How to add a auxillery cable to your 6 disc.

christhebuildr

Established Member
I suck at write ups so if you have questions, then ask. I donot know how to add photos. So if i could email them to someone so they could post. That would be awesome.

Cd player is a 6 disc out if a 2004 mustang. *

How to solder an auxilery mp3 port into your stock cd player.* *

Required:T10 torx bit *

Wire cutters *

Pencil style solder iron, unless your solder skills are better than mine. *

An auxilery cable about 6 ft long with a headphone jack on one end and rcas on the other. Or you can get more technical and mount a female headphone jack somewhere in your dash or console. *

You shouldnt need any solder wire. *

Results may vary and i will not be held responsible if you damage your cd player in the process. I messed up with soldering cause i had the gun type and i suck with those. Dont let that shy you away, this is very easy. *

Step 1 dissassemble. I skipped photos of that. Its self exsplainitory. Yall got this. * *

Step 2 Get the cd player portion of your radio and remove it. *

Step 3 Locate the area by where the wire ribbon strip plugged in. About a half inch from the ribbon strip plug by the outer case there are two solder spots. One has LCH, the other has RCH.* *

Step 4 strip about 4 inches of insulations off the rca end of you aux cable. The ground should be exsposed. Your black and red wires only need to be stripped back about an 1/8 inch. *

Step 5 heat the solder spots on your cd player one at a time. Should turn to liquid really fast once the solder iron is hot. Dip the red wire into the RCH and your black wire into the LCH. *

Step 6 reassemble. During reassembly put your ground wire under a screw of you choice. *

The way this works is to find a cd you never listen to and put it in your cd player. Yes the cd will play. But as soon as you plug your ipod or phone into the aux cord it will quit.* *

Then you hit play on your ipod or phone and enjoy your music

ctgreddy

Established Member
Very interested in this. Only reason I want to upgrade radios is for this sort of thing, be nice if I could make the factory one work. You can email pics to me at [email protected] and I'll upload them for you.

ctgreddy

Established Member
I just got these emailed to me from the op, helps understand a little. I'm gonna try and tackle this job soon.

C7C5F4FE-477A-40D2-A683-2D838132A969_zps2a9izlrn.jpg

9BCECF01-3294-4A46-921C-DCCBB347E937_zpsjeatm2y2.jpg

EFAE7CE2-4C7D-4D19-B425-E46A6E903FBF_zpshmmkwu2e.jpg

62B5C263-FBF3-496E-BC57-DBEAD41D516E_zpsoqcz99ik.jpg

DF866261-4A91-4E18-9895-FB6C1D97C86F_zpspoe9brho.jpg

97D8A765-AB63-44B8-A8D0-E6B40BD02980_zpsxcpbekm6.jpg

Last edited:

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
I've tried doing this and it works fine on my ford escape, but on the cobra the aux input would not take over when until I turn the accessories off and back on and then if I skip to the next song then the CD takes over again and the phone would act like I pulled the jack out of it. It's weird.
Any advice?

nrmustang

Established Member
Wow! That's a lot of work! Is there any reason you didn't go with the P.I.E. interface? I paid around $70, its pretty much plug and play. Kit has RCA out, and I used it for my ipod connector. A simple search will help.

Last edited:

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
It's not a lot of work! It's actually very simple to do and it saves you about a $100. From a difficulty scale from 1 to 10 i would say it's around 3. On my escape it actually took me no more than 25 min. to do it.

Last edited:

ctgreddy

Established Member
I just got around to trying this today. My radio looked nothing like the pics when opened up. Must be a different year/model or something. I looked everywhere for a spot labeled rch/lch and nothing. I did find a spot labeled rout/lout and tried soldering it there but obviously wasn't correct as nothing works from my phone. All well, guess now I gotta upgrade head units.

mnetwork

Established Member
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I wanted to say I just did this today. I actually came across the idea through older Ford threads on other sites. I have an 04 Cobra, but someone at some point spliced 03 pigtails into the harness and installed an 03 radio. The PIE aux-in devices have been discontinued for some time and even they weren't I would have had to buy an 04 radio, convert the harness pigtails back, and buy/install the PIE. I just soldered up the three wires to a female 3.5mm jack. I then bought a 'CPSBTD' device (http://www.ebay.com/itm/351186481167) along with an RCA to 3.5mm adapter and wired it all in. I burned an audio CD with blank tracks (http://duramecho.com/Misc/SilentCd/) and just leave that in the player. I have Bluetooth audio with a stock radio and the whole setup cost me less than $30 dollars. :)

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Just an FYI, the pie adapters work on all 01+ radios. Im using one with my Mach 1000 HU in my 99 Explorer lol. I just have to press CD and the screen will say DJ and now im playing music off my phone. Hell, even the factory cd changer and steering wheel controls, in the Explorer, worked with that HU and controlled everything.

mnetwork

Established Member
Just an FYI, the pie adapters work on all 01+ radios. Im using one with my Mach 1000 HU in my 99 Explorer lol. I just have to press CD and the screen will say DJ and now im playing music off my phone. Hell, even the factory cd changer and steering wheel controls, in the Explorer, worked with that HU and controlled everything.

The PIE adapter that works on an 03 is not the same as one that works on an 04. The connectors are totally different and the 04 PIE has the need for the SAT button. Either way they are pretty difficult to find now. This method is very easy and very low cost for someone that wants to avoid going that route while keeping the stock unit.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
The PIE adapter that works on an 03 is not the same as one that works on an 04. The connectors are totally different and the 04 PIE has the need for the SAT button. Either way they are pretty difficult to find now. This method is very easy and very low cost for someone that wants to avoid going that route while keeping the stock unit.

I didnt know that 04 cars had the Phase 2 harnesses. Learn something new everyday.

That pie adapter above on Amazon is the one Im using. It has the older World harness connectors. So I will correct my previous statement for anyone that comes across it in the future. The PIE adapter will work on 01-03 cars that have the black World connectors.

mnetwork

Established Member
I didnt know that 04 cars had the Phase 2 harnesses. Learn something new everyday.

That pie adapter above on Amazon is the one Im using. It has the older World harness connectors. So I will correct my previous statement for anyone that comes across it in the future. The PIE adapter will work on 01-03 cars that have the black World connectors.
I didn't even know they had those names. Yeah, I don't know why there was a switch between those two years. Just happy I was able to use what I had and add Bluetooth to it. Wish I knew about this years ago when I first bought the car. Couldn't take the inline FM modulator anymore, awful.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
So I have an 03. Wanting to be able to use music off my phone too. Where exactly do you solder up the 3 wires to a female 3.5 jack? Could you explain the silent cd thing then too? Are you tapping in to the cd output so you need to spin a cd to keep the radio on that source? I'm sold on it, just want to understand it.

josephcostello

Established Member
I understand there were slight variations with radios, will the OP's method work with the radio that came in my 2001 cobra? Want to do it once and do it right, i've already fussed with an aftermarket double din and i hated it.

Users who are viewing this thread