How-to Change out Intercooler pump

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
Just a little how-to in order to change your intercooler pump. Didnt think I saw one.

Anyways I changed my oem pump with a Meziere unit. Nothing was wrong with my stock one I only changed it due to the fact that I have a killer chiller. I also changed it as I got a great deal on a used Meziere unit.

You can get to the i/c pump one of two ways. Removing the front bumper (4 bolts, 2 screws and 4 clips) or remove the passenger inner fender wall (2 screws and 6 clips). In this how-to I will be removing the fender wall. I would say either way is about the same amount of work as I had my bumper on and off a few times.

Step one: Jack up front of the car (just enough to remove the tire) and remove passenger wheel
Step two: Remove two screw holding on the fender liner (one located in the front bottom and one located in the back bottom)
Step three: Remove the 6 push pin clips (two under the side skirting, one on each side of the shock/spring, and two up near the front attached to the sub frame)
Step four: You should be able to see the pump at this point ( I have extra lines as I have a killer chiller)
0725151234_zps8yrfov0v.jpg

0725151234b_zpsq6ojijwy.jpg

Step five: Remove the "in" hose to drain out coolant (from here if you are just replacing your stock i/c pump with another oem unit remove the 10mm bolt holding the pump to the bracket and swap in your new one)
0725151246_zpsyors39iv.jpg

Step six: Remove the two bolts holding the bracket to the frame. Undo the "out" hose and unhook the power
0725151259_zpsn02wc00j.jpg

Pumps side by side
0725151316_zpsiigxxh7r.jpg

Step seven: I didnt get any pictures modding the bracket but its pretty easy to figure out. All I did was drilled out the threaded end, pulled the bracket apart and used a long bolt. I am sure there are other ways but I found this the easiest
0725151455a_zpsso6uswmp.jpg

Step eight: Start putting it back together. I attached the pump and bracket back to the frame then hooked up the hoses. The stock "in" hose worked. All I did was flip it end for end and cut a little off and it fit right to the pump. (bends fit perfect)
Step nine: As the connectors are different (at least with my used one) I spliced them together.
Step ten: Tighten down all the clamps and fill up the tank and jump the i/c pump to make sure everything is working and you have no leaks
0725151455_zpsi2nsuykr.jpg

From there just reverse steps 4-1

2003cobra22

Corn Fed
Established Member
When I mounted my Meziere IC pump there company rep told me it must be mounted vertically not horizontally or risk burning the pump up

Last edited:

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
When I mounted my Meziere IC pump there company rep told me it must be mounted vertically not horizontally or risk burning the pump up

I will have to contact them tomorrow to see what they say.

Does anyone else have any input on ^ that comment

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
Alright guys a little up date. I spoke to a Meziere tech and he said his only concern with the pump being on its side (horizontal) is coolant sitting in the housing and eventually going through the seal to the motor. He said with anything on it side you also only get the bearing wear on that one side. He said its nothing to throw a major concern about and said as long as the pump doesnt sit with coolant in the housing for long periods of time you should be good to go.

With that being said i went ahead and did a little modding to the bracket and turned the pump vertical. Being the second time I had the inner fender wall off in no time. Drained the coolant once more. Modded the bracket and was good to go again. Please keep in mind Its not the cleanest looking install but who sees it? No one. It gets the job done and I shouldnt have any problems with it. Everything is very tight and firm with no movement when i try to shake it/ turn it on and off

0729151621_zpstuga1isl.jpg

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Yeah, I heard the same thing mounted mine vertically. My only complaint about the whole thing is the holes are only tapped on one ****ing side. Kind of anoying as the pump is then backwards of how I wanted it (not using stock bracket). Love the pump though I've had it for 4-5 years never a hiccup.

Oh and the bleeder screw seized in there real fast but only ever had the need once when swapping the engine and entire IC system to another vehicle. Just pressurized the supply side and forced the air out.

Last edited:

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
Yeah, I heard the same thing mounted mine vertically. My only complaint about the whole thing is the holes are only tapped on one ****ing side. Kind of anoying as the pump is then backwards of how I wanted it (not using stock bracket). Love the pump though I've had it for 4-5 years never a hiccup.

Yea I didnt see any need to make a new bracket. I didnt spend any money on the install. Stock hoses worked perfectly. Everything ended up being in the right location for how i did it.

Users who are viewing this thread