How prevalent are the MT-82 problems?

dazwelding

Established Member
Here is an interesting point. We run royal purple synthetic oil in our vehicles. Since I bought my Boss used, I took it to the RP dealer right after I got it to have the fluids swaped out. I don't remember if our mechanic called Ford, RP, or both, but he was told to not use any other brand of fluid other than Motorcraft in the trans.
I am not sure if Ford would actually blame any issues on the oil, or if RP just new there are issues and did not want anything to do with the MT82. Either way, there are apparently enough MT82 issues out there to make my mechanic concerned. I can't say whether it would help or not, but don't plan on a fluid swap helping any!

86Fbody

Established Member
Here is an interesting point. We run royal purple synthetic oil in our vehicles. Since I bought my Boss used, I took it to the RP dealer right after I got it to have the fluids swaped out. I don't remember if our mechanic called Ford, RP, or both, but he was told to not use any other brand of fluid other than Motorcraft in the trans.
I am not sure if Ford would actually blame any issues on the oil, or if RP just new there are issues and did not want anything to do with the MT82. Either way, there are apparently enough MT82 issues out there to make my mechanic concerned. I can't say whether it would help or not, but don't plan on a fluid swap helping any!

People have said switching to Redline helps with the trans, I had read that RP won't work for the MT82 because the don't make the right kind of fluid.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I would like to ask a question to all of you guys... Have you noticed the tach is a little behind the actual rpm count in stock trim. I literally will hit the rev limiter everytime if I try to tach it to 7500.. I could tach my Z06 to 7k in every gear and never touched the 7100 rpm limit. The boss has a 7800 limiter(so I have read)
and I hit it at an indicated 7500

Last edited:

RTD

Established Member
I would like to ask a question to all of you guys... Have you noticed the tach is a little behind the actual rpm count in stock trim. I literally will hit the rev limiter everytime if I try to tach it to 7500.. I could tach my Z06 to 7k in every gear and never touched the 7100 rpm limit. The boss has a 7800 limiter(so I have read)

Stock rev limiter is 7500.

86Fbody

Established Member
How does the assist spring go bad??? The assist spring is not the problem and removing it is a band aid fix at best.

It doesn't go bad but it is bad. And you are right it could be seen as a band aid fix, except that in some cases it fixes the issue. Hopefully they do find something they can fix, if so let us know what is found.

Jroc

Established Member
How good of a upgrade is a T56 Magnum in a MT82 equipped car?

IamRacerX

Established Member
Stock rev limiter is 7500.
Seriously? How does Ford advertise the power peak at 7500 and have the limiter there as well.... Makes no sense... I guess it explains why I have hit it....

IamRacerX

Established Member
I wanted to add another note here... The MT82 is imo a very smooth gear box when it comes to regular driving use. Far smoother than either the T56 or the T6060.... But it is not with out its quirks. I have found a very deliberate clutch use and firm pressure upshifts work in my car during high rpm shifts. As I said already I trust it enough to power shift at the drag strip..
Anyone know what the MT82 torque capacity is?
Edit.. found my answer.. 520NM or 383lbft

Last edited:

RTD

Established Member
How good of a upgrade is a T56 Magnum in a MT82 equipped car?

It's a very sturdy trans, but the gear ratios are vastly different from what's in the MT82, so expect the car to drive a lot differently.

RTD

Established Member
Seriously? How does Ford advertise the power peak at 7500 and have the limiter there as well.... Makes no sense... I guess it explains why I have hit it....

Well, the power peak is at redline. In fact, it's pretty much flat a few hundred RPM before 7500 and after 7500 (based on people who have upped their stock limiter in their tune).

The 5.0 Magazine article on the development of the Roadrunner stated that the engine was designed for 7900 RPM. There were early rumors that the Track Key would raise the redline to that. But it never happened.

swaftom

Established Member
Wow, this is all good information. Thanks for everyone's contribution. I guess maybe just hope for the best and buy it, then go for the shifter fix if there's a problem, then if that doesn't solve it, go for the assist spring fix. If that doesn't fix it, what can be done to fix the hydraulics that some think are a culprit? Just changing the clutch wouldn't seem to solve that, but I could be wrong. Plus I'm not sure what exactly people mean when they reference the hydraulics as a potential problem. I mean, if the system can't keep up, what can you really do about it? Thanks again guys, I'm looking at a 2013 red, or white, or GHIG model.
If not the boss, then probably look for a 11 or 12 shelby, or a nice terminator, as I'd feel comfortable dumping some money into it immediately, since they're pretty proven durable cars. (yea, I know, the terminator is probably not even a comparable car to the boss other than moddable for high power and speed).

86Fbody

Established Member
Hydraulics issues most likely refer to the clutch master cylinder not being the best, or the clutch line sucking, or maybe that the clutch sucks.

IamRacerX

Established Member
Well, the power peak is at redline. In fact, it's pretty much flat a few hundred RPM before 7500 and after 7500 (based on people who have upped their stock limiter in their tune).

The 5.0 Magazine article on the development of the Roadrunner stated that the engine was designed for 7900 RPM. There were early rumors that the Track Key would raise the redline to that. But it never happened.

Good info! Ford probably wanted the 7900 limit with the track key but the MT82 wouldn't allow a shift that high....LOL

Davemcc

Established Member
What happened?

BTW, i'm Rich_S from LS2.

It started crunching it's way into 2nd and 3rd gears when cold. There was no way to get it smoothly into gear until it was fully warmed up. After 20-30 minutes of driving, it would shift normally. It usually started shifting normally just about the time I pulled into the parking lot at work.:bored:

I left it at the dealer overnight so the tech could drive it cold and he agreed it was very bad. The dealership has ordered "a bunch of parts including synchros" but didn't give me an exact list. It's been there a week now. I'm looking forward to a more exciting drive to work when I get it back.

mtrsprt

Established Member
My MT-82 never grinds, not ever .........but if you try to shift quick at anything over 7000rpm, you have a 50/50 chance of it going into the next gate. This is with Redline MTL fluid and a shifter/bracket upgrade also. Quite a few people are stating an aftermarket clutch solves this type of issue the most. Others have reported changes in the tune under torque management for some reason, helped this issue also.

DanfromLI

Established Member

Hard limiter is @7500

Users who are viewing this thread