How prevalent are the MT-82 problems?

mtrsprt

Established Member
I seem to notice mine hitting the limiter before the 7500 mark on the tach. More like 7300 on the tach. Almost like the engine revs faster than the tach can keep up in first/second gear.

Vista6019

Established Member
just turned 1000 miles and no transmission issues to speak of.
Second can be a little notchy until it gets warmed up. I just shift from 1st to 3rd until I can easily get into 2nd....

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I seem to notice mine hitting the limiter before the 7500 mark on the tach. More like 7300 on the tach. Almost like the engine revs faster than the tach can keep up in first/second gear.
I agree... If I try to hold it past an indicated 7250 in 1st it hit the limiter. I honestly think the tach is a little behind.

86Fbody

Established Member
I agree... If I try to hold it past an indicated 7250 in 1st it hit the limiter. I honestly think the tach is a little behind.

Could also be that from 6k-7500 it takes about half a second and it hits the limiter before you notice it.

Firedaniel

Established Member
I have 20k miles on my 12 and switched to BG syncromesh II fluid and a Barton shifter and bracket. I have 0 problems with mine. I replaced the fluid right when I bought it new. Made a huge difference.

Mr. Freeze

Established Member

+2 i agree the stock tach is behind, it revs quicker than the tach can keep up and is behind the 7500 red line. i've literally had to learn through feel and right shift points on the tach by habit to have smooth runs. it kind of reminds me if the old s/c fox i had when i put 3.73's and the tach just ran wildly

5 DOT 0

Established Member
I have 20k miles on my 12 and switched to BG syncromesh II fluid and a Barton shifter and bracket. I have 0 problems with mine. I replaced the fluid right when I bought it new. Made a huge difference.
Have you tracked your car? Mine's fine on the street but at the track it's a mess. Again I think it's the clutch and I'm installing a McLeod RXT this week.

Firedaniel

Established Member
Yes I have 2nd to 3rd was my only issue but found shifting with a open hand made all the difference. If I try to push to 3rd with my hand gripping the ball it will miss every time.

HP11

Established Member
Yes I have 2nd to 3rd was my only issue but found shifting with a open hand made all the difference. If I try to push to 3rd with my hand gripping the ball it will miss every time.

I too have found this technique useful. I have not missed a shift since adapting to this technique... Fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J.Shoot

Established Member
Tranny....

I have a 2013 Boss, I put a D-1 procharger on it and an MGW shifter and havn't had any problems with mine. I've taken it to the track twice for a total of about 10 runs. The MGW shifter does shift smoother than the stock shifter. Just my .02. I only have 2300 miles on the car though.

Good luck with your car. You'll love the S/C on your car. I know I do.:banana:

J.Shoot

gkviper192

Established Member
1. MGW solves much of the notchy shifts and smooths things out
2. remove clutch spring.. pedal will not go super soft on you after WOT pulls.and the clutch will feel much better and more linear in my opinion
3. JHR High flow clutch line will lastly solve the lockout issue that is mostly seen at high rpm 2-3 3-4 shifts.

Soft pedal, sloppy gear box, and lockout are the 3 main problems with the mt-82 and these 3 steps above all individually took care of the issues for me. My car made 660rwhp and the stock clutch had 3,500 HARD street miles on it when I sold the car with no issues at all.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
1. MGW solves much of the notchy shifts and smooths things out

For me the stock shifter is much smoother and lighter in the 6-8 5.0's that I've driven including three different ones on a track.

2. remove clutch spring.. pedal will not go super soft on you after WOT pulls.and the clutch will feel much better and more linear in my opinion
This is a band-aid fix and best and is not the problem The clutch is the problem

3. JHR High flow clutch line will lastly solve the lockout issue that is mostly seen at high rpm 2-3 3-4 shifts.
This line is a complete waste of money (unless you're running LT headers) and DOES NOT fix the problem. Ask me how I know.

mtrsprt

Established Member
I agree, the clutch is the problem. Why can I shift just fine through all the gears, in a speedy manner at 6800.....but if I go over 7K, it's a crap shoot.. Has to be the clutch setup. Pedal does not go soft at 6800, but after 7K...yup....

gkviper192

Established Member
For me the stock shifter is much smoother and lighter in the 6-8 5.0's that I've driven including three different ones on a track.

This is a band-aid fix and best and is not the problem The clutch is the problem

This line is a complete waste of money (unless you're running LT headers) and DOES NOT fix the problem. Ask me how I know.

Each one helped me more and more. The stock shifter is way too sloppy during high speed shifts.

Davemcc

Established Member
Update on my car...they rebuilt the transmission and put it back in the car but I can't have it back because it won't go in reverse. They are dropping the transmission again next week.

RTD

Established Member
I agree, the clutch is the problem. Why can I shift just fine through all the gears, in a speedy manner at 6800.....but if I go over 7K, it's a crap shoot.. Has to be the clutch setup. Pedal does not go soft at 6800, but after 7K...yup....

This makes sense. Are you thinking the pressure plate or the hydraulics?

mtrsprt

Established Member
This makes sense. Are you thinking the pressure plate or the hydraulics?
At this point, maybe a little combination of both. I hate hydraulic clutches in general for this reason. I'd rather have a cable clutch.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
So you prefer the stock shifter over the MGW?
I like the MGW and I'm not going to switch back at this point. I think the greatest improvement for removing the vague feeling from the stock shifter is eliminating the marshmallow stock shifter bracket. Both MGW and Barton use a twin post design and if I was going to do it again I'd just buy the Barton twin post bracket and be done with it. I first installed a Steeda shifter bracket and that tightened up the shifting. The twin post design keeps the shifter from rotating and tightens up the shifting in another plane. Be prepared for more NHV in either case.

P1020943.jpg

Para81

Established Member
I'm at 3,679 miles on my Boss.

The shifting does feel great, very light and smooth and driver friendly.

However, when I start hitting back roads and shift at 7,500 rpm, every once in a while it won't let me, locking me out of that gear so I have to back off and then shift again at a lower rpm losing the fun factor a bit.

So what's the majority ruling on this?

Someone said an MGW Shifter and a trans oil change will solve it....

Users who are viewing this thread