How reliable are SN95 Cobras?

11Past9

Established Member
I've got a limited budget but I saw these things are pretty cheap and I was wondering if there was anything in particular that hinders reliability someone could warn me of. I think I'd be looking into higher mileage (100,000+) and was wondering if I have anything significant to be concerned of, weak transmissions, rear ends, engines, small little stupid things I can live with but is this a car I can drive daily, track sometimes and not really need to worry about stuff besides basic maintenance?

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
I have 232,000+ miles on my car.

The original drivetrain was not broken into until 229,500 miles, and it was running just perfectly when I did!

If you take care of these motors, and don't over spin them..you shouldn't have to worry about anything besides the normal things.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
it really depends on how the previuos owners treated the car for those first 100k, it will be harder to find one thats not beat to death wheny ou start talking over 100k on a vehicle that is over 10 years old.

Rears are good, motor is good, and trans is good if you dont powershift it but its the weaker point in a stock drivetrain

11Past9

Established Member
Some cars require extensive review before actually handing over the cash... so many things are hidden in the test drive and so on, is this one of those cars? Or is it hard to find one that isn't going to start grinding on me, or causing me problems? Does mileage matter so much? I'd be looking for a 96 Coupe that was in good shape cosmetically and usually I can tell by the owner if he knows his stuff or not enough to take care of his car.

I just know that edge Mustang GT's have problems with transmissions blowing and so didn't 94+ GT's so I didn't know if that was the same case with the 94-98 Cobras because I will want to bring this to the track as well as daily drive and I am on a budget, I don't want to have to deal with a bunch of headaches.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
if you want to have a car thats 100k on the odo. and bang gears at the track you have to understand no mustang in your price range is gonna fit your requirements because there is no telling when they are going to break, the weak point is the trans. if you dont powershift it should be fine but thats "should" so no guarantee.

motors and rears are good until you get into sticky tires then you run the risk of breaking an axle. If you get one that has had gears and 31 splines already put in it should be good to go.

Atlantic Blue

Established Member
First thing you need to do is a CARFAX report. That will tell you allot. Next look at the condition and cleanliness of the interior, body and of course the Engine. That will give you clues if your about to buy a problem real quick. If the prevous owners have taken care of the car it will show. Check the oil and it's condition, etc, all of these things will add up to whether your going to get a lemon, or a Rose. Do not let your emotions be a part of the buying process. If the car has power adders you are probably looking at a car that has been punished.

The trannys do suck in OEM condition. But remember if the car is inexpensive it is easy to upgrade, and then you can put you money into something you can be proud to own.

See ya at the Mustang shows!

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
i'm just short or 132k on my car. it's still running great (knock on wood). i didn't even start modding it until i think 126k and it's held up real well. these cars are fun.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
If it were me and I was looking for reliabilty, I'd lean towards a high mileage bone stock car. People that leave them bone stock are less likely to drive them hard IMO.

I had a 125K 96 that was driven HARD. Only problems I had out of it was a broken input shaft. But thats one of those things you don't find out till its to late!

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Like stated the trans is the only real weak point from the factory. If you beat on it it will break. Mine let go with minor bolt ons, full exhaust and gears. Switching to a T-56 was the best mod I've done. Even better then the blower!

Redtop1980

Cobra Freak
Established Member
I have well over 170K on the motor, it has never been in to. It runs great. However, I personally trashed the T-45 at about 120K. Trashed the rear end at about 115K. But I know that all has to do with my particular driving style. The engine runs great, gets regular oil changes. Great car, holds up well. The only problems I ever had was abotu 110K an intake idle controller went bad. LOVE MY CAR

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
everytime someone posts up there high mileage cobra it gives me hope that mine will last that long.

96 SLOW 4V

Established Member
With a high milage cobra, clean the imrc's!!! Change all the fluids, filters, and do a tune up. That will make it run and feel like new. You will have my years of enjoyment. I beat the S*** ot of my cobra with no major problems. The only problem I have had was a bent 3/4 shift fork.
Buy it...

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
the guy that i bought my cobra from broke the shifter fork running a pro 5.0 stick on the stock shifter. when they were installing the king cobra clutch they showed me my old one and if still looked brand new so maybe the previous owner was gentle.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
mine was beat when i got it, but i got a great deal. now its babied. its pretty reliable except for little things here and there. mine was 135000 miles

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
I bought my bone stock 97 with 94K on the odometer. I since, have been modding it lightly. It has over 132K on the odometer, and only things that needed replacing were the front hubs, and the alternator.

ifinditundrgrnd

Established Member
I have 103K on mine and it runs flawlessly but it was taken care of before I got it, and I don't drive it hard at all. No mods yet either.

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
190k+ on my '95 Cobra shortblock. major things were axle seal, distributor (grenaded at 132k), radiator (when I got the car at 93k).
166k+ on my '96 Mystic Cobra; replaced ignition switch, alternator and suspension stuff because it wasn't properly fixed when the previous owner got into an accident. there might still be an axle seal leak but maybe it was fixed.......the area near it is wet, might not have ever been cleaned after being fixed with the 3.73 gears install.
I'm religious about regular maintenance though; its my only religion lol.....

Users who are viewing this thread