How to datalog af with bama/sct handheld

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
What is the purpose of data loging anyway? If you don't mind me asking

every car is different so instead of writing a generic tune that should work well with your car they can pin point tune the car. Since I have a heavy computer background, I look at it like processors. You and I both may buy XYZ processor rated at 2.3Ghz and I can overclock mine to 3.0Ghz and have it run stable but you can only overclock it to 2.8Ghz and have it run stable. Same thing with our cars. They can respond differently to different settings, so they choose a more generica good for all cars values.

It is actually a good thing and in the process of trying to get better tunes for my car besides the Bama ones i currently have, has helped make up my mind. There is a certain tuner who starts with an L who doesn't believe in data logging for bolt ons...or so the response I got back from them said. their generic tune is perfect and can't possibly need data logging.

I have chosen to go with AED soon as the money becomes available because of his persistance in data logging.

Last edited:

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
is there a way to datalog on the tuner then go inside and download the data file to the desktop?
Problem Im having is that my laptop is a MAC....and SCT software doesnt support Mac. I will have to buy windows and run it in parallel to my OSX I guess.

Last edited:

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
is there a way to datalog on the tuner then go inside and download the data file to the desktop?
Problem Im having is that my laptop is a MAC....and SCT software doesnt support Mac. I will have to buy windows and run it in parallel to my OSX I guess.

well...if you download a legit copy of windows 7(just the installer for free from microsoft which is legal)(not sure about 8), load the data logging software and do your data logging within three days...windows won't lock out on you. You have 3 days to activate windows.

I uhm...loaded a...copy....of uhm....windows 7 on my macbook and ran it. I have a legit copy on my desktop which hasn't been turned on in a few months...which i could have theoretically activated on the laptop and then reactivated on the desktop when I was finished...but that is just silly...

dannyf

Established Member
I am running windows in bootcamp on my mac. I got windows 7 from a torrent site, its not an authentic copy but I've been using it for about 6 months with no issues. U can install windows from a 4gb flash drive using bootcamp. Its a bit of a PIA but do'able.

Jsmorley81

Established Member
So I did the data log on my car. But after saving it to my laptop, for some reason it will not send. I've got a bama tune with sct. "No sympathy" you sound like your pretty legit with computers. Could you possibly tell me why it will not send.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
I am running windows in bootcamp on my mac. I got windows 7 from a torrent site, its not an authentic copy but I've been using it for about 6 months with no issues. U can install windows from a 4gb flash drive using bootcamp. Its a bit of a PIA but do'able.

that is what I did haha. Just wasn't sure if they'd care here. Though doubt anyone will. I have no intentions of keeping windows 7 on my macbook except for data logging so I have zero interest in buying $200 dollar software because SCT won't support macs.

So I did the data log on my car. But after saving it to my laptop, for some reason it will not send. I've got a bama tune with sct. "No sympathy" you sound like your pretty legit with computers. Could you possibly tell me why it will not send.

You mean when you try and send it by e-mail? I guess you could package it in a zip file if your e-mail client doesn't like the data log file extension.

Last edited:

BDFabrizio

Registered Abuser
Established Member
Not that I condone such activities, but one could download a cracked copy (.iso) of windows 7 from pirate bay and burn that to a DVD. That DVD can be used to install the OS to your computer.

svt5.4

SALLY NUTS RACING
Established Member
Do you have to have a laptop for datalogging? Can it be saved to the XCal 3 and downloaded to the desktop?

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Do you have to have a laptop for datalogging? Can it be saved to the XCal 3 and downloaded to the desktop?

gotta have a laptop. You won't be able to set anywhere near the same amount of parameters required for data logging on the device itself. Just pick up something cheap off craigslist or ebay/whatever if you don't have a laptop. Anything running windows XP and above will work.

Users who are viewing this thread