How stupid would it be..

Adamn

Established Member
I was putting the wheels back on my car tonight and noticed there was about a 1/4" of movement side to side and up and down on the drivers side rear wheel. My car only has 20k miles so I didn't think it was at first but I am pretty confident that it's the wheel bearing.

So here's where my dilemma comes in, it's Wednesday night and I have had plans to go to the track on Friday for about a month now and with the odds of me getting the bearing replaced before then being very slim do I just go anyway? My fear is that with the little bit of slop in the bearing it will cause a bigger problem like a broken half shaft.

I know I probably shouldn't go but if someone with more knowledge on the subject convinces me that it will be ok I might do it anyway. I wouldn't really care if I hadn't done any mods since last time I went but this will be my first trip since getting my nitrous tune and I'm really anxious to see how it does. On the other hand I would put it off until most likely spring if I have to in order to avoid replacing a half shaft along with bearings.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I was putting the wheels back on my car tonight and noticed there was about a 1/4" of movement side to side and up and down on the drivers side rear wheel. My car only has 20k miles so I didn't think it was at first but I am pretty confident that it's the wheel bearing.

So here's where my dilemma comes in, it's Wednesday night and I have had plans to go to the track on Friday for about a month now and with the odds of me getting the bearing replaced before then being very slim do I just go anyway? My fear is that with the little bit of slop in the bearing it will cause a bigger problem like a broken half shaft.

I know I probably shouldn't go but if someone with more knowledge on the subject convinces me that it will be ok I might do it anyway. I wouldn't really care if I hadn't done any mods since last time I went but this will be my first trip since getting my nitrous tune and I'm really anxious to see how it does. On the other hand I would put it off until most likely spring if I have to in order to avoid replacing a half shaft along with bearings.

You didn't say but I'm assuming this is a rear wheel you're talking about because you're also talking about the halfshaft. Get a 36mm socket and check the torque on your halfshaft to hub retaining nut and if it's loose, torque it to 240-250#. If the car has been driven like that for any length of time your rear wheel bearing is toast. If you drove it long enough, that also destroyed your hub as well. You won't know for sure if the hub is toast until until you take it apart.

We have more info regarding that in the FAQ on our site:

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/faqs.htm#loose_nut

Hope that helps.

PS Oh, and DON'T go to the track like that. That's stupid.

:thumbsup::coolman: :beer:

Adamn

Established Member
You didn't say but I'm assuming this is a rear wheel you're talking about because you're also talking about the halfshaft. Get a 36mm socket and check the torque on your halfshaft to hub retaining nut and if it's loose, torque it to 240-250#. If the car has been driven like that for any length of time your rear wheel bearing is toast. If you drove it long enough, that also destroyed your hub as well. You won't know for sure if the hub is toast until until you take it apart.

We have more info regarding that in the FAQ on our site:

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/faqs.htm#loose_nut

Hope that helps.

PS Oh, and DON'T go to the track like that. That's stupid.

:thumbsup::coolman: :beer:

Thanks for the info that's pretty much what I expect to hear

SVTDom

cheetah on cocaine
Established Member
I wouldn't go, like you said why risk ruining more equipment if all you need to do is change a wheel bearing. Change the bearing and go to the track. Its not like pulling the motor

Adamn

Established Member
I wouldn't go, like you said why risk ruining more equipment if all you need to do is change a wheel bearing. Change the bearing and go to the track. Its not like pulling the motor

The problem isn't doing the work it's having the time to do the work and go to the track. It took almost a month to work the trip I'm not going to make into my schedule and the way the weather is turning I probably won't be able to make it there till spring

TRBO VNM

If you have that kind of movement, remember it is an IRS. 4 wheel alignment. If you have that kind of play in the wheel, can you image on a track running the speeds you plan and having that kind of play in the wheels that you can't control?

Adamn

Established Member
I torqued the axle nut down and the wheel has no movement anymore. I am still going to replace the bearings as a precaution since the nut was loose and I don't know for how long so Im sure there is some damage done to the bearing. Instead of waiting until it is completely gone I will change them over the winter and save my hub. Thanks for all the help

Users who are viewing this thread