, that sounds easier than I thought it would be. Well your right, I only spent two hours from start to finish. Broke two hacksaw blades, drank two beers, got high from paint fumes but have new fog lights.

Questions and comments welcome…

100_1020.jpg

100_1021.jpg

TERMINATED97

Established Member
That is awesome man! I was going to do that a while ago but figured it was too much of a bitch. Nice work!

SLOWNED

Established Member
How well do they shine over stock? ALso................... where can i see pics of your engine bay and intercooler set up LOL

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Im waiting for the bulbs i just ordered to get in..

here is a pic of the motor.. its not done yet... but you get the idea

100_1025.jpg

100_1027.jpg

Last edited:

Blk98Slobra

Established Member
Very nice job. I'm just going to follow the original instructions with the aluminum strips. Where did you get your foglights from?

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Your car is coming together real nice Kevin... I'd like to see these lights in person. Not sure if I'm a fan or not based on the pics.

stangnut

WETAHDED FRICKIN' NOOB
Established Member
COOKIEMAN, that looks great! i'd like to try that myself. how much were the lamp fixtures? also as a side note, for some reason,i always thought you were a black dude,don't know why, not that there's anything wrong with that!!:beer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread