How prevalent are the MT-82 problems?

swaftom

Established Member
Hey everyone, I'm seriously considering buying a 2013 Boss new from a dealer. I've read most of the pages of this forum and am concerned that the MT-82 is not very durable. I've read about the clutch sticking to the floor, and the gear lockouts, as well as the synchro breakage.
Are these problems very wide-spread? It just seems that it would defeat the purpose of the car to have to short shift before the redline in order to avoid gear lockout, like I've read some have to. I loved the car I test drove, it's just that the transmission durability greatly concerns me, since it sounds like a lot of the same problems, thus I'd imagine it is an inherent design flaw/weakness that fixing under warranty will only patch. I do not plan on taking it to the track really, maybe once a year, but I don't want a car I cannot shift and use in the manner intended, i.e. high rpm, etc.
Also, I look forward to supercharging it, as the performance/numbers people are getting are awesome, but I don't see anyone comment about what they do to their trans when they add forced induction so that it'll handle the power. Can the internals handle a pump gas supercharger kit?
Thanks for any help in making this decision, as my sole sticking point is the transmission; otherwise, the car felt great in the limited time I had with it.

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Established Member
At 900 miles my #2005 13 shifts beautifully. I am still going to change the trans fluid however just to be safe at its first engine oil change. I have just had so many experiences feeling a sometimes vast improvement changing fluid out in multiple manual gearboxes that I do this regardless now on any vehicle I own.

Splatter

Established Member
Oil Change and MGW shifter

Once I changed the gearbox oil and put in a MGW shifter, all my gearbox woes went away. Have over 500km of hard shifting trackdays with zero problems so far.

To bad I did not do it day one... had to change the syncros before I went ahead with the fix. But well worth it.

86Fbody

Established Member
I think the issues are over exaggerated and look worse because not every single Boss owner is on the forum. The pedal stick is obnoxious but that can be solved by removing the assist spring, which has no adverse effect. If you learn the trans I doubt you would get any lockout or grinding issues, but while learning you most likely will.

swaftom

Established Member
Thanks for the responses thus far. That helps ease a little of the worry about the transmission, but I guess it kinda still seems like a hit and miss with problems, just hope I'm lucky enough to get a "good" one.
When people say, "learn the transmission", what exactly do they mean? I read that on other posts, I'm not sure I understand. For example, when others experience lockout at high rpm shifts, what is it that they are doing wrong? Does it just not take hard shifting very well? Thanks again.

86Fbody

Established Member
Thanks for the responses thus far. That helps ease a little of the worry about the transmission, but I guess it kinda still seems like a hit and miss with problems, just hope I'm lucky enough to get a "good" one.
When people say, "learn the transmission", what exactly do they mean? I read that on other posts, I'm not sure I understand. For example, when others experience lockout at high rpm shifts, what is it that they are doing wrong? Does it just not take hard shifting very well? Thanks again.

Have you ever driven a T56 car? The trans will feel different when shifting the MT82. You have to modify how you go into gears. Shifting gates....... **** - Page 4 - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums if you scroll down there is a description of how you will shift.

swaftom

Established Member
Okay, thanks. Yes, I've driven multiple T-56 cars, so I guess the difference would just become evident as I get more time with the Boss' MT-82. It sounds though like a shifter is a very good idea from the get-go. Thanks again, I appreciate the info/opinions, as I need all the help I can get making this decision.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
7k miles for me. outside of being notchy when cold, like every getrag it shifts like butter.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
First thing I've learned is seat position is important. I am actually sitting closer than I usually have in other cars. Since I have done that I have had very few issues. I even trust it to powershift at the dragstrip.

swaftom

Established Member
I've been reading more today about it, and it's so strange that some people have ruined sychros and all, yet some people claim to have multiple power-shifting passes at the strip and no problems whatsoever. Interesting.

86Fbody

Established Member
I've been reading more today about it, and it's so strange that some people have ruined sychros and all, yet some people claim to have multiple power-shifting passes at the strip and no problems whatsoever. Interesting.

I would think that can be attributed to shifting, at least it makes sense to me. I have not put an MGW in my car so I don't know how it feels but I would assume it feels differently then stock, and so shifting will be done differently then stock.

thebull

150 or Bust
Established Member
I've encountered peddle stick and lock out on the road course and on the street.....Pretty annoying...Thinking about changing the clutch out.

thebull

150 or Bust
Established Member
First thing I've learned is seat position is important. I am actually sitting closer than I usually have in other cars. Since I have done that I have had very few issues. I even trust it to powershift at the dragstrip.

I agree Frank..The seat must be really close.....You have to push the pedal through the floor when speed shifting....I usually no lift shift when drag racing and if you're close enough it's not going in.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member

i had tremec mustangs. the MT82 shifts way smoother. i have a Gt with 8300 miles on it. i put a steeda shifter in, makes it shift a lot tigher. You do have to get used to shifting it.
Most of the cry babys came from mom's civic or playing forza on ebox lol.

dazwelding

Established Member
We got our 12 used at 7k miles. We are now around 11k. Other than tires, it's stock. My wife and I both run it in Autocross, and I drag race it. There is really not alot of shifting going on during the autocross, however drag racing has it fair share. Neither of us have had any shifting issues at all.
I definitely agree, seat positioning (jam it close!!) and knowing the shift pattern/shifter/clutch are key to successful shifting.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
While there are a few isolated issues with the transmissions most tranny issues are misdiagnosed and the clutch is the main problem. Additionally installing a new shifter may help but it does not fix shifting problems. There are many of us that have the MGW and still have shifting problems on track. There's no reason why a shifter would fix a clutch problem. ;-)

5 DOT 0

Established Member
I've encountered peddle stick and lock out on the road course and on the street.....Pretty annoying...Thinking about changing the clutch out.
You should take it to your dealer and make Ford fix it. Mine's going back tomorrow morning.

justthebest

Driving like it's my job
Established Member
No issues here - pounded it on the track the other day too. No lockouts / over red line downshift issues.

RTD

Established Member
I have not experienced any clutch sticking, grinding, whine, or cold shifting (beyond what you'd normally expect) issues with the MT82.

I have experienced 3rd gear lockout at/near redline. Before anyone says driver error, I have no problem hitting 2nd, 4th, or 5th at full throttle 7500 RPM. I also have no problem hitting 3rd at 6900 RPM or so, but if I try to hit 3rd at or near redline most of the time it's like hitting a brick wall it just won't go in. During normal driving, there's nothing unusual feeling about 3rd so it's not a bad synchro or bent shift linkage or anything like that.

If I had to guess, it's probably a combination of factors. The factory clutch and hydraulics are probaby marginal at 7500 RPM already, the shifter contributes to lack of precision with the way it's mounted, but something specific to the trans makes 3rd gear more difficult than the others and the other two factors just push it over the edge. That's why some people get resolution with aftermarket clutch and shifters and some don't.

Just my $0.02.

Users who are viewing this thread