How to change suspension springs

mrpositraction

Sssssssslayer
Established Member
I didn't write this, some one else on the board did, but it seemed like a really good write up and I had to search pretty hard to find it.

Enjoy:

Spring Install
1. Get the car on 4 jack stands (if you only have 2, then do the front and then the rear.) Get all the tires off

FRONT
2. starting in the front, get the calipers off. That little pin in the back with the c clip will do the trick. I tucked them up behind the struts and set them on that ledge up there. Then take the abs line and under it from the double hook, so it has slack.
3. Take the sway bar off, remove it from the top of the rod.
4. Jack up the side your working on with your jack under the spring perch
5. using an allen key and an open box wrench, take the struts off from the top under the hood. Take the bolt, metal plate, and bushing and set it all to the side so it doesnt get lost.
6. Lower the jack
7. Pry a little bit to get the springs out, but it will pop right out. Its not under extreme pressure any more so you dont have to worry about it flying out.

8. Now it was slightly tricky to pry the new springs in, but I just used a pry bar on the boot of the spring and used the hole in the middle of the perch to pry it in. Didn’t take a lot of effort but its not going to jump in itself. Defiantly not a big deal though.

9. Once you get the springs in, jack the lower a arm back up into place watching the top of the strut and making sure it goes back in the hole up top.

Reverse the removal process to get it back together.

Back

The car should already be up on 4 stands, or now have the rear in the air at least.

Youll defiantly need 2 jacks.

1. Support the diff with your jack.
2. Remove the struts from the lower arms. I used another jack and jacked up the arm, just enough to take the pressure of the strut bolt, near the connecting ball joint.
3. Remove the IRS bolt in the tire well near the strut. Release the jack holding the lower arm
4. Complete same on opposite side.
5. Lower the jack supporting the diff

The springs will fall out, may need to help it some but they defiantly come out with ease. Dont remove the jack completely from the diff, just lower it enough to get the springs out.

Put your new springs in, reverse the steps, and make sure to use the 2nd jack to get the strut bolt in there.

One other thing to note is I only used 2 jack stands at a time and after loosening the rear IRS bolts you will have to find the sweet spot where the bolts are not binding as you take them out, jack the rear end up or down slightly to achieve this

:read:

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I found this info a while back too. Will for sure help with my install. Can you post a link to that thread because it also has several pictures in it that will help people IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread