How to catch a GTR, need advice on which way to go

Splatter

Established Member
Ok, so we are looking at something like the BMR control arm brackets along with a panhard bar as well?? What would a Watts linkage do to that combo?? Thank god I found a cheap air freight company!

darreng505

Established Member
Yes, but what you *really* need when you lower the rear are LCA relocation brackets.

+1.

and I would suggest adjustable rear LCA's as well. These will correct the lowered rear geometry to prevent wheel hop and increase traction.

Ok, so we are looking at something like the BMR control arm brackets along with a panhard bar as well?? What would a Watts linkage do to that combo?? Thank god I found a cheap air freight company!

A watts link replaces the panhard bar/brace components and performs essentially the same duty in a different, perhaps superior, manner.

Last edited:

gs462

Established Member
I think you're on the right track with brake and suspension mods, but have you considered a custom tune? wouldn't an extra 20 hp come in handy at times a

Splatter

Established Member
I think you're on the right track with brake and suspension mods, but have you considered a custom tune? wouldn't an extra 20 hp come in handy at times a

Thought about it, but honestly will wait till I have the rest under control. Also waiting till a tune is bug free as I would probably do it myself and Ford will not help since I imported direct... ha!! yeahh, I am free, no warranty.....

I found a Vid on youtube with the GTR and Porsche with the top times at the track in question... Its a little uncivilized, I think they nearly came to blows when they got out of the car and had to be kept apart.

NissanGTr r35 2013 - YouTube

Splatter

Established Member
I know I am a novice with lots to learn, but I think thats why, with some mods and more experience, I may be able to post a time closer to theirs. Still those machines real move.

Some pretty expensive hardware that is forgetting its against the clock not each other!!. Makes me wonder about a roll cage etc.

Really looking forward to seeing how the brakes react to the new pads/cooling ducts and wider front tires. Will get to find out next month!

Splatter

Established Member
Well got my brake fluid changed again, pads changed to Pf-z, cooling ducts in, -1.5 camber with MM plates and 275/35-19 Bridgestone S04's up front with the 285/35 on the rear/

So far car feels great, rides a little harder up front from the lower profile, but thats ok. Brakes feel much better then before but will not have a track school day till early next month and a open track two weeks later. Depending on how I do, will look at the set of race tires and maybe the Steeda Boss springs.

Last outing I had managed to get the slow corner down ok in 2nd, helped my top speed at the end of the straight but still needed to start breaking about 60m earlier then a porsche 911S!! Hope my brake modes fix that. :beer:

I am counting on the GT-R owner not taking any classes etc so I can try to get a little closer!! Was thinking if a tune would help me out a bit..._

86Fbody

Established Member
Well got my brake fluid changed again, pads changed to Pf-z, cooling ducts in, -1.5 camber with MM plates and 275/35-19 Bridgestone S04's up front with the 285/35 on the rear/

So far car feels great, rides a little harder up front from the lower profile, but thats ok. Brakes feel much better then before but will not have a track school day till early next month and a open track two weeks later. Depending on how I do, will look at the set of race tires and maybe the Steeda Boss springs.

Last outing I had managed to get the slow corner down ok in 2nd, helped my top speed at the end of the straight but still needed to start breaking about 60m earlier then a porsche 911S!! Hope my brake modes fix that. :beer:

I am counting on the GT-R owner not taking any classes etc so I can try to get a little closer!! Was thinking if a tune would help me out a bit..._

More power isn't going to help you catch a GT-R.

Splatter

Established Member
More power isn't going to help you catch a GT-R.

I think you are probably right, but would a aluminum drive shaft help out? Still taking long looks a the new GT500 brakes...... But this weekend back on the track to see how the brake upgrades work out with the wider front tires. I get to go against the GT-rs on the 24th this month. If I can get it down to a 2 second difference, will be very happy.

darreng505

Established Member
I think you are probably right, but would a aluminum drive shaft help out? Still taking long looks a the new GT500 brakes...... But this weekend back on the track to see how the brake upgrades work out with the wider front tires. I get to go against the GT-rs on the 24th this month. If I can get it down to a 2 second difference, will be very happy.

Before buying the GT500 brakes there are two "less sexy" but more important components of the brake system people always overlook (except us racers). 1) The 302r ABS module. This disables traction control and has different modulation and is programmed for race compounds, trail braking, bigger tires, etc. It's improved my laps by 2-3 seconds alone. 2) The race brake booster. Yes its $3k, but it provides 30% better stopping power on your existing calipers. 6 piston GT500 "street" brakes will not do this. Also those GT500 street brakes do not have the heat materials in them to tolerate heavy track use. At least the Boss brembos are somewhat designed for the track (e.g. anodized calipers instead of painted).

Splatter

Established Member
Before buying the GT500 brakes there are two "less sexy" but more important components of the brake system people always overlook (except us racers). 1) The 302r ABS module. This disables traction control and has different modulation and is programmed for race compounds, trail braking, bigger tires, etc. It's improved my laps by 2-3 seconds alone. 2) The race brake booster. Yes its $3k, but it provides 30% better stopping power on your existing calipers. 6 piston GT500 "street" brakes will not do this. Also those GT500 street brakes do not have the heat materials in them to tolerate heavy track use. At least the Boss brembos are somewhat designed for the track (e.g. anodized calipers instead of painted).

Thanks for the tips, also looks like there are a lot less options in brake pads for the GT500 discs. For the stock brembos the list is rather long. Oh well will update after Saturdays track class

86Fbody

Established Member
I would think a DS would help since there would be less slop, also trying to lose weight on the car will help to speed you up.

Splatter

Established Member
Would moving the battery to the spare tire well be worth it?? I think the boss is 55/45 as far as weight goes, lighter wheels are on the list, as is a aluminium DS, Apart from that, would like to keep the car at least able to take the family out for dinner etc. I am 6 foot and 185lbs not much I can do about that!! Trying.... but middle age has its price.

I did not get the track key (long story), but was thinking of a track oriented tune with a CAI?

twistedneck

Established Member
Yes, but what you *really* need when you lower the rear are LCA relocation brackets.

is this to prevent the extra squat and dive you get by screwing up the rear geometry? I didn't find the extra squat that bad since its lower there is less total squat to or dive anyway.

please elaborate.

Splatter

Established Member
The battery idea I guess would be Strictly from a road race point of view. Trying to get the balance for and aft as close to 50/50 as possible for a front engine/rwd beast.

Update after my last race class. As far as the brake ducts and PFZ pads go, huge improvement over the previous HPS pads and such. Still managed to cook the pads once after 30min but they recovered very quickly. Now I understand what some of the more experienced posters ment by learning how to brake! I have been braking for too long instead of one strong firm push to the peddle. That makes me cook the brakes needlessly. Well worth the money to get some professional instruction on the track. Was thinking of going to Motul 66o from ATE blue too try to avoid drama on the track.

The 275/35-19 tires up front did not make such a huge difference as I was hoping for but did seem to make rotating the tail out easier by lifting off a little into the faster corners, grip in braking seemed better as well. The -1.5 camber probably helped the grip as well and after almost 200 km on the track the wear was much less then previous times. The lower profile tire is harder riding and I lowered the suspension setting too 2 for street. On the track I had 5 all around.

Users who are viewing this thread