How To - AutoMeter Column Gauge Pod (Paint To Match)

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
if your nitpicky about your terminator like me you might like this how-to!!!

i was on the search for a paint that matches are interior, i read about how some match some dont etc... so i went to the ford house and ask if they make a paint for the interior and they said yes! :rockon: i gave them the vin and they ordered me a can of PM-19M547-1074H (midnight black) FOR $18 bucks:banana:

(Edit) if you can't find the ford paint try the links below

2001-04 Mustang Dark Charcoal Lacquer Interior Paint at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

1979-04 Gray Sealer Paint at LRS - Same Day Shipping!
----------------------------------------------------------------------

so i then ordered a AutoMeter Steering Column Gauge Pod to go with my speedhut boost gauge if you want to know how to install the gauge here you go... http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...nstallation-speedhut-gauges-sos-pod-pics.html

NOW THE HOW TO

clean the gauge pod thoroughly with the dupli color prep wipe, you can pick it up for $3 buck at any autoparts store.

autopod042.jpg

let it air dry for 5 mins

autopod044.jpg

the way i went about painting it was, 2 thin coats then 5mins later 2 thick coats

autopod043.jpg

autopod045.jpg

i didnt drill holes in the Column, it seem to snap into place and the spin nut that came with the speedhut gauge was too bulky to use. so i used a hose clamp

autopod089.jpg

autopod091.jpg

autopod090.jpg

after all that, i used the how-to jomo1994z71 did and here is the finished product :rolling:

podauto048.jpg

i think the paint matches just fine :banana::banana:
podauto058.jpg

autopod095.jpg

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Nice job, seems to match great. Yeah, that nut that comes with the SH gauge is to big to work in the AM pod.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I just won a bid on an Auto Meter Z-Series Electric fuel pressure gauge to compliment my others, that column gauge pod is Exactly what I want! Looks Great!
photo0033kv.jpg

Last edited:

serper3

Established Member
just so you guys know, when i saw this, i wanted to paint my cluster bezel with an aftermarket boost and wideband to match the interior.....

i went to my local ford dealer and tried to go through tousley, according to both of them they no longer sell interior spray paint. :( this was just about a couple weeks ago..

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Just another FYI for you guys that can't get the Ford paint. SEM makes a paint that matches very well. I added a pic of my pod painted along with a pic of the paint, and you can also get it in spray bombs.
SEM Midnite Black # 5090
gaugepaint.jpg

013-1.jpg

Last edited:

timbo3282

Established Member
Nice writeup! I have that same Autometer pod and was impressed with the quality.

I installed the same gauge pod in my '03 Cobra and I used SEM paint from Latemodel Restoration in Dark Charcoal for my particular interior combo) and because I am a perfectionist I also used their primer. They have colors to perfectly match all the Ford interior colors and are about half the price you'll pay at the dealership. I painted the column pod and an a-pillar pod with it and they look factory.

Paint:
2001-04 Mustang Dark Charcoal Lacquer Interior Paint at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

Primer: 1979-04 Gray Sealer Paint at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

Good luck!

NGO

Established Member
Pics

I bought the Autometer steering column version but it doesn't appear to fit. Do you just put it ove the existing OEM steering column? If that is the case, I must have the wrong one.... it hits the factory gauge cluster? Any more detailed pics

KINGCarnge

Established Member
if your nitpicky about your terminator like me you might like this how-to!!!

i was on the search for a paint that matches are interior, i read about how some match some dont etc... so i went to the ford house and ask if they make a paint for the interior and they said yes! :rockon: i gave them the vin and they ordered me a can of PM-19M547-1074H (midnight black) FOR $18 bucks:banana:

(Edit) if you can't find the ford paint try the links below

1979-04 Gray Sealer Paint at LRS - Same Day Shipping!
----------------------------------------------------------------------

so i then ordered a AutoMeter Steering Column Gauge Pod to go with my speedhut boost gauge if you want to know how to install the gauge here you go... http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...nstallation-speedhut-gauges-sos-pod-pics.html

NOW THE HOW TO

clean the gauge pod thoroughly with the dupli color prep wipe, you can pick it up for $3 buck at any autoparts store.

View attachment 208290

let it air dry for 5 mins

View attachment 208291

the way i went about painting it was, 2 thin coats then 5mins later 2 thick coats

View attachment 208292

View attachment 208293

i didnt drill holes in the Column, it seem to snap into place and the spin nut that came with the speedhut gauge was too bulky to use. so i used a hose clamp

View attachment 208294

View attachment 208295

View attachment 208296

after all that, i used the how-to jomo1994z71 did and here is the finished product :rolling:

View attachment 208297

i think the paint matches just fine :banana::banana:
View attachment 208298

View attachment 208299

I am having the same problem trying to put the spin nut that locks in place. Never thought about doing what you did but now I will thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread