How to connect air fuel gage

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
:shrug: I need to know how to connect the sensor wires into the o2 sensor wiring harness. I know the sensors usually have a black and a white wire but I'm clueless on which wire connects to which on the Phantom Autometer gage setup. I've had these gages for months and need to get them in before I start any more mods. HELP?

crazy4ink

Extreme Ratchet Abuser
Established Member
It would be easier for you to buy the air/fuel gauge pigtail from South Florida Pulley HQ. With their pigtail, you don't have to cut your factory wires or splice into them. The pigtail is less than $45 and worth it.

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
Im thinking about it but a friend thought we would be fine to tap into the factory wiring if we sodierd [I know it's probably not spelled correctly I tried] the wires in and heat shinked the connection and used some liquid tape on it, we would be fine. He just wanted me to get some wiring directions on the o2 sensor.

crazy4ink

Extreme Ratchet Abuser
Established Member
Well, as far as directions, I can't help you. Would if I could. I just bought the pigtail to avoid problems/confusion. That and I'm in Korea right now and my truck is in Maryland.

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
Thanks, I'm trying to save the money if possible. My wife changed jobs and we have had to live off of my paycheck for 2 months til hers starts coming in again, plus I may be changing jobs in a month also so it will be a couple of slow weeks for me too. It's all for the good though, in 3 years I willbe making an extra $1100 a month over my current pay.

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
No. I have what Autometer sent with the gage but it doesn't say how or wires go to which on the o2 sensor. I can connect the lights and power wires on the gage but not the o2 wires.

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
No. I have what Autometer sent with the gage but it doesn't say how or which wires go to which on the o2 sensor. I can connect the lights and power wires on the gage but not the o2 wires.

compton23

Banned
connect the violet to the signal wire. connect it to the wire harness the o2 sensor.there are three wires on the plug one is a, heater wire. two is b,heater ground wire.three is c, signal wire and thats the one you want to tap into . the letters a,b,c are on the plug

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
THANK YOU! You have just saved me $45.00 on having to buy the pigtail. I'm sure it is the better way to go but my buds are 5 star certified on Dodge /Chrysler stuff. They just didn't know the wiring schematic on this new of a truck and didn't want to wire on the truck without knowing what they were doing. We work on each others vehicles together but only if we know what we're doing. They have assured me it shouldn't cause any problems later on. Thanks to you're help, I should have this on next weekend if not sooner.

RUNVS?

Established Member
Take the violet wire off the A/F gauge, run it through the firewall grommet where the vaccuum boost hose is located, and tap into the black wire going to the front O2 sensor on the driver's side. You'll have to piece-out the violet wire from the gauge to make it reach.

compton23

Banned
i think i would still go with the pig tail for the reason of the for dealer always trying to find a way of voiding you warranty

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
You have a point about the warranty. I may still get the pigtail. I generally take the truck to Madden Lincoln because it is so far to a SVT dealer and the Ford place isn't on my good side. They've been pretty good so far but they have only changed the oil. They haven't notice the boost by pass kit yet.

compton23

Banned
you should take that off everytime you go to the dealer for work.they only need one reason to turn you down and that sure isnt a good one to fight over

crazy4ink

Extreme Ratchet Abuser
Established Member
Here ya go:

A/F pigtail

They had to evacuate because of Hurricane Francis, but they said that shipping will resume on 15 Oct 04.

Hope this helps!
Rob

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
Thanks, I decided to order the pigtail. For @ $35 it's not worth the trouble to splice the factory harness or the problems it could cause later. I wanted to call them and order it on my credit card but they didn't list a number. I will e-mail them later when they re-open. Again thanks for all of the help. The Lincoln dealer doesn't seem to care about the by-pass. The truck has been in there 3 times not a peep. They know everyone hates the local Ford dealer so I think they let things slide a little. I went as far as to order a part from them rather than get it down the street at the Ford place. They even washed it a couple of times just changing the oil and filter.

F.A.T.

Established Member
You will not have a warrenty issue with either of those mods, it takes about ten minutes to connect the ego gauge to the sensor.
SEe YA!!!!!!!

crazy4ink

Extreme Ratchet Abuser
Established Member
Hey no worries man! The pigtail makes life easier and if for some reason you do have to remove it or undo it, it's easier than if you had soldered everything together.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread