"HOW TO "color sand, any tips?? I need help

GTNV

Established Member
i just painted my hood, bumper and trunk in my garage, it turned out great, but has a slight orange peel to it. Can anyone give me any tips on what to do, or anything i SHOULDNT do? i used a base clear, and have not cleared it yet due to having to color sand it, any help greatly appreciated thanks

cobraCMDR

I Whine
Established Member
pick up this months issue of car craft. They are painting a rambler with 2 step base and clear. Tells you everything you need to know to do it yourself including wet sanding the clear coat I think.

83 5oh

Wait, Wait...Thats a Cat?
Established Member
hey man it's the base coat it doesn't really matter if it has orange peal cause your throwing a clear over it. You only have to worry bout the orange peal on the clear, once you level out the clear it'll be slick...

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a common problem.
I just painted my door handle bezels with duplicolor and a clear cote.
It has a slight orange peel as well. Is there an easy way to remove it? I'm afraid to wet sand the pieces. I know I'll fug it up.LOL

Tygerwoody

Established Member
badass98svt said:
I have a common problem.
I just painted my door handle bezels with duplicolor and a clear cote.
It has a slight orange peel as well. Is there an easy way to remove it? I'm afraid to wet sand the pieces. I know I'll fug it up.LOL
Wet sand with 2000 grit sandpaper. Be sure to keep the sand paper SOAKING wet. If the sandpaper is not dripping like its coming from a faucet its not wet enough.(maybe thats extreme, but you get the idea)
Use a rubbing compound on whatever you just sandpapered
Use a medium cut polish
Use a medium cut polish again
Use a fine polish
Look in awe at your beautiful work. ;)

btw, when using rubbing compound and polish a PC(or something equivalent) is borderline required. Its not *really* required, but it will save you a hell of alot of time.

Last edited:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Damn, that's a lot of work.
I would need to do it by hand too.
I have really fine paper, and I have a polishing compound, but I don't know if its medium, fine or what.

Users who are viewing this thread